May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome
Hi Paul
The VB kit was fitted by Full Circle Enterprise of Banham Norfolk.
SV Tech uprated from 3700kgs to 3850kgs
The MH had previously been uprated from 3500kgs to 3700kgs by SV Tech
Thanks Derry. I think I'm very limited as my weight limit on the 794-T is 3850Kg out of the box. Think I may go for the uprated tyres to 225 to aid the overall stability. I did ask an agent to fit VB Coils and Shocks but this upset the handling of the MH, which was a shame. Still, plenty of time to sort all that out as I don't think we'll be going anywhere soon.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Thanks to everyone who responded.
I spoke to the CAMC this morning and pointed out that others had confirmed that they had not been charged for this modification (including some people also insured through CAMC).
They said that there was nothing they could do as it was the underwriter (Highway) who had requested the additional fee. (They did indicate that they had also added an admin charge).
I have reluctantly paid the fee, but it is now very unlikely that i will renew with them in Jan 21.
I just hope the semi air suspension is worth the additional cost. Our motorhome hasn't moved since i fitted it 3 weeks ago!
Regards
Ian.
If it helps we were very pleased with our semi air suspension(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It depends on your base chassis. We have a Carthago on a Alko chassis, in order to go from 3700kg to 3850kg we didn't have to do anything other than a paper exercise but the axle capacities remained the same, ie 1850kg front and 2000kg rear. This didn't help us though as it was the back where we needed extra capacity so we had to have semi-air fitted on the rear which meant our rear axle capacity was upped to 2240kg, but the overall limit is still 3850kg even though the axles add up to 4090kg, it just means we have the ability to use some of the unused capacity of the front axle on the rear.

The ONLY way we could go to 4005kg (the highest safely possible for the base) would be to have the front suspension improved too but as it's neigh on impossible to use more capacity upfront than we already have there's no point.

We already had 225 tyres so that wasn't something we had to do fortunately.
If you understand it, it's not hard. Another example my mates Carthago E-Line was plated at 4500kg the max axle weights totalled 4700kg. He wanted to go up to 4700kg, SV Tech said he had to fit new rims & tyres & air to the rear it was the only way they would consider it. I had a chat with him and he could cope with the rear axle at 2500kg as there was plenty of room to move stuff forward under the double floor so he just needed an extra 100kg so he could make use of the spare front loading. I suggested he tells JR that he wanted an upgrade to 4700kg keeping the same axle weight which he did all sorted. SV Tech wouldn't even do that. So you do need some knowledge yourself to get the best advantage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back