Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarSeeker
Exp
Since 2003
We have advertised our van - Autocruise StarSeeker - for sale and are beginning to get enquiries. If we succeed in selling, are there any formalities to follow (other than not letting it go till the cash is in the bank!) to protect ourselves when selling through sites such as EBay and GumTree? So for example, is it wise to ask them to sign a document confirming that they are buying the vehicle as seen? . . . that they have received all the documentation (which we will list, such as FSH, MOT certificates, certificate for air suspension installation, all manuals, etc.)? Anything else? I've heard that awkward people can find the smallest problem and demand their money back - and of course, they rate us as sellers but we cannot rate them as purchasers. Using these sales channels is all new to us. Any thoughts, please?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This may be worth a read.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

roaming-gill

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarSeeker
Exp
Since 2003
This may be worth a read.
Purrrrrfect. That's magic. Thanks so much.

OP
OP
R

roaming-gill

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarSeeker
Exp
Since 2003
Might be worth advertising on here in Classified section as well?
Thank you. I'm working on finding my way around the site to see what there is, and on not forgetting it before the next time I drop in again. You know how it is with new software - takes a bit of practice.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
When the money is transferred and I am satisfied, I have two copies of bill of sale made up with;

'Vehicle ? model ? registration ?

was sold to Mr/Mrs xxx for the sum of Ā£? as seen, tried and tested by them, without any warranty

on the (date) at (time)

signed (me)

signed (them)'

We have a copy each, and that's that. The reason I put the time they take it, is, if a traffic misdemeanour or an accident occurs, you have proof of when they took it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you decide you want to advertise on the Classifieds on here you will need to join up and pay your Ā£15 membership. At the moment you are a Free member and can only have 5 posts before becoming a read only member.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would be getting photos of everyone involved as well just in case

OP
OP
R

roaming-gill

Free Member
Oct 21, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AutocruiseStarSeeker
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, getting photos seems wise. Sad, isn't it, that we have to cover ourselves in so many ways these days because there are so many people out there trying to 'pull a fast one', trying to scam or trick others in some way. We've had quite a few messages leading to phone conversations with people saying they will visit TOMORROW (it's always 'tomorrow') to view, pay for and collect the vehicle same day. They are skilled at putting the pressure on with the aim of controlling the whole process - and can get aggressive. You have to be smart to separate the genuine potential buyer from the trader (I'm pretty sure they're traders) who buy fast in order to resell quickly in what still seems to be a buoyant market. Yes, we want to sell but not to those people. One chap insisted he'd visit same day 'with his brother-in-law' who would drive the motorhome after we'd agreed the sale with him. His wife was, allegedly, loaning him the money (what? - not at all sure about that). Just as he was leaving Basingstoke to drive to us in Southampton he called again to say he and his wife had looked again at their finances and found they would have to drop by Ā£2,000 'cos that's all they could afford. Pressure, pressure to drop the price. Then - and this was oddest of all - he could not pay by internet (bank transfer) but wanted to 'take us to the bank to see it in the account'. This was weird. We said no. So then he said he'd bring it in cash - Ā£20,000 in cash. Do genuine people really do this? I started thinking, 'Could this be money laundering? I don't like the sound of this - drop him like a hot brick NOW'. So we said no. He wasn't nasty but he really wasn't happy. Some are nasty. You've got to keep your wits about you. It's an exhausting process. Happy to say that in less than a week since we placed two ads in separate media we have learned a lot and sniff those people out earlier on. 'If it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger.' So true. (Can't sell through a dealer as our van (tho' fabulous - of course it's fabulous!) is 13 years old and they are not interested.)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, getting photos seems wise. Sad, isn't it, that we have to cover ourselves in so many ways these days because there are so many people out there trying to 'pull a fast one', trying to scam or trick others in some way. We've had quite a few messages leading to phone conversations with people saying they will visit TOMORROW (it's always 'tomorrow') to view, pay for and collect the vehicle same day. They are skilled at putting the pressure on with the aim of controlling the whole process - and can get aggressive. You have to be smart to separate the genuine potential buyer from the trader (I'm pretty sure they're traders) who buy fast in order to resell quickly in what still seems to be a buoyant market. Yes, we want to sell but not to those people. One chap insisted he'd visit same day 'with his brother-in-law' who would drive the motorhome after we'd agreed the sale with him. His wife was, allegedly, loaning him the money (what? - not at all sure about that). Just as he was leaving Basingstoke to drive to us in Southampton he called again to say he and his wife had looked again at their finances and found they would have to drop by Ā£2,000 'cos that's all they could afford. Pressure, pressure to drop the price. Then - and this was oddest of all - he could not pay by internet (bank transfer) but wanted to 'take us to the bank to see it in the account'. This was weird. We said no. So then he said he'd bring it in cash - Ā£20,000 in cash. Do genuine people really do this? I started thinking, 'Could this be money laundering? I don't like the sound of this - drop him like a hot brick NOW'. So we said no. He wasn't nasty but he really wasn't happy. Some are nasty. You've got to keep your wits about you. It's an exhausting process. Happy to say that in less than a week since we placed two ads in separate media we have learned a lot and sniff those people out earlier on. 'If it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger.' So true. (Can't sell through a dealer as our van (tho' fabulous - of course it's fabulous!) is 13 years old and they are not interested.)
Ive bought many vehicles with cash
I bought my burstner argos at the time with cash ... travelled down from Dunfermline to bristol with Ā£28k cash in my rucksack šŸ˜ guy did get a surprise lol
Bought several vw's around the Ā£7 -12k mark in cash also

But i admit when i bought my frankia at Ā£37k i did use bank transfer but had to do it in 2 halves over 2 days

He may well have been genuine ....and just trying to haggle.

When selling you have to be prepared to haggle ...if you want Ā£20k then ask for Ā£22k plus

I've never once in my life paid the full asking price for a vehicle...... and I've had over 700 šŸ˜‰

eurobe

Free Member
Jul 7, 2020
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2020
We put our van up on Gumtree recently and had a buyer the next day. They said that we could consider it sold and would pay the asking price. They said they wouldnā€™t need to look at it and would pay by PayPal and get the van picked up.
We were suspicious and googled the wording of the sellers reply.
It was a PayPal scam. They put the money into your PayPal account and it appears as pending. They pick up your van and then tell PayPal they havenā€™t received the goods so your money just disappears.
No PayPal no cash just bank transfer for us from now!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We put our van up on Gumtree recently and had a buyer the next day. They said that we could consider it sold and would pay the asking price. They said they wouldnā€™t need to look at it and would pay by PayPal and get the van picked up.
We were suspicious and googled the wording of the sellers reply.
It was a PayPal scam. They put the money into your PayPal account and it appears as pending. They pick up your van and then tell PayPal they havenā€™t received the goods so your money just disappears.
No PayPal no cash just bank transfer for us from now!
Would never use PayPal for a high priced item ....but then i never accept paypal as payment for anything as there are fees

But cash is perfectly fine as long as you can spot fake notes etc

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Ive bought many vehicles with cash
I bought my burstner argos at the time with cash ... travelled down from Dunfermline to bristol with Ā£28k cash in my rucksack šŸ˜ guy did get a surprise lol
He must have been a bit dodgy if he was prepared to accept 28k in cash, from a stranger!! How did he know where the cash had come from? Presumably this was before money laundering regulations, either that or he had no intention of paying it into a bank and didn't care if it was dirty money šŸ¤”

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
He must have been a bit dodgy if he was prepared to accept 28k in cash, from a stranger!! How did he know where the cash had come from? Presumably this was before money laundering regulations, either that or he had no intention of paying it into a bank and didn't care if it was dirty money šŸ¤”
I think too many people watch too much tv and are suspicious of everything.
P.s I didn't give him the Ā£28k ....i knocked it down to Ā£25k
Ive also accepted large sums of cash for vehicles ive sold and to be honest as long as its not counterfit i really couldn't care less if they earned it delivering milk or selling their asset's down the local docks lol

It was around 2012 i think .... the last one i bought at high value for cash was this one in September 2016
20200128_222951.jpg

I won the auction on ebay at 11am caught a train to Birmingham at 2.30pm got to the seller's home around 8pm checked over the van gave him 8.5k cash and drove home

Sold it 5 months later for Ā£13k šŸ˜‰
Nothing dodgy about it just an exchange of cash for second hand goods

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
We advertised our Bessacarr on eBay, had a few enquires and offers, one woman trying to make me feel grateful that she was offering us Ā£3k under asking price..... after 3 days we agreed Ā£1500 under asking price from a dealer who came to collect, bank transferred in 3 separate transactions due to single transaction limits, whilst in our kitchen. Husband checked with bank the amount was safe and secure in his account over the phone. We were happy to sell to a dealer as as we all know something can go wrong with a second hand vehicle without warning and weā€™d feel terrible if a family had sunk their savings and had a loan (as we had done years earlier) and then something went wrong with it. The dealer knew what he was looking at, knew there was money to be made and took it away and we had no worries. We could have got a bit more for it but the peace of mind was worth it for us. Itā€™s whatever youā€™re comfortable with I suppose.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
I think too many people watch too much tv and are suspicious of everything.
P.s I didn't give him the Ā£28k ....i knocked it down to Ā£25k
Ive also accepted large sums of cash for vehicles ive sold and to be honest as long as its not counterfit i really couldn't care less if they earned it delivering milk or selling their asset's down the local docks lol

It was around 2012 i think .... the last one i bought at high value for cash was this one in September 2016
View attachment 436714

I won the auction on ebay at 11am caught a train to Birmingham at 2.30pm got to the seller's home around 8pm checked over the van gave him 8.5k cash and drove home

Sold it 5 months later for Ā£13k šŸ˜‰
Nothing dodgy about it just an exchange of cash for second hand goods
You're entitled not to care where the cash had come from , I wasnt criticising you at all. I know from experience (not tv) that cash comes from places I wouldn't want to be involved in...paedophile rings being one example.

But anyhow, I was just saying.šŸ¤

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and that didn't even half empty under the mattress! :clap2: :whistle2:;):giggle::imoutahere:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You're entitled not to care where the cash had come from , I wasnt criticising you at all. I know from experience (not tv) that cash comes from places I wouldn't want to be involved in...paedophile rings being one example.

But anyhow, I was just saying.šŸ¤
Yes i suppose it does .

But you have to ask yourself at what point does your moral compass stop
You could get paid by bank transfer from a member of a paedophile ring just the same

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
Would never use PayPal for a high priced item ....but then i never accept paypal as payment for anything as there are fees

But cash is perfectly fine as long as you can spot fake notes etc
Ask them to pay you ā€œfriends ad familyā€ No fees then

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I paid on my debit card for mine to a dealer (over Ā£40K) my bank rang me to confirm. A a private seller I woud need to see the funds cleared in my bank cash, cheque or transfer. I have no trust these days too many scams. If the buyer is genuine they should understand this. as the previous post has said payment through Paypal can be challenged and Paypal assume the buyer is correct.

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
When i sold my hymercaravan, i actually filmed the buyer leaving my property(he was a rather picky annoying chap) who knew any faults with the caravan as i had sent photos and messages telling him, but still insisted on going over and over them ,however we went into bank (his) where he transferred the amount ,whist he was doing this he actually picked up my card and looked at details eg 3digit security number, when it came to him leaving ,i had told him to take his time, because the drive leads on to a busy road, and it was tight, he poohooed this ,anyway i filmed him leaving on my phone ,which was a good job,because he hit the brick gatepost with the corner of the caravan, it made a right clatter and took a chunk of tile off the post And scraped the caravan , he was oblivious to this and drove off, i sent him the video because i wouldnt have been surprised if hed have got back to me saying he wasnt happy with dent in sidewall of caravan ,so you could always film new owners driving off as proof of date and time, incase they are involved in any traffic offenses,
altho i think you can do it all digitally now, good luck, i sold discovery but someone did it for me and theycharge 10 percent,well worth it no aggrivation and they didall the paper work ,even getting my tax refunded :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back