LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If someone presses Buy it Now ( and so prevents anyone else bidding)
Then does not meet criteria stated in listing I.e paying deposit.
And also wants me to wait 2 weeks before they collect/pay remainder.

Can I relist ?
Can they do anything?

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Report them to ebay and (probably) relist stating the reason why in no uncertain term.
Thanks --- can't find Thanks button.

Just giving Southern Electric ( another) bo****ing then I' ll get back on Ebay....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Report to ebay and cancel the sale.. Otherwise ebay will still charge you the selling fees...
I had it last week.. Big letter.. UK POSTAGE ONLY.
So a guy in USA orders... :doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree, report and re-list. I've not suffered many time wasters over the years (and we used to sell on eBay as part of our business) but it is the only way to deal with them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with the advice..

Couple of weeks ago I listed a 10ft trampoline.. no reserve, cash on collection.. it sold for ÂŁ40.. .
I paid ÂŁ20 for it on ebay two years ago , so well pleased.. then I looked at the winning bid location.. South London, about 80 miles from us..:doh:
I thought, no way will someone do a 160 mile round trip for a 40 quid trampoline.. fuel alone would make it uneconomical.. new ones only about ÂŁ80 - ÂŁ100

So I emailed and asked when it was being collected .. and the guy said, if convenient, next day.. so I gave my address. Frankly I didn't expect him to collect.. but he did, came with his wife.. they were delighted.. so never judge people.. I had this guy down as a waste of time.. :blush:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If someone presses Buy it Now ( and so prevents anyone else bidding)
Then does not meet criteria stated in listing I.e paying deposit.
And also wants me to wait 2 weeks before they collect/pay remainder.

Can I relist ?
Can they do anything?
I had this problem selling a car earlier this year. I got them to pay a decent deposit of ÂŁ500 on a ÂŁ1500 old car. It took two weeks to finally complete but with the ÂŁ500 in my pocket I was comfortable with it all. The balance was paid in cash by the way. Don't trust PayPal if they are driving off in your car but it was OK for the deposit.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks everyone. You really are a very supportive group!
I'll let you know what happens.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I sold a motorbike trailer on ebay. a cheap one, ÂŁ80. The guy hit the buy it now button ending the listing, (I even put a note " you are bidding to buy not to look, if you want to look contact me to arrange") then when he came to collect looked all over the trailer, shaking his head a lot for over half an hour, before parting with the cash. I would not use the buy it now feature again, in an auction you can go to the under bidder, but the Buy Now button stops this.

OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
. a cheap one, ÂŁ80. The guy hit the buy it now button ending the listing, (I even put a note " you are bidding to buy not to look, if you want to look contact me to arrange") then when he came to collect looked all over the trailer, shaking his head a lot for over half an hour, before parting with the cash. I would not use the buy it now feature again, in an auction you can go to the under bidder, but the Buy Now button stops this.

Totally agree with you. I'd never use it again but first time I've ever sold a vehicle on Ebay. Live and learn, I suppose.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
'Buy It Now' doesn't necessarily mean pay instantly unless you the seller specify it as an option in your Account Control Panel (Account > Business Policies). That's the only way you can ensure instant payment and automatic re-listing if it doesn't happen. The minimum period most buyers have to pay in eBayland is 3 days before a non-paying Buyer case can be opened against them on the 4th day either by the seller, or by the Unpaid Item Assistant which can be set to do it automatically. Once a case is open they have a few more days to pay or cancel, and if neither happens they have a non-payment strike logged against them. Two such strikes can lead to blocking or restriction of their future buying. You can block any bidder with 2 or more non-payment strikes in the previous 12 months via your Account Control Panel (Buyer Requirements). eBay at long last are beginning to tighten up on non payment, and I had an e-mail to that effect only this morning. The downside of their 'case' system is your item is offline for the best part of a week. eBay are now waking up to seller complaints and are beginning to insist that some buyers with suspect buying history pay straight away anyway, whether you specify it or not, but only they can know to whom that applies. They will also award automatic positive feedback to the seller if the buyer doesn't bother to leave any feedback within a set time.

The solution to your problem is to demand payment in full by PayPal only either instantly or within 3 days, and not to bother with deposits and payment on collection. I've never done this and nobody's ever quibbled about it, but I don't sell vehicles so maybe it's different there. I've no intention of ever letting anyone turn up with a large mate in tow and try to haggle on collection. Payment up front prevents that. There's a perfectly adequate returns/refund/partial refund system if the buyer isn't happy with the item. You should also specify a 'collect within' time in the listing so it's all crystal clear. I also specify payment deadlines based on buyers' feedback ratings, but that's just a personal policy and not one that eBay will support within their 3 day limit. 0-5 feedback get 24 hours, 6-49 get 2 days, and 50+ get 3 days - I haven't had anyone take more the 2 days apart from a complete non-payer a few months ago. Most pay straight away.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wont bid for anything these days on ebay, it's a closed shop. The only way I will is on 'local collect' sales, where I know that someone's robot in London isn't going to place a last second bid. So I only 'Buy it Now', and message to seller to ask if they want cash on pick up, or PayPal. (Small items only). I also wont buy from anyone with a poor sales record.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
I have sold a lot of items on Gumtree, free to advertise, I collect payment by bank transfer and only remove the add when I have the loot:)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
You can easily request to cancel the sale & get your selling fees refunded & then you are free to relist - go to your Sold Items, click on Actions then Resolve A Problem. You can then request a cancellation stating your reasons then the Buyer will get a request to cancel email from eBay & if they confirm cancellation then your selling fees are automatically refunded. Even if the seller is being an idiot it is worth sending them a polite positive email at the same time explaining your need for quick payment & asking them nicely to either pay now or confirm cancellation but still thanking them for their interest - you may want to say quite different things to them but everything is weighted strongly in favour of the buyer on eBay so worth biting your lip to get a quick end with minimal loss & hassle! We have been sellers (& buyers) for many years now & have found that this approach works best as otherwise there are some nasty people out there who will give you negative feedback even if they are in the wrong & one idiot can spoil years of good sales & adversely affect future sales for over a year! Sometimes though it a genuine lack of knowledge, mistake or misunderstanding that can be resolved by communication. We have had to cancel quite a few items bought (not paid for) by kids using their parents account especially around Xmas time & overseas/long distance buyers wanting large collect only goods sent by courier! Good luck & let us know how it all goes....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back