Separate storage container for drinking water (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi We use the 5 litre water bottles available from tesco or similar and fill these before we set off. We keep a clean empty 2 litre milk container on the sink area which is enough to fill the kettle a couple of times and can be kept in the fridgetc -the the main tank water is used for washing etc although we do sterilise and flush at the start of the season and empty the system at the end of the season/winter.
We use the tank water to cook in though if required for vegies etc.
:Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi We use the 5 litre water bottles available from tesco or similar and fill these before we set off. We keep a clean empty 2 litre milk container on the sink area which is enough to fill the kettle a couple of times and can be kept in the fridgetc -the the main tank water is used for washing etc although we do sterilise and flush at the start of the season and empty the system at the end of the season/winter.
We use the tank water to cook in though if required for vegies etc.
:Smile:

Bought our Hymer from Germany in 2006. Noticed some odd taste when not used regularly but we have always from day one used the tank for drinking. When I was leaving the van in storage I drained the tank and drove to the storage site with the bung out, so that all the old water was out. I replaced the bung on arrival at the compound.

We have been full time since early 2010 and have filled up from Fuentes, Beach taps, etc. while abroad or from Aires and campsite taps. In the UK we fill from any available source. Yes we have bought some sparkling water from a shop but that was not because we doubted the on-board water.

We are still healthy and have suffered no tummy bugs. Our tank has not been empty since 2009.

pamella

Free Member
Aug 19, 2013
walsall, west mids
Funster No
MH
c class?
Exp
our mh is 25 years old this year and we have owned it for one year.
so,given this we really didnt expect the water to come out safe.we use a 10 litre container with a tap on and it sits on the work surface for drinking.however we have tried boiling it but there is a definate slimey taste to it.
i have no idea how to get all the nooks and crannys clean and bug/dirt/germ free without replacing it all.i have ordered some puriclean and will keep on trying but i suspect it will never happen

actually it was aquaclean i ordered as it arrived today.that will do to sterilise the 10 lt butt.
i wonder if anyone has used puriclean??
they state to be able to clean pipes and all??

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I use Aqua Tabs once or twice a year if the van has been stood for any length of time. Learned years ago:
1. Not to use them too often (leads to off flavours)
2. To flush the system properly after use (otherwise leads to off flavours)
3. To ignore the use by date (the ones we have are a year or two out of date and still fine being foil wrapped).

Main test is that once I have filled the tank I try a drink. If it tastes OK it is OK :thumb:::bigsmile:

I don't really have a treatment schedule, I just use them as and when I think I need too :thumb:

Also never follow the one tab per 25lt rule. I use them at about 3-4 tabs per 135lt fresh tank ::bigsmile:

Never had any issues with taste etc, but I'll be keeping a taste bud out for it "just in case" :winky:

Thanks for the info :thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I chlorinate mine about four times a year using Milton tablets I put 28 in at Stratford and when I got home emptied it into the waste tank where it will stay for a couple of days then drained away. We drink from our tank sometimes but not often, although I would say it is ok to make tea and coffee with:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back