Selling Private or Selling through a dealer (1 Viewer)

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Considering selling the motorhome privately. The local dealer is telling me that the same laws apply to me as a private seller as they do to him as a dealer. He claims the law changed about a year and a half ago. I had a quick google and found the consumer rights act that states the trader/dealer has to give a refund if faults are found within 30 days. Can someone tell me if this law applies to a private sale and what are the buyers rights when buying from an individual as opposed to a dealership

many thanks in advance

Steve

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I think if you buy private, it's bought as seen and tested. It's a gamble when spending a few grand on a motorhome, but might be better for you to sell private if the dealer won't give you what you want for it against another one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I can't remember the full details but it's something like you have to declare any known faults or issues. Slightly different to the previous sold as seen.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The advantage of selling to a dealer is that there's no gap between the current and next vehicle.
Selling privately may not provide a financial gain but is likely to incur hidden costs and hassle.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have just been turned down on a part ex with a dealer for a brand new caravan against our MH.
Apparently the MH is too expensive for them to take in stock, so I may have to go private as well.
I had thought about an agent or one of the companies that buy MHs and caravans even though I realise that I will lose money on the deal.
I will be interested to see what private sellers rights are.

Incidentally, the swap is purely for logistical purposes.
We prefer the MH, but needs must.

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
The dealer is not correct. You can look up the Consumer Rights Act 2015, sites like 'Which' give advice. It is interesting to get into motor trade association -type sites where they give warnings to dealers about the new consumer rights (and in some cases how to avoid them) If you sell privately I think you need to be pretty 'straight' but it is 'buyer beware'.

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have just been turned down on a part ex with a dealer for a brand new caravan against our MH.
Apparently the MH is too expensive for them to take in stock, so I may have to go private as well.
I had thought about an agent or one of the companies that buy MHs and caravans even though I realise that I will lose money on the deal.
I will be interested to see what private sellers rights are.

Incidentally, the swap is purely for logistical purposes.
We prefer the MH, but needs must.
Hi I sold an auto trail chyanne tag axle with 4000 Miles on the clock in part exchange for a Bailey Pegasus and they gave me the difference back in cash, try Robinsons Caravan Chesterfield

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Go private.

Sold as seen.

Give an honest discription, a thorough handover and honestly priced, then sold as seen.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I had a three and half year old caravan , had it from new in total I had 15 faults in 3 years so I sold it to a Main Dealer taking no part exchange, lost a packet but at least I can sleep comfortably knowing the buyer would get some sort of Warranty , as far as I know there were no faults when I sold , now bought a new Motorhome "full of faults" correcting most of them myself , new parts on order , have been for 2 months !!! parts to be fitted by dealer, example of one fault leisure battery is under passenger seat I found battery gassing pipe not fitted to battery , pipe left jammed undr seat frame , battery was fitted by dealer not by M/Home maker ,I despair

Tony A

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
The dealer is talking bollocks.. private sale, sold as seen, no warranty implied or given.

The onus is on the buyer, if he wants to drop £30k and not do due diligence, thats his funeral, get an AA vehicle report , or someone independant to help view it.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If selling privately you have to declare any known faults else they could be due a full refund.l know someone who had damp in their mh and didnt declare it.
New buyer got 5k back or else he was going to take him to court.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
If selling privately you have to declare any known faults...

Interestingly when we bought our second hand mh from a dealer he claimed not to know of any faults as he only insured it once a sale has been agreed in principle and then remedied any issues. An unscrupulous dealer might take advantage of that... And it does lead to a bit of a chicken and egg situation, bit actually he was true to his word and did some expensive repairs before we signed on the dotted line, having had an independent inspection done for us.

Perhaps it needs something like the 'home buying' pack for private sellers...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back