selling my van - attempted fraud ? (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My van is on ebay, lots of watchers but no one has contacted me as yet. My mobile number on advert for viewings...Someone called Howard sends me a text. saying cant get hold of me which is rubbish (why not through my ebay account) he wishes to buy van. gmail address attached but no number to return call (getting the picture?)

I email him back saying how can I help, (BIG mistake) in seconds I get an email on my gmail account (that I dont use on ebay) saying congratulations! Blah blah and a link to sign into ebay (obviously fishing for my sign in details). Now I like to think most not daft enough to fall for this but I was stupid enough to email him back!

be careful out there!

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Broken Link Removed very nice .. as you know I'm looking to buy similar next year..

can I ask why you are selling.. ?

are you sitting comfortably as its a long story:sleep:

when I bought it in February I was waiting for two operations and health was precarious to say the least. I wanted the Revolution model which had just come out but was expensive and decided to go for this one as it was a good deal. My health while not great is a lot better and kicking myself that I did not go for the Revolution. while my van has a brilliant swing out bike rack. I would rather carry £7k worth of e bikes inside.

My wife thinks i'm bonkers and probably right, this will be my 10th van in 20 years so a nice round number. I have agreed a PX price which is OK but with cash I can squeeze a better deal. If it doesnt sell no big deal as its a smashing van.....thats the trouble with being retired, to much time on your hands!

here is the van:

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
are you sitting comfortably as its a long story:sleep:

I did not go for the Revolution. while my van has a brilliant swing out bike rack. I would rather carry £7k worth of e bikes inside.

Broken Link Removed

I'm curious as to how many,and what sort of e-bikes you get for £7k and where they fit inside the van ?
Our Giant bikes were £1400 each and I doubt if they'd fit inside a Globecar.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm curious as to how many,and what sort of e-bikes you get for £7k and where they fit inside the van ?
Our Giant bikes were £1400 each and I doubt if they'd fit inside a Globecar.

One Haibike Xduro (just under £3000)

On Riese & Muller Delite Mountain (£4000 - on order)

The Possl/globecar Revolution is a high top with electric bed. you can store bike inside in garage and sleep above

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
One Haibike Xduro (just under £3000)

On Riese & Muller Delite Mountain (£4000 - on order)

The Possl/globecar Revolution is a high top with electric bed. you can store bike inside in garage and sleep above

Fascinating-the line between e-bikes and trials bikes is getting very thin it seems.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was watching the video for the possl van and then watched this is it me or does it look extremely rough? and its petrol

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its american that's why.....

I don't think yanks do swivel seats.....probably safety. always have tons of electrics...

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've just put ours on eBay too, may I ask how will you be accepting payment? After reading Lugnuts thread, I'm slightly nervous.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Fascinating-the line between e-bikes and trials bikes is getting very thin it seems.

The Haibike was my first MTB they are so comfortable and rugged. Rough roads. Tracks, kerbs no problem....to old for the serious mountain stuff!

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The Haibike was my first MTB they are so comfortable and rugged. Rough roads. Tracks, kerbs no problem....to old for the serious mountain stuff!

too old ? lol I'm 77 and this yr I've been riding an urban fixie (single speed,fixed gear) instead of my e-bike. but,i'd love that Haibike.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not for cycling! Just the really rough stuff! :)

Air Marky, a member over on german pedelec forum.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Insist on a CHAPS payment and don't release the vehicle until you check with your bank that the payment has been credited to your account.

Can I suggest that as the money arrives in your bank that you move it to a savings account as I have heard that while it might appear in your account it may be an electronic shadow and not hard cash.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We've just put ours on eBay too, may I ask how will you be accepting payment? After reading Lugnuts thread, I'm slightly nervous.

cleared money in the bank!...have done this many times no problem. but as this thread shows lots of tricksters out there trying to access your account!

If I had sent him my ebay email address I might not of noticed it was a fraud attempt! just be careful and don't get excited..... if it sound to good to be true it most probably is!

edit: good advice above. move monies from current account to saving account ASAP

one more thing: Just realised this only happened because I have my mobile number in add (for viewings) so easy for fraudsters to contact you outside of ebay......

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just read your post about selling on e-bay.
I am trying to sell my van on e-bay.
I ALSO received a message yesterday from someone called Howard saying he wants to buy my van and tried to get in touch with me on my mobile!
Checked and there was no missed calls on my mobile yesterday.
I have replied by text asking when would he like to veiw the van.

I am now very Suspicious.

Thanks for the warning.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I actually have an account I ONLY use for such things.. Just keep a fiver in it most of the time.
Money gets paid in.. I draw it out and go pay it in to my proper account at a different bank
reason ?
Cos money can be clawed back up to SIX MONTHS after it is paid in to an account..
And moving it to a savings account at the same bank is no protection as they ( the bank ) can remove it from said account if the dosh IS clawed back..
But even that is no real protection.. Should the loot be grabbed back by the buyer the bank will then start chasing YOU for the dosh as you will be £x,000 in the red on the account !

Sadly the only absolute safe way is to accept only cash and either check all the bank notes ( I have a machine ) or take it with the buyer to your bank and pay it straight in

mapa

Free Member
Sep 16, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just read your post about selling on e-bay.
I am trying to sell my van on e-bay.
I ALSO received a message yesterday from someone called Howard saying he wants to buy my van and tried to get in touch with me on my mobile!
Checked and there was no missed calls on my mobile yesterday.
I have replied by text asking when would he like to veiw the van.

I am now very Suspicious.

Thanks for the warning.

If he does come for a look make sure he doesn't view it at the location its normally stored at. That's how my mates motorcycle got nicked.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But I thought if they want to get money back they have to ask the bank first and you have to agree.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How do dealers cope if that's the case? They are taking bank transfers for significant sums all the time.
With money laundering worries and laws, no way would a dealer accept 40k + in used notes!

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I believe a dealer is also not allowed to accept more than £10K in cash.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have just changed my ebay password for peace of mind!

Once again, thanks Judgemental

I hope you're not as stupid as me and sent them your email address...

while my ad is still up I cant access "my ebay". dont know if site down or this part and parcel of what happened yesterday

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, I also stupidly sent them my e-mail address!
I also could not access "my ebay" this morning, also it showed there were 15 watchers. Now it shows 0 watchers!
Just looked and the "my ebay" seems to be back to normal.
I have tried to contact ebay to report this scam. It is very difficult to contact them!

Pete

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Contacting a double edged sword as they will say it's all your own fault for having phone number on advert! So I won't be doing that......

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I hope you're not as stupid as me and sent them your email address...

while my ad is still up I cant access "my ebay". dont know if site down or this part and parcel of what happened yesterday
Yes, I also stupidly sent them my e-mail address!
I also could not access "my ebay" this morning, also it showed there were 15 watchers. Now it shows 0 watchers!
Just looked and the "my ebay" seems to be back to normal.
I have tried to contact ebay to report this scam. It is very difficult to contact them!

Pete

It's possible that your Ebay pages have been hijacked.
You will get through to Ebay eventually but it can take ages.
I was going to suggest ending your sale/ auction then re posting it but I'm not sure that would help.
My guess is that "Howard" has hijacked your pages into fake Ebay pages, where he now "sells" your vehicle along the lines of " pay your money into Ebays holding fund (following his link only) and the motorhome will be delivered to you"

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's possible that your Ebay pages have been hijacked.
You will get through to Ebay eventually but it can take ages.
I was going to suggest ending your sale/ auction then re posting it but I'm not sure that would help.
My guess is that "Howard" has hijacked your pages into fake Ebay pages, where he now "sells" your vehicle along the lines of " pay your money into Ebays holding fund (following his link only) and the motorhome will be delivered to you"

How? i never gave him the email address associated with the account? or logged on to the fake ebay page? page looks OK??:sick:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back