• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

WANTED Semi Automatic A frame Tow Car (1 Viewer)

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
Newish semi automatic quality A frame tow car wanted 07533448712 if anyone knows of one available or will be coming available.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It may help if you define "Newish" and "Quality"

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Is an A frame legal?
(That will make sure your thread stays at the top):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RVFUN

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Still looking..
Please no more sarcastic replies like popcorn comments like this are rude and unhelpful & if we are looking for an a frame we obviously have considered traffic law !!!!
We are genuinely looking if any funster has something suitable please pm us. We would also consider a car and trailer again if auto & 11 plate onwards. Grateful for any helpful replies .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Still looking..
Please no more sarcastic replies like popcorn comments like this are rude and unhelpful & if we are looking for an a frame we obviously have considered traffic law !!!!
We are genuinely looking if any funster has something suitable please pm us. We would also consider a car and trailer again if auto & 11 plate onwards. Grateful for any helpful replies .
I'm happy to recommend Towbars2towcars as we have had two of their cars and they currently have this on sale.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm happy to recommend Towbars2towcars as we have had two of their cars and they currently have this on sale.
Happy to add my recommendation to Towbars2Towcars. Very happy with our Fiat 500 from them - they also sell semi automatics and automatics

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I tow an UP on an A frame but not an auto. Very pleased with the car, more room and comfort than expected and I hardly notice I am towing it.

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Before the Fiat 500 we had a SmartFor2 which is automatic but can be driven in manual mode. Perfect if you only need 2 seats, don't really notice it's there. It is now with another Funster

OP
OP
RVFUN

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Thanks all for replies very helpful.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Still looking..
Please no more sarcastic replies like popcorn comments like this are rude and unhelpful...
...not sure you quite "understand" fun :confused:
Sarcasm & unhelpful is part of the package - not just a library of expertise you can get answers from... ;)
Apologies if you consider this "rude" :cool:.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This is not intended to be rude or patronising but - what is a semi-automatic?
There are two types of automatic in common use: the 'traditional' sort with a torque converter which can have a manual function (and flappy paddles if desired); and the more common variety these days which is a robotic manual. The robotic manual has a normal gearbox and clutch both of which are operated by servos controlled by an ECU. It too can be operated in manual mode (though still under the watchful eye of the ECU) and may or may not have flappy paddles.

Neither can be described as semi-automatic.

The torque converter type may not be towed (except in an emergency and then only for a short distance at very low speed). The robotic manual can be placed in true Neutral and can be towed without difficulty. Care must be taken to ensure Neutral really has been selected.

Len Amey

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
...not sure you quite "understand" fun :confused:
Sarcasm & unhelpful is part of the package - not just a library of expertise you can get answers from... ;)
Apologies if you consider this "rude" :cool:.
Sorry, totally agree with the OP. He has asked a legitimate question so why do people have to turn the thread into a platform for, in the most part, unfunny and unconnected puns? It's uncalled for.
After all, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Len Amey

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
Still looking..
I'm with you there!

Len Amey

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
There are two types of automatic in common use: the 'traditional' sort with a torque converter which can have a manual function (and flappy paddles if desired); and the more common variety these days which is a robotic manual. The robotic manual has a normal gearbox and clutch both of which are operated by servos controlled by an ECU. It too can be operated in manual mode (though still under the watchful eye of the ECU) and may or may not have flappy paddles.

The torque converter type may not be towed (except in an emergency and then only for a short distance at very low speed). The robotic manual can be placed in true Neutral and can be towed without difficulty. Care must be taken to ensure Neutral really has been selected.
Pedantic or what?????

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Pedantic or what?????
The advice about ensuring the robotic automatic really is in neutral is important. If it is not truly in neutral, towing can seriously damage the gearbox. It is also important to check Steering lock is not on and handbrake is off.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 'old' style Smart ForTwo's can be a-framed but I believe the latest model cannot (ie 2014 onwards). We have a 2010 one for sale on Ebay which doesn't have an a-frame but could have one fitted, let me know if you are interested and I'll let you have details ... funster discount obviously!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
For my VW up I have got an unchipped ignition key. This way I can release the steering, which involves leaving the key in the lock, but it can not be used to start the engine. The doors then have to be locked with the usual key because the remote will not work if another key is left in the ignition lock. If you do try start with an unchipped key a fault code comes up but I have only done this once and cancelled the code with a cheapy code reader.

Len Amey

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
All pretty obvious really, your reply was like I said, Pedantic particularly with regard to the difference between the types of auto.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Actually some of the earlier (450 and 451 models) Smart ForTwos were semi-auto, as opposed to full-auto ones, as you still had to change gear (it would change down for you it you couldn't be bothered!), it's just you didn't have to use a clutch - hence semi-auto.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Still looking..
You may have done so but unfortunately some people are totally unaware of the a-frame legality debate which I'm not going to get into.

One thing the 'fun' posts do (as that is what they are and not meant to be rude etc) is get your thread back up to the top of the list again so please don't dismiss them out of hand as being unhelpful ... they may not actually answer your question but do move it up the list so others see it. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Sorry, totally agree with the OP. He has asked a legitimate question so why do people have to turn the thread into a platform for, in the most part, unfunny and unconnected puns? It's uncalled for.
After all, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
All pretty obvious really, your reply was like I said, Pedantic particularly with regard to the difference between the types of auto.
Judging from your comments perhaps it might be a good idea to take a sip from your own 'unhelpful' cup ... depending on what potion is in it of course! :D

OP
OP
RVFUN

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
With respect I do understand fun that's why we have a motorhome and have FUN in our registration number and joined the FUNSTERS as we thought it was a fun and helpful group of likeminded motorhomers .
We have tried to do our homework and spoken to the experts at towbars to tow cars who advised that as long as we pick a car they recommend we will be fine. As the other member said with stop start there are specific things you need to do but again you can get round any issues. Also we understand the newer auto smart cars aren't suitable for towing. Thankyou for all the helpful comments. We are not mechanics so as long as it is reliable and towable with an a frame it will be fine whatever it's called.

OP
OP
RVFUN

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
I'm sorry this post seems to have gone totally off track and become personal - sorry Len grateful for your support and comments.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

It's absolutely called for :) . there are other forums that stay seriously on topic, they get about ten "on topic" posts a day and you'll wait days for a definitive answer. Is your time that precious that you don't have time to gloss over a pun or unfunny joke? I doubt it is as you spent plenty of time posting in this thread. This thread has some excellent answers within, a bit of fun or banter within doesn't matter, its takes but a few seconds to scan the posts and threads ALWAYS end up with the best answers, sometimes the diversions are fun to read, sometimes they aren't, so what. :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sorry this post seems to have gone totally off track and become personal - sorry Len grateful for your support and comments.

Did you get the answers you wanted? I'd say so...:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back