Separate storage container for drinking water (1 Viewer)

electrajohnt

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am a newbie
Anyone got any thoughts on this. The on board clean water tank is probably ok for washing up etc but straight drinking water I would feel better taking from a dedicated container or even filter. Has anyone got a system they believe to be ok for this.

JohnT

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
never thought about it, as we only drink the water from the tank in coffee,so its boiled first,otherwise its usually beer for me and G&T for wifey,,,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
As I havent yet gotten round to cleaning the tank since we bought it in feb we carry a 25ltr water bottle.
This also double as my main method of filling the tank when at home as I cannot hook up a hose.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Our tank is new too but we use a couple of empty plastic 4pt milk bottles filled from the camp site tap for drinking.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We have a 5 litre plastic container filled with fresh TAP water cause McNav has to have her mix Water Salt Lemon, else we drink from the tank, cleaned and sterilized twice a year with Home brew bottle sterilizer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
In UK we use a 5ltr water container and fill up from the mains.

On continent, France and Italy we use bottled water, Germany,Switzerland, Belgium we use water container and tap water.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We drink from the main tank, after putting the water through the Brita filter first :Smile:

Also use the correct treatment for the fresh tank to ensure that any blackspot, algae or impurities are taken care of ::bigsmile:

Tasteless, odourless and peace of mind :roflmto:

image.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We drink from the main tank, after putting the water through the Brita filter first :Smile:

Also use the correct treatment for the fresh tank to ensure that any blackspot, algae or impurities are taken care of ::bigsmile:

Tasteless, odourless and peace of mind :roflmto:

View attachment 26134

And now the right way up :Doh:

image.jpg

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I use a 5ltr water container for drinking water and a 2ltre milk container full of water in the fridge for really cold drinks , showering/ washing up and washing and everything else comes out of the tank. never had a problem in thirty years of using this method in the caravan.

Tank is sterilised when draining down for winter and again on reusing in the spring.
Never buy water

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And now the right way up :Doh:

View attachment 26135

I use Aqua Tabs once or twice a year if the van has been stood for any length of time. Learned years ago:
1. Not to use them too often (leads to off flavours)
2. To flush the system properly after use (otherwise leads to off flavours)
3. To ignore the use by date (the ones we have are a year or two out of date and still fine being foil wrapped).

Main test is that once I have filled the tank I try a drink. If it tastes OK it is OK :thumb:::bigsmile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We don't use the main tank for drinking from - I don't trust all the nooks and crannies that I can't see, and I've seen the gunk that collects on the pump filter. I've also seen the bog cartridge flushers who use the drinking water tap on airs.

We fill three 8 litre containers with tap water from home before setting off and use that for drinking. When it runs out I buy more 8 litre containers of water in the supermarket. That way we don't risk a case of the Bombay Trots spoiling the holiday.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I use Aqua Tabs once or twice a year if the van has been stood for any length of time. Learned years ago:
1. Not to use them too often (leads to off flavours)
2. To flush the system properly after use (otherwise leads to off flavours)
3. To ignore the use by date (the ones we have are a year or two out of date and still fine being foil wrapped).

Main test is that once I have filled the tank I try a drink. If it tastes OK it is OK :thumb:::bigsmile:

We use a similar system but leave out the aqua tabs and the flushing. ;-)

After rendering the water in one of our caravans totally undrinkable or even usable for hot drinks after sterilising our pipe work we swore to avoid all chemicals other than the chlorine that comes in the tap water. Never had a problem since and always drink the tank water now.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
As my m.home was 9/ 10 years old when I bought it and I'd no idea how / if / when tank had ever been cleaned, I use a 5 litre water bottle refilled from drinking water tap on site. Always use this for dogs/ cats.
Only time I've filled the container using a hosepipe that was connected to the tap I had a bad stomach, as did the dogs.
Having worked in West Africa in the past, I've seen just how many bugs can be picked up from different water sources......some were very grim. And inside of hosepipes, inside of tanks (I.e dark, wet) are brilliant places for bugs to thrive.

Previously I'd found a bought water container gave a "plastic" taste to the water so the 5l drink the spring water, then refill seems to work best.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We use a couple of 5 litre containers for drinking water OH is very insistant on this though I'm not as van is only a year old. My whiskey nightcap as I write it diluted from the tap. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use the 20p bottles of water from Sainsburys/Tesco/Aldi.

Never have a bad cup of tea :thumb:

We also do this, would never dream of buying bottled water at home, but for what this costs it's worth it , in my opinion for piece of mind and it also gives you more water capacity, and no risk of polluted water or bad taste.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We also do this, would never dream of buying bottled water at home, but for what this costs it's worth it , in my opinion for piece of mind and it also gives you more water capacity, and[HI] no risk of polluted water [/HI]or bad taste.:thumb:

are you sure about that ? ..

plenty of reports say otherwise.. try Googling.. here's one I just picked at random http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norm-schriever/post_5218_b_3613577.html

also consider the environmental impact.. another picked at random.
http://ecowatch.com/2014/04/07/22-facts-plastic-pollution-10-things-can-do-about-it/

If you don't trust your tank.. refill a 5lt plastic bottle by all means..

if you don't trust the site tap.. and I don't blame you, give it a good spray with bleach, then run for a few seconds before using..

I always do that before filling the tank.. you get some odd looks .. but I don't care.. I've seen all sorts cleaned at drinking water taps .. From dogs being washed, to people washing feet, and even rinsing cassette toilets when there is a dump facility with a dedicated tap.. :Angry:

Who would ever have predicted that you could sell water from a tap, sounds crazy when you think about it, .. Next it will be canned fresh air, and it will sell .. :Doh:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
are you sure about that ? ..

plenty of reports say otherwise.. try Googling.. here's one I just picked at random http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norm-schriever/post_5218_b_3613577.html

also consider the environmental impact.. another picked at random.
http://ecowatch.com/2014/04/07/22-facts-plastic-pollution-10-things-can-do-about-it/

If you don't trust your tank.. refill a 5lt plastic bottle by all means..

if you don't trust the site tap.. and I don't blame you, give it a good spray with bleach, then run for a few seconds before using..

I always do that before filling the tank.. you get some odd looks .. but I don't care.. I've seen all sorts cleaned at drinking water taps .. From dogs being washed, to people washing feet, and even rinsing cassette toilets when there is a dump facility with a dedicated tap.. :Angry:

Who would ever have predicted that you could sell water from a tap, sounds crazy when you think about it, .. Next it will be canned fresh air, and it will sell .. :Doh:

We've seen plenty of that too.
Terry uses antibacterial spray he gets some strange looks as well.
We now use the hikers pump to filter water we drink instead of buying water as we did when abroad.
Never buy it in UK.
At Stratford we were informed to boil our water from the bowser so we used
the filter again.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Like most former caravanners we have a seperate food quality water container for drinking water & if in doubt about the cleanliness of the site water tap we give it a wipe over with an anti-bacterial cloth then just run it briefly before filling. We got into this habit before as water from a warm Aquaroll tastes awful & seems like a sensible precaution to do now so no upset tummies for us!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I fitted a dedicated tap and inline sausage filter to my water system,
Only used for drinking and normally we only have hot drinks so boiled as well,
Our other liquid intake is wine/ beer/ fruit juice,
The filter cost about £ 6 and lasts a year, it removes all the plastic taste but probably not any bacteria,
I have had the same system at home for 15 years and only replace the filter when we start to taste chlorine,

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have never bought bottled water in my life and have always filled up with water from the site whichever country I am in- have never suffered from the dreaded stomach bug. Am I just lucky?

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The only water we buy is what comes out of the tap at home! Unless we have to pay for the borne on an aire

Been camping /caravanning/motorhoming for most of our lives at home and abroad and not dead yet.

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
our mh is 25 years old this year and we have owned it for one year.
so,given this we really didnt expect the water to come out safe.we use a 10 litre container with a tap on and it sits on the work surface for drinking.however we have tried boiling it but there is a definate slimey taste to it.
i have no idea how to get all the nooks and crannys clean and bug/dirt/germ free without replacing it all.i have ordered some puriclean and will keep on trying but i suspect it will never happen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back