Semiautomatic and automatic gunfire in Crete this morning ! (1 Viewer)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Crete is 2hrs ahead of the U.K. - woken by gunfire - a bit like listening to thunder coming nearer or going away - it stayed pretty close for about half an hour - has moved away now - good time for a cuppa. :)

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Oops I think I spoke too soon - it’s getting nearer again now! :)

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
That must have been disconcerting, did find out what was going on?

No - but I expect they were shooting up new road signs that might have been put up by the council? - there are very few road signs here that don’t have bullet holes in them - a local tradition I expect - and I did switch off my flashing blue lights on my alarm system :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
EF20F515-96E4-43D2-B070-C0AC656E1CDF.jpeg
Keep you head down and think of England seriously be safe

Thanks - anyway I’m towing a bigger one than they have that I found in Sougia a couple of days ago - and usually think of Wales! :)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
S
anks - anyway I’m towing a bigger one than they have that I found in Sougia a couple of days ago - and usually think of Wales! :)[/QUOTE said:
Sougia is on my list of places to visit on Crete. Looking for a base there for about 4 weeks if you have any idea's. Its many years since i was there in a beaten up V Dub :) be there for about 10 weeks in total.
Thanks

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

Well - I think Sougia would actually be a good spot for you if you don’t mind parking up with naked backpackers camped on the left hand side of the beach looking out to sea. A handful of camper vans and Motorhomes there too!

The access to that area is not suitable for a tag like mine so I stayed at the opposite end where the coaches park up during the day - good spot is beside that canon! :)

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Probably a wedding or something.

I think they have strange traditions ( and gun laws) in Crete

Yep - firing has started up again now and it’s just gone mid day here - a lot of automatic weapon firing and a lot of activity coming from a villa high above the beach - now stopped and a load of pickup trucks winding down the hillside with horns going- a wedding no doubt of a local Mafia member - probably a shot gun wedding lol. :)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The Greeks have a habit of accidentally(?) turning a wedding into a wake at the press of a trigger.

Even if they shoot into the air, what do they not understand about gravity.

Also what do they not understand about blanks?

And I have spent 40 years listening to them telling the world that they were the inventors of Civilisation/ Democracy and the Universe.

I think Donald Trump must have Greek blood;):LOL:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The hunting season started the week after I moved to Cyprus. A list of human casualties was in the paper most days. Alcohol for lunch then walk across scrub land with a loaded, unbroken shotgun.
One idiot shot across a dual carriageway and a woman driver, window down, got shotgun pellets in the side of her face.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The Greeks have a habit of accidentally(?) turning a wedding into a wake at the press of a trigger.

Even if they shoot into the air, what do they not understand about gravity.

Also what do they not understand about blanks?

And I have spent 40 years listening to them telling the world that they were the inventors of Civilisation/ Democracy and the Universe.

I think Donald Trump must have Greek blood;):LOL:

And this is Crete and apparently they have even more disregard for Greek gun laws than on the mainland due to their historical past invasions by various armies.

The firing went on well into the evening but a lot further away presumably at the Church and reception - the amount of ammo they must have used would be staggering!

I managed to record a bit of it and will post on here when I work out how to transfer it.

I did quiz a local with regard to blanks and as you say - they only use live ammo.:)

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Don't panic I'm in Crete if you need back up lol. Are you tiring the island ? Something I would love to do.

OP
OP
Freespirit1

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Don't panic I'm in Crete if you need back up lol. Are you tiring the island ? Something I would love to do.

Thanks but I think the bride will have sufficient attention! :)

Yes - going everywhere :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back