Selling your van on eBay? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Any recommendations to do this or horror stories? Obviously with a reserve figure.
You get such a wide audience to advertise to it might be worth the fee. Thoughts?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I sold an 8 month old car on eBay without any problem.
I used a classified as as I knew what I wanted for it and had an offer within 10% of it.
When he collected both he and his wife did 10k bank transfers (I think this limit still applies) so I could see the money in my account and the rest was paid cash.
As with any sale of expensive kit, you need to feel that the buyer is genuine and if in doubt tell them no deal.
Auctions on the other hand do tend to attract some cheeky sods offering to take it off your hands today as long as it's being given away.
Gumtree I think may be a better alternative as it's designed more for you getting a phone call enquiry and usually cheaper or free.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We put our old one on eBay and gumtree if I remember . An x funster member saw it . Then got inTouch through pm on fun .
They'd seen it when we'd first gone out as a family in it to a fun rally . Fell in love with the layout as we did .
They were never able to find another coach built with the same layout , and all the ones they'd looked at like ours were sheds .
So , when they saw ours , re upholstered in a modern style , they knew it was ours .
They came to look at it . Payed by bank transfer . Putting a fiver into a couple of accounts first to make sure they were the right ones . Then transfered it all over think it was around 25k if I remember . No problems .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Forgot to say we had a few begging messages on eBay .
E.g. X army with no leg , fought taliban etcetc now widowed left with children . Can't afford to pay much . But needs to spend quality time with kids :crying:Will you accept 15k etcetc
And the working away on rigs will send a courier over to pick it up . Buy without seeing it etc

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
So generally no reason not to?
Gumtree first seems a good idea

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Apart from possible timewasters your only concern is that the payment method is genuine.
I usually take the view that if they call and ask questions about anything but the price they are probably genuine. Asking to discount before viewing is usually a sign of a time waster

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
So generally no reason not to?
Gumtree first seems a good idea
I sold mine on eBay, but do use the classified ad rather than auction. Fixed fee very reasonable and it's just like using the local paper but with a much wider audience.
Don't reply to any messages outside the eBay platform in case they send you dodgy links, always sign in to your messages from the eBay website page that you have opened up from scratch.
You can give out your phone number and I found it was easy to distinguish between dodgy buyers and genuine buyers after a chat on the phone.
Of course take necessary precautions when arranging inspection.
Good luck

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Anyone used autotrader to sell? Or just eBay and gumtree? We're just getting the annual service and MOT sorted then selling our RV

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
So you've made the big decision! What do you fancy getting next?
We're not too sure but seen a few layouts that would suit us. I've got my list of must haves, would likes, etc. Found on our travels that we missed out on some great places as we were either too big or too heavy. Will be spending a lot of time abroad so don't need the internal space the same. Exciting new chapter!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Out of curiosity what is the charge to sell a vehicle on e-bay

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I sold mine on eBay, but do use the classified ad rather than auction. Fixed fee very reasonable and it's just like using the local paper but with a much wider audience.
Don't reply to any messages outside the eBay platform in case they send you dodgy links, always sign in to your messages from the eBay website page that you have opened up from scratch.
You can give out your phone number and I found it was easy to distinguish between dodgy buyers and genuine buyers after a chat on the phone.
Of course take necessary precautions when arranging inspection.
Good luck

Agree with all of this. We sold our last one through e-bay classifieds. We had a couple of people offering to turn up with a bag of cash, and buy the van unseen, for a reduced price :LOL:, but the dodgy folk are easily spotted. The purchasers paid on-line by bank transfer, in our presence, and we let them drive the van away as soon as the money showed up in our account, about 15 mins later.
We listed with Autotrader, too, but had no response from there. We wouldn't hesitate to use ebay again.(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Just treat it the same as any other online selling resource. No different to autotrader, gumtree or anything else, just has a very wide audience. Best part is the ability to add loads of pics and write as much as you like for the fixed fee.
Just vet potential buyers the same as you would with any other selling tool. It's great for advertising, just be sensible.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Van before last we sold on an eBay classified for £36k, found most of the timewasters were from Gumtree & Preloved.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I've sold two motorhomes on eBay. Neither fetched as much as I'd hoped but both sales went ahead successfully.
Expect to have no nails by the end of an auction.

Deleted User
We sold ours last week via ebay classified, I probably wrote way too much on the advert, but left zero option for daft questions to be asked. Made it clear would only accept payment via bank transfer and we would expect any genuine buyer to contact us, speak to us view the van in person and would need to verify themselves with ID such as bills and driver's licence and we would check things such as facebook. Worked got a buyer, poor chap was just a little bit afraid of me at the start but by the end worked out great. We then bought next van from Ebay few days later. Both transactions done via online banking, sending small test amounts before paying balances with all parties present, monies went through instantly, V5s done instantly online as well.

Lin :)

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Advertised my van on eBay classified, Autotrader Motorhomes section and on here. The only interest I got was 5 enquiries from Autotrader, all queuing up to view. Sold to the first who came to see it.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Advertised my van on eBay classified, Autotrader Motorhomes section and on here. The only interest I got was 5 enquiries from Autotrader, all queuing up to view. Sold to the first who came to see it.
One buyer is all you need, 2 is nice.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sold many vehicles on gumtree and a couple on eBay, not so keen to sell on eBay as their fees are sometimes outrageous think my last car advert cost me £70 all in to sell it and they give you a ticking off if you sell it elsewhere whilst your add is running
They seem to forget it's your vehicle and therefore your choice who you sell it too.
Gumtree I prefer but you do get around 5 time wasters for every genuine buyer some who it's their hobby just to waste people's time

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Only had one time waster,

"Consider it sold, I have problems with my eyes and just had open heart surgery so will arrange a courier to collect"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I've put 2 vehicles on Ebay in the last 4 weeks, both for "Buy it now or best offer" The first sold for full asking price, cost £10 listing fee and £10 on completion of sale. Second vehicle cost me £10 to list, I then withdrew after a week because I sold privately with no extra cost from Ebay.

Pete

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've put 2 vehicles on Ebay in the last 4 weeks, both for "Buy it now or best offer" The first sold for full asking price, cost £10 listing fee and £10 on completion of sale. Second vehicle cost me £10 to list, I then withdrew after a week because I sold privately with no extra cost from Ebay.

Pete
They charged me £10 listing fee and £57.65 final Value fee on a £1900 car

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
From my experience:

On here: free No leads.
Ebay: £18.48 No leads
Autotrader £30 5 solid leads and the sale

Ebay was in classified sales and had nearly 400 views, 20 watching (what for?) don't know how many views on Autotrader as it's not available on motorhome sales, and 188 views on here.

Description, price (£33950) and photo's were just about the same in all adverts. Would only use eBay as last resort with a similar sale in future.

Edit; Should say I had a guaranteed £28000 trade in price from a dealer for a new van expected in the next month.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back