September in Cornwall or Scotland (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We've got the month of September free to either go to Cornwall (original plan) or head north and visit Skye and tour Scotland. We've been to cornwall a few times in our pre MH days so know it fairly well. Only been to Scotland once around the Crainlarich area and thought it was really nice apart from the midges! Would appreciate any thoughts from the experienced funsters on pros and cons of both from a MH perspective in September. We live in Lancs so both are a fair drive. Thanks all.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just spoke to my mate in fort william .
he says he has just had 9 days of no sun . so no solar power . it was 3deg last week up there. and the weather is forcast bad for next week.
he says its the worst summer he has known up there .
he lives fullltime in his m,home . so requires sun .
he is putting his gas lights on just to keep some warmth in his camper while he works .
been nice in cornwall today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Based on all the very positive responses from you all (thank you) I think I've just about persuaded my beloved that turning left at the end of the M55 and heading north rather than turning right and heading south would be best for us. I'd be very grateful for any suggestions about a good tour of Scotland to consider and some recommended sites along the way. We've only been once before and don't know it well. Got 4 weeks in total to go at. Thanks again
WE live in Devon and only access Cornwall out of school holidays so September would be OK - trouble is we find a lot of the more lovely parts of Cornwall very inaccessible in our 7.6 m MH - our vote would be the west coast of Scotland - particularly Arisaig on the road to Mallaig and the coast line above Ullapool - really beautiful and all very motor home friendly. Where ever you end up going - enjoy!

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We did part of the NC 500 last SEPTEMBER and we had the best weather of the year......absolutely shorts and t shirt stuff.........wild camped mostly and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Applecross sunset won't let you down(y)

Upvote 0

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
We're off up to Ullapool tomorrow for a couple of days; going down to inverewe for a night and going round the amazing gardens then over to Skye staying at dunvegan. Then crossing back to the mainland on the arisaig/mallaig ferry taking in the Highland games at glenfinnan on the way back on Saturday (y) If it rains ...... hey ho ...... it's beautiful and just the sort of trip a MH is made for. Can't wait!

Upvote 0

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We are going to Scotland and staying on Skye for a few days then crossing to Harris and Lewis for a week at the beginning of September.Looking forward to it.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
On my way to harris back in may
20160528_154514.jpg

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We will be at Musselburgh for a few days after Lincoln. Will the 24 hours per day winter have started by then? :cold:

Upvote 0

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
We toured Scotland in April/May, our favourite site was the Forest site just outside Aviemore, if you go there try to get in the Pine Tree section. If you have dogs there are loads of nice walks from the site. Nice ski type bar just off the site.
Our second favourite was the CCC site on Skye, lovely wardens/owners.

Upvote 0
Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We will be at Musselburgh for a few days after Lincoln. Will the 24 hours per day winter have started by then? :cold:

Why is everyone coming to Musselburgh when I'm leaving after 65 years. It might be cold outside but you should get a warm welcome from the honest toun.(y):D

Upvote 0

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Well folks. For all those voting in favour of a trip to Scotland then we're just back from recharging our batteries up the west coast.
We started at Ullapool at the Broomfield holiday park. Quite busy and you can't prebook but great location and really handy for a walk into the town. Lots of folk doing the NC500.
Then down to Poolewe to the CCC site for a night. Again great location with magic sea views and a lovely spot.
Next day down through Gairloch and Torridon and onto Skye. Did the whole circuit ..... anti-clockwise right up round Uig and stayed overnight at Kinloch campsite at Dunvegan which again has spectacular sea views.
Next day continuing down to Armadale to catch the ferry to Mallaig and then home via Glencoe.
A magic trip ....... batteries fully recharged.

Some tips........
1 The midgies were a bit fierce at night so either net hats or lots of smidge required.
2 If you're on Skye or probably most other Scottish islands just now, fill up with diesel ON the island. There's a subsidy scheme on the go just now and we filled up 5p a litre cheaper than on the mainland.
3 if you're using the Armadale mallaig ferry, make sure you pre book it as the queues for those that were not booked were mad.

Finally I've got loads of cracking photos and will try and upload a few once I've worked out how to do it.

Cheers

Bob

Upvote 0

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
view from kinloch site looking over dunvegan

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
image.jpeg

Towards Ballachulish bridge from Loch leven

Have some great panorama shots but sadly too big for the site.

We had about 4 hours of rain in the 5 days we were away

And as others have said there are plenty of wildcamp spots on the route with great views and all safe....... Scotland at its finest :love:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Some great thoughts and photos to consider- thank you for sharing them all. I think I've got my beloved thinking Scotland is for us this time subject to me keeping her well away from the midges. I'm thinking the East coast should be midge free but maybe it doesn't have the same beautiful scenery as the west coast or, maybe Dumfries and Galloway? I think it's fairly midge free?? Possibly doing 2 weeks there then going back up to Skye ect in October when the midge season has ended. Failing that heading up the East Coast but have no idea what to expect? I don't want to put her off touring Scotland on our first trip there in the MH. Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Some great thoughts and photos to consider- thank you for sharing them all. I think I've got my beloved thinking Scotland is for us this time subject to me keeping her well away from the midges. I'm thinking the East coast should be midge free but maybe it doesn't have the same beautiful scenery as the west coast or, maybe Dumfries and Galloway? I think it's fairly midge free?? Possibly doing 2 weeks there then going back up to Skye ect in October when the midge season has ended. Failing that heading up the East Coast but have no idea what to expect? I don't want to put her off touring Scotland on our first trip there in the MH. Any thoughts/guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks
The west coast is so so so much nicer than the east. Dumfries and Galloway lovely but you need a separate trip for that.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Hi JS, I'm from Eberdeen and whilst the East Coast is not nearly as picturesque as the West it still has its merits.
There are much fewer midgies and they are not as vicious as those in the West.
Stirling, Pitlochry, over Glenshee to Braemar/Ballater and Royal Deeside is very nice and we used to stay in those locations as well as Banchory and Aboyne a few years ago when I was a tugger.
From Aberdeen you can go up Speyside and take in the distilleries and the like up there then head back down the A9 from Inverness which is also very nice - or go down the Great Glen via Spean Bridge/Fort William/Glencoe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Many thanks for this, it's good to get feedback from someone who's done it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back