'Selfish' tourists parking campervan on beach (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't think the impact of this behaviour is fully evident to anyone unfamiliar with the situation on the ground. The offending behaviour was in the same vein as travellers setting up camp on the village green and abusing any objecting locals. Sadly it has disproportionately tarnished the reputation of motor homers already damaged by the small minority who park in recreationally sensitive areas and defecate / litter / behave antisocially. This will simply send a few NIMBY seafront owners into a fit of apoplexy with the result that significant stretches of roadside parking will be banned for all including the large majority who behave very well. Frankly I think it is a testament to decency of the local population that the van managed to reach the Penryn bypass with no more than a flat tyre...
But according to the paper, they didn't do any of the things you accuse them of, they simply parked up for the night.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
But according to the paper, they didn't do any of the things you accuse them of, they simply parked up for the night.
But that was against somebody asking them not to - maybe not a legal notice but respect for the local communities.

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Are you familiar with Swanpool beach chaser?

You really have to have a local's view to appreciate just how stupid these people were. If they had just pulled on to a random isolated piece of beach then maybe there could be some forgiveness, they didn't they parked bang in front of a busy beach bar where families play and even a muppet could see you shouldn't be parked. There are signs saying not to park there and and car park thirty feet away. You can't just randomly park where you feel like it with total disregard for others.
The problem is as we all get tarred with the same brush and it is only a question of time before I will not be allowed to drive down the road in the Winter when all the tourists have gone and use my van as a cosy retreat to watch the ocean and have a walk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are you familiar with Swanpool beach chaser?

You really have to have a local's view to appreciate just how stupid these people were. If they had just pulled on to a random isolated piece of beach then maybe there could be some forgiveness, they didn't they parked bang in front of a busy beach bar where families play and even a muppet could see you shouldn't be parked. There are signs saying not to park there and and car park thirty feet away. You can't just randomly park where you feel like it with total disregard for others.
The problem is as we all get tarred with the same brush and it is only a question of time before I will not be allowed to drive down the road in the Winter when all the tourists have gone and use my van as a cosy retreat to watch the ocean and have a walk.
No I willingly admit I don't know this beach, only going on the photo the cafe appears to be closed and there is no other person in sight.
And I dare say the car park says no overnight parking.

Apr 15, 2020
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance
Exp
5 years and still learning
Combining the 2 quotes, and being a Moody Blues fan for Donkey's years ...

'The Tide Rushes In,
And washes my Castles away,
And I'm really not so sure [m/home reference]
Which side of the bed I should lay ...' [transverse or singles?

:oops: :LOL:

Steve
Live hand in hand
And together we will stand
On the threshold of a dream.

Flying Fifer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Lunar H622
Exp
2014 (camper/ caravanner since 1990's)
Sorry, no motorhomer was involved with last link posted but I have heard of times when similar things have happened. Admittedly it was hired vehicles involved.

Flying Fifer

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Renault Lunar H622
Exp
2014 (camper/ caravanner since 1990's)
What a numpty the guy in yellow car was. We missed it but heard plenty about it locally.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
It seems that North Wales News or North Wales Live has a thing going against MH and camper van owners. Every week stories are published about litter, parking etc. The latest story was about a camper van allegedly parked in a cemetery entrance. No picture. No first hand account. No facts.
Around here our local paper is referred to as 'The Daily Liar' :whistle2:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
May not have been - I suspect it was a human. They're the worst of the lot.
But if the litter dropper lived in one of a pair of adjoining houses, he would have been semi human. Sadly, we shall never know ... :unsure: And if the purported offender had been Navy personnel, he may have been sub human. 'Up Perry's. Cope!'

Steve

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Screenshot_20210812-211504_Chrome.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
More police on the streets with on the spot fixed penalty fines.
I don’t know what the answer is…more police and fines to treat the symptom but the cause of the problem is still there…something has gone seriously wrong along the way. Some people just don’t give a flying fig about anything thing but their entitled little selves. It can’t have just happened overnight surely? Upbringing? Artificial colourings in food? Lack of respect and a future? I suppose we’ve always had those nasty selfish individuals around but it just appears more ‘glorified’ now.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don’t know what the answer is…more police and fines to treat the symptom but the cause of the problem is still there…something has gone seriously wrong along the way. Some people just don’t give a flying fig about anything thing but their entitled little selves. It can’t have just happened overnight surely? Upbringing? Artificial colourings in food? Lack of respect and a future? I suppose we’ve always had those nasty selfish individuals around but it just appears more ‘glorified’ now.
Ok I’m getting on a bit and will be mocked for having rose colored specs but we were taught discipline and respect for everyone and everything, these are now lacking in many of our young and their parents , a gradual decline in morals and respect which cannot be recovered and now can only dealt with using greater deterrents and policing.
We recently had some we believe Banksy work locally and folk locally loved it and some travelled miles to photograph it, then overnight some little shit has sprayed one of them with red paint.
We have unfortunately a culture that is degenerating where nothing matters to some , sad 😢

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok I’m getting on a bit and will be mocked for having rose colored specs but we were taught discipline and respect for everyone and everything, these are now lacking in many of our young and their parents , a gradual decline in morals and respect which cannot be recovered and now can only dealt with using greater deterrents and policing.
We recently had some we believe Banksy work locally and folk locally loved it and some travelled miles to photograph it, then overnight some little shit has sprayed one of them with red paint.
We have unfortunately a culture that is degenerating where nothing matters to some , sad 😢
Now iv got to disagree again what right has "banksy" got to spray walls anymore than the "little shit"

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Now iv got to disagree again what right has "banksy" got to spray walls anymore than the "little shit"
I agree chaser I was just quoting a situation where many do like it and it draws folk in for the local economy and is considered by many to be street art , what the “little shit” did could not be construed as street art but pure vandalism to make a mess of what others appreciated.
I must add that I also am an artist, nothing to do with paint though :wink:

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
expand...
"" Ok I’m getting on a bit and will be mocked for having rose colored specs but we were taught discipline and respect for everyone and everything, these are now lacking in many of our young and their parents , a gradual decline in morals and respect ""

I totally agree with the above sentiments and will almost certainly be severely criticised by many when I lay the blame on what was called, in the 60's, Women's Lib. There was and is no shame in a woman staying in the home to bring up the children and carry out household tasks, yet we were made to feel like 2nd class citizens if we didn't hanker after a career. The results of this move are evident in the generations since then who grew up without discipline and mainly maternal care and who were led to believe they could 'have it all'. Not only that, they grew up believing it was their entitlement. This attitude has led to the so-called snowflakes who can't cope with the slightest stress/bullying (teasing when I was at school) or being held to account for their actions. I feel very strongly about the breakdown of the 'traditional' family and would love to go back to those days. Nothing to do with Motorhomes other than taking our great grandson away for the summer for seven years now. For a month he is a happy youngster enjoying riding his bike, making new friends, swimming and walking. Not a mobile or ipad in sight. I could go on for hours but will leave it there.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I was accused of being sexist when expressing such sentiments at work. I pointed out that I said it was best that one parent(gender unspecified) should remain at home with young children and was not therefore sexist. There was also an inflationary aspect to creating a 'two income' society.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I was accused of being sexist when expressing such sentiments at work. I pointed out that I said it was best that one parent(gender unspecified) should remain at home with young children and was not therefore sexist. There was also an inflationary aspect to creating a 'two income' society.
Not sure that a two income society adds to inflation. The traditional economist's model is to use one or two subjects to test the theory and then scale it up. Going with the gender stereotypes, Male employee earns £75pw net and all of his income is consumed by food, housing and energy costs. His wife starts up a baking business and earns £50pw net, all of which is available to spend on improving the family unit's living standards, so they buy a small car from the local garage and have it serviced and repaired there, leading to the employment of a mechanic who buys baked products off Ms B, the Baker etc

The inflationary element will only arise when full employment/production is reached, and there is too much money chasing too few goods. My example ignores commodity price increases/fluctuations/exchange rate movements and all the other nasty economic and political events that have a habit of wrecking economic forecasts, but the theory holds good that inflation can be managed provided that economic activity expands.

There were fears among leading economists and economics journalists that Quantitative Easing ['QE']would lead to inflation, especially if the underpinning theory of injecting liquidity post 2008 crash would avoid a Depression did not result in expanded economic activity, but that proved unfounded [despite the UK Banks' greed in hoovering up the new money to shore up their Balance Sheets instead of expanding the lending to struggling businesses]. Modern Monetary Theory has evolved to embrace QE and to accommodate Governments issuing as much currency as it needs to finance their day to day operations, relying upon interest rates to control inflationary pressures. It's all very technical, and I follow the Dummies Guide to QE, including the excellent blogs and multi Tweet messages [usually in batches of 20!] written by Professor RichardMurphy. I wouldn't want to stand on Stage, though, and give a lecture on the subject! Following the theory and principles is enough for my ageing brain to cope with!

Steve

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It appears travellers tried to set up site on land in Newquay shared by a sports centre and a circus.
They were allegedly removed by the staff.
Now that's the way to do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back