Sellers market? (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Hi, is it a sellers market at the moment, I seem to see lots of people browsing when we are out looking at the moment. I have to say that after being out of the loop for around ten years, the sheer number of motor homes around now and for sale, is staggering. Are people choosing the motor home instead of a caravan? or moving away from caravans when they upgrade? The whole motor home thing seems to have exploded since we were enjoying getting away from it all and I am a little concerned that I may find things are a little too busy for me. I am looking on eBay and Autotrader at the moment and have seen two vans that we would have gone for, sell almost instantly!.
I am in actual mourning over losing this...

What a bloody nuisance, a mint condition van and a fantastic buy, I would have paid much more for it had I got the chance, it really pizzed me off, I actually sulked and needed beer therapy.

Also, has there been a corresponding increase in new campsites to keep up with this growth? I would be interested to know whether you guys think sites are busier than they were say ten years ago (mainly in the UK).
I think, I am asking for some reassurance that when/if, eventually, we do get our new van, we won't be hard pressed to find the peace an quiet we used to enjoy and miss so much.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have you looked on the classifieds on the forum there’s usually some very nice vans for sale on there?(y)(y)(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Hi, is it a sellers market at the moment, I seem to see lots of people browsing when we are out looking at the moment. I have to say that after being out of the loop for around ten years, the sheer number of motor homes around now and for sale, is staggering. Are people choosing the motor home instead of a caravan? or moving away from caravans when they upgrade? The whole motor home thing seems to have exploded since we were enjoying getting away from it all and I am a little concerned that I may find things are a little too busy for me. I am looking on eBay and Autotrader at the moment and have seen two vans that we would have gone for, sell almost instantly!.

What a bloody nuisance, a mint condition van and a fantastic buy, I would have paid much more for it had I got the chance, it really pizzed me off, I actually sulked and needed beer therapy.

Also, has there been a corresponding increase in new campsites to keep up with this growth? I would be interested to know whether you guys think sites are busier than they were say ten years ago (mainly in the UK).
I think, I am asking for some reassurance that when/if, eventually, we do get our new van, we won't be hard pressed to find the peace an quiet we used to enjoy and miss so much.

I'll leave others to answer the questions as the wife is asking me to cook tea as she's busy :unsure: but . . .

That van doesn't appear to have sold, the listing was ended by the seller.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Steve . I am selling my 2002 Dakota, details in the For Sale section, may be of interest...
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps it's Auto too

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have tried to book sites for the end of November and several are full !! Never had a problem with a site in November before. It wouldn't usually matter but we'll need EHU that time of year.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009

Don't think there's many more sites, but as a result I feel pitch prices have risen (supply and demand) and the two main clubs are the worst offenders.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
The governments changes to the pension rules that came into effect about two years ago has helped to boost the sales of both caravans and motorhomes. Before the changes most people at retirement with stakeholder type pensions could only take the 25% tax free from their pension pot and the rest had to be used to buy a pension for life - but the rates of return were so bad from the pension companies that Gordon Brown (Tory) stepped in and rightfully so allowed people to use the other 75% of their pension pot to invest or spend as they wished and this has now given many people large amounts of flexible money for them to invest in a pension or spend to enjoy their retirement. The later taxed as if they are still working.

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
With the amount of vans out there for sale and being relisted over and over I'd say it was definately a buyers market.

If a van is priced correctly and competitively it will sell quick but a lot of folk asking way more than something is worth doesn't.

The van you linked to ended unsold probably because someone made him an offer outside of eBay and he ended the auction

Probably less than he was asking but some get desperate for a sale

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Regarding an increase in sites, I have seen more sites turning from touring sites to static sites. Larger income less facilities to provide

Both Bashley Park and Sandy Balls in the New Forest have gone all static.

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
With the amount of vans out there for sale and being relisted over and over I'd say it was definately a buyers market.

If a van is priced correctly and competitively it will sell quick but a lot of folk asking way more than something is worth doesn't.

The van you linked to ended unsold probably because someone made him an offer outside of eBay and he ended the auction

Probably less than he was asking but some get desperate for a sale

That's pretty much what happened, they had it for sale elsewhere and it went to the first person to view it. I think it went almost instantly.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's pretty much what happened, they had it for sale elsewhere and it went to the first person to view it. I think it went almost instantly.
You may have had a lucky escape:)
Ridiculously low miles on that which isn't good for them either.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
- but the rates of return were so bad from the pension companies that Gordon Brown (Tory) stepped in and rightfully so allowed people to use the other 75% of their pension pot to invest or spend as they wished QUOTE]

I am sorry to go orrrrfffff topic but I am pretty certain that it was George Osborn as Chancellor who changed the pension rules (and he was a Tory).

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Hi, Steve . I am selling my 2002 Dakota, details in the For Sale section, may be of interest...
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps it's Auto too
I have a maximum of 6.5 meters to squeeze it into Dave,
I actually gave serious thought to knocking half the attached garage down at one point to allow us to get a bigger van on there. We last had an Autotrail Cheyene 635 SE and it fitted spot on, a great van too.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There is normally a good few bargains about in November. The 2018 models still not sold and the 2019 coming in.

The six main MoHo dealers in the NE have around 135 x MY18 vans still sitting on their forecourts and they are not shifting.

If anyone wants a cheap deal on an Autotrail, Chausson, Hymer, Burstner, Swift or RollerTeam then pop up to Durham.

OP
OP
S
Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
That certainly backs up what I have seen in Kent over the last month or so Andrew. My most common personal reaction to visiting a dealership has been 'Bugger sitting on all this stock' whats going on here?
To be honest, I think the bubble is about to burst. I have decided to hold off of buying a van and getting back into motor homing simply based on my(considerable gut) feeling that a change is afoot and things are about to go pear shaped for the vast majority of dealers.

The second hand market should get very interesting soon methinks

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That certainly backs up what I have seen in Kent over the last month or so Andrew. My most common personal reaction to visiting a dealership has been 'Bugger sitting on all this stock' whats going on here?
To be honest, I think the bubble is about to burst. I have decided to hold off of buying a van and getting back into motor homing simply based on my(considerable gut) feeling that a change is afoot and things are about to go pear shaped for the vast majority of dealers.

The second hand market should get very interesting soon methinks

I totally agree Steve - there'll be some interesting challenges ahead for sure.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I will put mine up to 35k then....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.