Selling motorhome on eBay - Fixed Price or Classified Ad? (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
My van will be going on the market in August and I'd like some advice, please, on selling through eBay.

Apart from the differences in fees (Fixed Price has insertion fee of £8.70 plus final value fee of £30.43, Classified Ad just insertion fee of £13.03), are there any other pros and cons with the above two methods of selling?

If you have sold a motorhome on eBay, which method did you choose?

I sold my old van to a dealer who collected. He paid transfer and cash . It took my ages to count £10,000. i took it to the bank and within 3 minutes it was counted and credited to my account without so much as a raised eye.

Reactions: maz
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Think best/safest way is to get a bank transfer-take buyer to your bank and get them to transfer money into your account at counter with help from assistant behind counter-thats what I did when I sold mine.You can also give your sort code and bank account numbers safely over phone and check online if it went in.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Think best/safest way is to get a bank transfer-take buyer to your bank and get them to transfer money into your account at counter with help from assistant behind counter-thats what I did when I sold mine.You can also give your sort code and bank account numbers safely over phone and check online if it went in.
Yes, I think bank transfer is definitely the way to go. Online should be fine I think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure where you've got the prices from but they are:

Classified: £14.99 (plus any extras you want)

Auction/Fixed Price: £10.00 plus 1% of the final transaction (min. £20, max. £35).

We only sell vehicles by classified ad now so unless you are happy to risk paying over £40 for the privilege go for classified.
Morning,

Is this still valid or have ebay changed selling fees since this was posted?

Maybe im looking in wrong place but all i can see is "When your item sells you pay 10% of the final transaction value".

Cheers

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
VAT doesn't come into it on used especially since no-one can reclaim it unless VAT registered ( and the traders only pay it on their profit ). Its a common reason deaklers give for low trade in values especially on nearly new motorhomes but a con.
Even VAT registered cannot reclaim as ther is no vat on a used motorhome, unless it was sold new to a business( rental,lease co) and they r3calined the vat at new

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Yes, I think bank transfer is definitely the way to go. Online should be fine I think.
My view
Do not take ANY payment by ANY other method than bank transfer.
I wouls also insist on proof of address of the purchaser

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Morning,

Maybe im looking in wrong place but all i can see is "When your item sells you pay 10% of the final transaction value".

Cheers
Nothing changed when you make the listing you check the box "classified add". Not sure of current prices used to be £14.99 for 28 days plus £2 for extra large photos, well worth paying the 2 quid.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Morning,

Cheers
You do not pay 10% in certain categories
Motor Vehicles is one of those “special” categories under classified ad conditions

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Morning,

Cheers
Look under classified or fixed price they are fixed fee

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
Sorry to ask this again but if you advertise your MH in the classified section do you still pay fees ?
I thought you didn't and as I'm doing the advert it says this

insertion fee £14.99
If your item sells, we charge a final value fee based on a percentage of the total cost to the buyer, minus any sales tax. Actual fees may vary, including those for special offers and supplemental service fees.

so you still pay 10%

It just runs for longer ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry to ask this again but if you advertise your MH in the classified section do you still pay fees ?
I thought you didn't and as I'm doing the advert it says this

insertion fee £14.99
If your item sells, we charge a final value fee based on a percentage of the total cost to the buyer, minus any sales tax. Actual fees may vary, including those for special offers and supplemental service fees.

so you still pay 10%

It just runs for longer ?
No final value fee for Classified adverts in the motors section ... you're not doing it in the wrong section are you? It has to be a Classified ad though, not a Fixed Price/Buy It Now which would still have final value fees charged.

upload_2019-2-18_10-23-25.png

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
No final value fee for Classified adverts in the motors section ... you're not doing it in the wrong section are you? It has to be a Classified ad though, not a Fixed Price/Buy It Now which would still have final value fees charged.

View attachment 284459

Thanks not sure where I am now will double check might not be in motors!!!
but even what you post says 1% of final value fees at the bottom

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks not sure where I am now will double check might not be in motors!!!
but even what you post says 1% of final value fees at the bottom
Yes but only under the Auction and Fixed price listing columns, nothing under the Classified Ad bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back