Serbia & Bosnia (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Planning a trip through Romania & Bulgaria to Greece and then in to Croatia.A route to Dubrovnik can go through Serbia and Bosnia.Foreign Office says ok but some hoops to jump through if driving.Can go north again through Romania and Hungary and therefore all EU countries if best. Have others done Bosnia & Serbia,what about insurance ,etc .Good or bad experience ?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Planning a trip through Romania & Bulgaria to Greece and then in to Croatia.A route to Dubrovnik can go through Serbia and Bosnia.Foreign Office says ok but some hoops to jump through if driving.Can go north again through Romania and Hungary and therefore all EU countries if best. Have others done Bosnia & Serbia,what about insurance ,etc .Good or bad experience ?
If your insurance covers I don't think their is much to worry about but occasionally Bosnia has very slow border routines. Serbia I don't know from recent times, used to be hard work at times. If it helps I believe there is still a ferry Dubrovnik to Split with Jadralinja, it cuts out the Bosnian corridor and I think is still quite cheap and gives a good inter island cruise. Used to be 12m long and 4m high. 2 years since I was there and things can still be a little fluid with rules but worth the effort I think.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I may route more time in Greece and then ferry Igoumenitsa to Bari (Italy) which has a ferry to Dubrovonik .A small ferry then to Ploce from Trpanj with Jadrolinija .
Early thoughts.Thats a lot of ferries and cost against fuel/time to stay on land avoiding Bosnia & Serbia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I may route more time in Greece and then ferry Igoumenitsa to Bari (Italy) which has a ferry to Dubrovonik .A small ferry then to Ploce from Trpanj with Jadrolinija .
Early thoughts.Thats a lot of ferries and cost against fuel/time to stay on land avoiding Bosnia & Serbia.
Not easy to know the best option. While I would be the first to say that spontaneity is the beauty of motor homing careful planning is sometimes essential and can lead to more pleasure. Whatever you decide enjoy it.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yes in 1991, then 1993, then again in 1994, before my final trip in 1999.

Had no problems travelling at all:)

IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG
IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I can tell that both @JockandRita and @cliffandger went there in 2017 and both enthused about their trips. Both also drove the very short route across Slovenia and many including me have recently checked our Insurance for that route and they now cover us.

Whilst I'm sure that doesn't answer your quetions it will attract the two helpful parties mentioned to your thread.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

My insurance covers me for Serbia, check your green card cover. Once there it's toll booths (3yrs ago Hungary - Bulgaria approx 12 Euros under 3.5t) and you can pay in Euros. Bulgaria you'll need to but a vignette at the border cost 8 Euros under 3.5t or 27Euros up to 12t for 7 days. A vignette is also required for Romania cost 6 Euros under 3.5t & 20 Euros up to 7.5t for 7 days
Be careful at the borders of Bulgaria & Romania, you'll find several kiosks/offices offering to sell you vignettes all at varying prices, shop about, buyer beware!.

Bulgaria....
http://www.tolls.eu/bulgaria
Romania
http://www.tolls.eu/romania

If your thinking of using one of the Greece - Italy ferries then the following might be of some use

2018 Early Booking !
Minoan Lines & Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - GreeceItaly - Greece

20% discount on all passenger and vehicle fares!
Valid for all your ferry trips from 01.01.18 – 31.12.18 as long as your booking is finalized by 28.02.18 !
Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - Greece

When booked through Greekferries Club!
Schedules and prices for 2018 are available on their website...
http://greekferries.gr/

Pete

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

might be of interest

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
I can report that Serbia is now a very easy transit route compared with only three years ago, I came down from Bulgaria to Spain via Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia in November and the Serbian border controls were pretty much the same as other eastern EU borders as long as your documents are in good order. Gone are the days of demands for 250euros for " transit insurances " and other skulduggery ! They are now, of course, in the queue for joining the EU club and are being closely monitored. They will want sight of all vehicle and personal documents and will stamp your entry in the passport, not necessarily for the exit though.I have no knowledge on Bosnian border controls but it is not a place I intend either visiting or transiting any time soon ! I will be leaving the " Costa Tropica " and returning home to Bulgaria in about six weeks time and will be again transiting Serbia, any notable changes I will report here. One thing to remember is Serbia is still NOT in EU, switch off your mobile and data connections to avoid large roaming charges, it is easy to forget - how do I know - don't ask !!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We drove the 9km stretch of the Nuem Passage with no problem at all. There are border controls but we were waved straight through, both ways.

Just found this on t’internet - hope it helps.

http://split.gg/neum-corridor/

It’s only 9kms but it’s a beautiful stretch of coastline.

I did a thread on our trip - as Paul @Popeye said we had a brilliant time. Didn’t go the route you are planning on, but if you’re interested it’s here ...

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cliffandger-grand-tour.129781/

Have fun whichever way you go (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I can tell that both @JockandRita and @cliffandger went there in 2017 and both enthused about their trips. Both also drove the very short route across Slovenia
A slight correction to your post Griff, , ie, did you mean Bosnia/Herzogovina, rather than Slovenia? If so, Rita and I only went as far as Split, whereas Cliff & Geraldine carried on across those borders, and onward to Dubrovnik.
It may be a crossing for us, on another occasion, as we absolutely loved the whole area. (y)

Just left JockandRita last week at Benicassim .Did not think to discuss with him .
Bu##er @mojo, that's another opportunity missed for a wee wet and a natter. ;) I would have loved to have had a chat with you about Croatia, etc, over a beer. (y) From what I read above, it would appear that more up to date and accurate info appears to be available.

Good luck. (y)

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Done the Adriatic highway Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Albania route. And also the Slovenia, Croatia Serbia and Macedonia (FYROM) route. Apart from Mostar I found little of interest in Bosnia. Macedonia however was a real eye opener. 1971 was the last time I was there it has changed beyond all recognition. Really enjoyed it, highlights where Lake Orhid and the old ottoman Turktown of Skopia. A bonus is that it is the cheapest country in Europe IMO.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
My insurance covers me for Serbia, check your green card cover. Once there it's toll booths (3yrs ago Hungary - Bulgaria approx 12 Euros under 3.5t) and you can pay in Euros. Bulgaria you'll need to but a vignette at the border cost 8 Euros under 3.5t or 27Euros up to 12t for 7 days. A vignette is also required for Romania cost 6 Euros under 3.5t & 20 Euros up to 7.5t for 7 days
Be careful at the borders of Bulgaria & Romania, you'll find several kiosks/offices offering to sell you vignettes all at varying prices, shop about, buyer beware!.

Bulgaria....
http://www.tolls.eu/bulgaria
Romania
http://www.tolls.eu/romania

If your thinking of using one of the Greece - Italy ferries then the following might be of some use

2018 Early Booking !
Minoan Lines & Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - GreeceItaly - Greece

20% discount on all passenger and vehicle fares!
Valid for all your ferry trips from 01.01.18 – 31.12.18 as long as your booking is finalized by 28.02.18 !
Anek / Superfast Ferries Italy - Greece

When booked through Greekferries Club!
Schedules and prices for 2018 are available on their website...
http://greekferries.gr/

Pete
Thanks for that,lots of info to go on and all the other replies.
I bet if I asked how to tour Siberia someone will have done it !

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Beograd (Belgrade) is worth a visit a grand city under the Hapsburgs.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Glandwr, that avatar is bugging me.We toured from a base at Chirk and the falls look familiar .Memory fails me by name but think they are tallest in UK and taller than Niagra ?
Am I mistaken ,what is the name.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back