LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the easy way to identify fiat versus alko chassis is that the fiat one is painted, usually white. Alko chassis use galvanised silver metal with no paint

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
So, I am being quoted about £1400 to fully fit the VB semi comfort kit. I don't mind paying that if it is the best system and by a relatively local reputable workshop.

I won't be doing it myself, under any circumstances!! My DIY ability is limited to oil, water and tyre pressures!!

Is that a good price? And is VB the best?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Have you priced up the Dunlop, get loads of lift - minimum .5bar max 7bar (wouldn't want to drive it at that height though)

IMG_3879.jpg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My mechanic'ing skills are pretty basic. Fitting the bellows was very easy. Although I did get an EasyTop kit partly because their design avoids the need to extracting the u-bolts. The hardest part was routing the air lines to the cab. Which is mainly common sense and zip-ties. Took me an afternoon.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I had VB VB semi comfort kit fitted in 2019 for £975 + vat. Is VB better than other makes, can't say as only had experaince of VB, very happy so far. Makes a massive difference to the driving characteristic.

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I had VB VB semi comfort kit fitted in 2019 for £975 + vat. Is VB better than other makes, can't say as only had experaince of VB, very happy so far. Makes a massive difference to the driving characteristic.
Who was the fitter?

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Also, on the Dunlop and VB systems, can the left and right sides be operated independently?

And are there any other recommended systems?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Also, on the Dunlop and VB systems, can the left and right sides be operated independently?

And are there any other recommended systems?
I used EasyTop. Never had any issues with it. Never had to top it up due to leaks. And it has a bolted seat design which means you don't have to remove the existing u-bolts.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I want to fit air suspension to rear of my Hymer B544. It's on a Fiat Maxi chassis so rated at 4250kg.

I've asked a couple of suppliers on ebay if theirs will be okay, and they all look the same to me, but can't seem to get a straight answer, if any answer at all. Quite frustrating !

So has anyone fitted same to a Maxi chassis ?
I had VP fitted to my B544 with a max Chassis also up rated to 4250. There was an issue with the chassis, thought is was to do with the seat belt fixings for one of the back two which meant they had to do a bit of cutting and welding. Used Rosmia who were very professional. It also made a huge difference to not only the ride but also the clearance to the back which used to catch us out boarding some ferries particularly in Italy where the back used to ground.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
DDJC Mine was fitted by Full Circle of Banham Norfolk NR16 2HS Tel: 01953 887951. www.fullcircleenterprises.co.uk

Yes the VB system operates each wheel independently by a simple flick of either of the toggle switches.

What I will add is; if your looking for a large increase in overall height, you might be surprised how little rear air assist actually increases the overall height. I have read on the forum where others are gaining 4-6inches, mine at 30-40cm is nowhere near that. It could be that other manufactures offer that option, as said earlier, I've only had experience of the VB product.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Long story made short - wife has bad knee, I have (soon to be fixed) bad hip. Trip to Whitby last year led to realisation that we will have to take our car as 8m motorhome can’t go everywhere. Lots of help on here led to Watling Engineers in St Albans in June for a tow bar and later same month to TAS Chesterfield for an A frame, again after advice from here. Recently read this and other threads and realised that the tow bar at at the rear of our Autotrail Delaware will bottom out on occasion. Just booked into Glide Rite in Liphook in June for rear air ride to be fitted. Hopefully that will sort out my wife’s knee problem😂, although a private operation may have been cheaper!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
more years ago than I wish, I worked with a friend to extend and convert a flatbed pickup to a car transporter. Due to an increased overhang, we had moved the rear axle back as well, we needed to gain extra height so fitted airbag suspension. Not the little ones sold in kits on ebay, proper big ones used in tipper trucks. We could lower the back end to just off the road and lift it fully loaded 22 inches, with very good handling on the road

Semi air as it is referred to simply replaces the bump stops with air bags and can only lift about 80mm at the wheel arch absolutely maximum. The ride won't be comfortable at the maximum setting. The rear overhang from the centre of the rear wheel back is what will make a difference in the lift with the same bags on different vans. The sellers on ebay likely know very little about the mechanicals of how they fit and any gain to be made, but will know the size of the bag so you can calculate the lifting range

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
more years ago than I wish, I worked with a friend to extend and convert a flatbed pickup to a car transporter. Due to an increased overhang, we had moved the rear axle back as well, we needed to gain extra height so fitted airbag suspension. Not the little ones sold in kits on ebay, proper big ones used in tipper trucks. We could lower the back end to just off the road and lift it fully loaded 22 inches, with very good handling on the road

Semi air as it is referred to simply replaces the bump stops with air bags and can only lift about 80mm at the wheel arch absolutely maximum. The ride won't be comfortable at the maximum setting. The rear overhang from the centre of the rear wheel back is what will make a difference in the lift with the same bags on different vans. The sellers on ebay likely know very little about the mechanicals of how they fit and any gain to be made, but will know the size of the bag so you can calculate the lifting range
Thanks. So a lift of 80mm (only when needed for ferries etc) would be fine for me. But Alberto's post saying that VB only gives 30-40mm may not be enough. That's only about an inch and a half.

What additional rear height do funsters get on their systems, and what systems do they have? Also, do people with different mohos get different results using the same air system?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
mine has vb full air so not applicable, but give 6 inches or more at the towball

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When my previous van was on the original suspension bump-stops, it rode very low at the back. Once knackered bump-stops were replaced with the semi-air suspension bellows, I gained 5cm of ride height at the wheel arches even with the bellows had nothing in them. My van was the 'light' 3.3t chassis though. I don't think Fiat designed it for light duties, it wasn't designed to have half a house permanently loaded in the back!

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
SandraL Yes, although not bad for three years and probably high demand recently. I spoke to the owner and the sales director and it appears both their sites are busy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back