Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Hi there, had our motorhome parked up over the winter, and now moving to Devon so think the 2003 Kontiki 665 has to go :-(.
Done lots to it, now has self seeking Sat dish solar panels flat screen TV rear cameras, 760 sat nav etc. Did contact Johns Cross as they were advertising for stock, but not bothered to get back with an offer, anyway any ideas on Dealer/Ebay/Ads ?
Just don't want all the hassle of tyre kickers. :-( and stripping all the bits off it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2 for sale on autotrader gives an idea of value. You will get more privately I'm sure than from a dealer.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We got half the original list price for our 11 year old MH from a dealer. There was damp detected in the boot and hab doors and it had averaged 5000 miles a year. It had a solar panel and a manual sat dish added and had always been parked outside. I was quite happy with only 50% depreciation over 11 years, but it was a part ex for a new one so we had a bit of extra bargaining power.

Yes, we might have got a bit more on a private sale, but recent eBay sold listing prices would suggest otherwise, plus you have to deal with time wasters and nit pickers. Worth shopping around with dealers - if you're going down that route I'd suggest starting with your nearest Swift dealership as they'll know the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes well we payed £23,000 without all the extras, but buying and selling are two different things, did have a look at some adverts, trouble is you can advertise for what you want, but its if they are selling at that price.
Trouble is in the past I have brought cars spent a fortune making them outstanding then ended up selling them for less than I played in the first place :-(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Adding stuff is for your own benefit, but it maybe of no interest to someone else, we have no tv or sattilite in our van and never felt the need, and if someone is just thinking of useing sites and hookup they won't be interested in solar, so I'm afraid you are looking at base van prices, you may be lucky and get someone interested private, but dealers are not interested in add ons.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes get that,We like the solar as don't need to pay for hook up and have been parked next to a van with a generator!!!!!!!
My better half likes her soaps so everyone is happy:)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
With the last van we sold we got an idea of prices by contacting some of the adverts in the back of MMM magazine to be fair most came back quickly and the prices were similar, some did not come back at all. The prices were based almost solely on the year, mileage, model and engine, extras mattered little. We also got PX prices from 2 dealers selling vans around the same price as the one we bought, by showing some interest in their vans. This all gave us some piece of mind that the deal we went with was fair(ish!).

If we do it again then PX is easier, but you will always get a bit more privately and people will value the extras, dealers don't seem to, perhaps they want to sell the extras or discount them to make the sale more attractive

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I have completed a very satisfactory deal with Highbridge motorhomes. They offered me very good trade in which I was happy with. As I am not picking up the new until the 11 January, they suggested I tried to sell it privately as I was likely to get a better price. I did as they suggested and have sold it at a better price . One pleased customer I can now afford a couple of extras fitted to the van.

Colyboy

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Quiet time of the year at the moment. Dealers will be keener when spring comes, you can't blame them as it would be dead stock during winter.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as said its a buyers market for the next couple of months so low prices offered. a dealer will offer a price based on a basic van with no extras.
best place to offer for sale is on mhf or with more agro ebay

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Agree that extras make little difference to the value of a van, but can make it more attractive to buyers.

The previous owner of my van made a big point of the self-seeking satellite system, Sky box and fancy flat screen TV when bargaining with me on the price. He'd just spent £750 on an upgrade to it. He looked a little crestfallen when I explained that I haven't even got Sky TV at home, so having it in the van made no difference to me, and that we don't really watch TV on holiday anyway. As far as I'm concerned it's more dead weight that eats into the payload. The TV is useful for playing DVDs for the kids on long journeys, but a cheap one will do fine. To others though, the whole setup could have been a very attractive extra benefit but I don't think it makes much difference to the value of the van, just maybe makes it a bit more attractive to some. At a Dealers, I doubt very much it makes any difference to the price that they offer.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Thanks yes I know what you mean about the accessories, but if you want them as an after fit its not just the items but the labour to fit them, like the rear view cameras sat /tv/Dvd and the Motorhome Sat Nav are all wired into the ignition and wiring loom so could remove them and sell separately but seem such a shame :-(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why does moving to Devon mean the MH has to go ... don't they like them there??? o_O

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you are really wanting to sell, you are at least a month to soon with everyone just getting over Xmas and paying the credit card off, when that's done and the sun hopefully comes out , thens the time for thinking about holidays, you are only going to get folks wanting a cheep bargain at the moment, and they won't be thinking of added value, only what they can knock off, and not knocking your van but 2003 is getting on a bit, so I'm afraid you are not in the best position for selling at the moment, and can't see many dealers even considering it, not being nasty just stating facts.:xsad:

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Well we only used the van to visit family in Devon and a few MH shows, so living in Devon means we will just go out for days in the car, and selling ads a bit to the house buying budget :)
As for 2003 I guess its what it can do, not the age :) only 25,000 miles and top of the range! so would put it up against any "modern one"
No mad rush to sell but as said spends most of its life parked up, so if someone wanted a early start on the season, she's ready to go.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not do an ad on here as someone might be interested in it, it won't cost you anything but a bit of time to put the details on here.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Yes thought about it but as said back and forth to Devon at the moment looking at property, so thought a quick sale might be easer but yes will have to get around to taking some pictures.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
No rush to sell then hang on at least another 2 months..
In the end it will be better than money in the bank...
You will have a lot more interest, even from dealers as the spring starts and people are looking for vans.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
i understand about having to sell your van, we had to do the same when we moved to wales no way would it get onto our new drive as the lane is narrow and turning in would be preventive, so we sold back to the dealers, and in may i had to sell my brother-in-laws van due to lack of use. we advertised it on ebay at a price he was happy with, ( he works away from home during week). within a hour we had a call saying they would like to view following sat long story cut short after viewing he left a £100 cash deposit arranging to collect the next weekend and pay cash, when we contacted the buyer to say we wanted bac transfer he ranted and raved saying he dont do bank etc and then kept turning mob off so couldnt contact, i texted him to either collect van or it would be on the market in 7 days. didn't get a reply so re add, and a dealer rang agreeing to the price if it got a new mot and would pay by transfer and wait while sis in law checked it was transfered, ( sold to him) in the meanwhile another chancer rang saying he would collect next day bring cash and take away and how far from hereford are we. told him it had to be by bacs, and to google the distance course nether saw or expected him as i didnt give the address, why they give cash is they do the deal on sat when banks closed and some money legit rest counterfit, also the van was kept in storage so if anyone came to our house they wouldn't see the van, only brought the van home when buyer due and parked on neighbours who have more room. and the £100 paid for a nice meal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i understand about having to sell your van, we had to do the same when we moved to wales no way would it get onto our new drive as the lane is narrow and turning in would be preventive, so we sold back to the dealers, and in may i had to sell my brother-in-laws van due to lack of use. we advertised it on ebay at a price he was happy with, ( he works away from home during week). within a hour we had a call saying they would like to view following sat long story cut short after viewing he left a £100 cash deposit arranging to collect the next weekend and pay cash, when we contacted the buyer to say we wanted bac transfer he ranted and raved saying he dont do bank etc and then kept turning mob off so couldnt contact, i texted him to either collect van or it would be on the market in 7 days. didn't get a reply so re add, and a dealer rang agreeing to the price if it got a new mot and would pay by transfer and wait while sis in law checked it was transfered, ( sold to him) in the meanwhile another chancer rang saying he would collect next day bring cash and take away and how far from hereford are we. told him it had to be by bacs, and to google the distance course nether saw or expected him as i didnt give the address, why they give cash is they do the deal on sat when banks closed and some money legit rest counterfit, also the van was kept in storage so if anyone came to our house they wouldn't see the van, only brought the van home when buyer due and parked on neighbours who have more room. and the £100 paid for a nice meal.
This is not necessarily so, I have bought and sold three motors on eBay for cash, never had any probs.

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Just as an up date we gave them the benefit of the doubt as it was the Christmas period, but still no response from Johns Cross after initial contact to value our Motorhome, just rude and poor Customer service.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have completed a very satisfactory deal with Highbridge motorhomes. They offered me very good trade in which I was happy with. As I am not picking up the new until the 11 January, they suggested I tried to sell it privately as I was likely to get a better price. I did as they suggested and have sold it at a better price . One pleased customer I can now afford a couple of extras fitted to the van.

Colyboy

Same when we trading in Buffy with Geoff Cox. We didn't actually sell privately as I only advertised once and had three people come look. One just came for a day out, another was a first timer and thought she could have six people in a four berth / four travel seat van (including a child who was, sadly, confined to a wheelchair) and one who was just unpleasant.

He tried to tell me that the refillable gas system (professionally fitted by Autogas 2000) was no good, illegal and he would have to remove it. I said I would take it out to save him the trouble. Then he started with the reversing camera (supplied and fitted by Dave Newell so not the cheap Chinese camera he tried to tell me it was) and I told him to either make an offer or leave and that I had a guaranteed trade in so would not be budging on price. He left. Can't be doing with people like that.

As Jemima had her delivery delayed we were pleased we didn't sell and we traded in for a price we were happy with. Geoff Cox sold her within a couple of weeks as well so all parties were happy with the outcome.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Did contact Johns Cross as they were advertising for stock, but not bothered to get back with an offer, anyway any ideas on Dealer/Ebay/Ads ?
Just don't want all the hassle of tyre kickers. :-( and stripping all the bits off it.

Andy did reply to your enquiry and invited you to bring it to us for a valuation

Peter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Peter

Not the most desirable as it is a big van (6 berth) with only 2 seat belts, they suffer from corrosion around the skirts. The chap was emailed and invited to bring it along for inspection.

Cheers

Andy Marchant

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Just as an up date we gave them the benefit of the doubt as it was the Christmas period, but still no response from Johns Cross after initial contact to value our Motorhome, just rude and poor Customer service.
I would suggest you withdraw that comment as it is totally bad taste and untrue

Peter

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
As I said gave them the benefit of the doubt and no reply after they asked the year.
So advertised on the Net and got the full asking price the next day :)
So "Bad Taste"? and "untrue"? make up your own minds.........

OP
OP
Bluestar

Bluestar

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Class
Exp
10 years.. On and Off
Like to do things on email then you have a record of the conversations.
Anyway whatever, no sides to take just giving feedback for what its worth.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like to do things on email then you have a record of the conversations.
Anyway whatever, no sides to take just giving feedback for what its worth.

"...just giving feed back for what its worth."

I am a tad confused.

Did John Cross get back to you as stated somewhere on this thread or did they "not bother" as stated in the OP?

If they did get back to you and invited you to bring it in for a valuation, I suggest a whopping and grovelling apology to them is due.

I suggest you do it here so other folk, who might be considering using John Cross but have been put off by what you posted, know what really happened.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back