Self Monitored GPS Tracker ? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

I had a 'Tracker' on my old van, it came fitted as standard.
The annual monitoring cost was about £200 if memory serves me right

My new van doesn't have one, and my insurance company (NFU) doesn't insist on one.

I'm wondering if its worth getting a cheap, self monitored GPS tracker like this one
Amazon product ASIN B003XDN58K
I was wondering if anyone has used one, or has any suggestions regarding tracking devices

Don't really want to spend £200 a year on a 'Tracker'

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Although an initial outlay is required, I have just bought a SmarTrack Protector Pro from Tracker Fit for a reduced £185 with £399 for the life you own that vehicle. I doesnt mean life as in 5 years as some do, it is for the life you own that vehicle. If you swop it to another vehicle you can, but will need to re-register.
Obviously far more than self monitoring, but another option.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No experience Robert, but my concern would be what would you do if it was stolen? would the police take your word for the information and pursue it, I seem to think they are still only set up for Tracker, wouldn't fancy a private pursuit, or even venturing into the area where you think it is on your own (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are plenty of self fit GPS trackers available and I really do see the benefits of having a tracker on board. When I had my Vanbitz alarm fitted, I had them fit the Non-Starter option, which essentially stops someone stealing your van even if they have your keys. However the Non Starter is a tracker as well, so if it moves, or is placed on a low loader, the Non starter will track it on a live google map and let you listen in if you like. I did a review of the Non Starter here >Broken Link Removed

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Hi Guys

I had a 'Tracker' on my old van, it came fitted as standard.
The annual monitoring cost was about £200 if memory serves me right

My new van doesn't have one, and my insurance company (NFU) doesn't insist on one.

I'm wondering if its worth getting a cheap, self monitored GPS tracker like this one
Amazon product ASIN B003XDN58K
I was wondering if anyone has used one, or has any suggestions regarding tracking devices

Don't really want to spend £200 a year on a 'Tracker'

Thanks in advance!

Robert
That's the exact one I have fitted in Harriet Robert, been in there for over a year now, still working fine.

Stuck a giffgaff sim with a tenner on it and haven't had to top up yet, call it at least once a week to check it's working, it has always pinpointed the van, never more than 30 feet out.

If you wire it through the relay you can send a KILL command to the fuel pump, shuts it off as soon as the speed drops below 15kph.

I believe it can also be connected to your doors and lights, etc.

Our kids all have the number, as non administrators, and can. Call her anytime and get a fix on where we are if we go silent, as you do occasionally, up to 4 extra numbers I believe.

Good value.

Vic

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are a DIY'er then may be of interest.

I have bought one but haven't got round to fitting it yet. Not sure of it's quality or effectiveness yet so can't fully recommend it.

Please note the reviews on Amazon cover a variety of devices...

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think a tracker of some sort is always a good idea and at that price it seems good value and alot better than no tracker. Having a fully integrated Alarm/Tracker with Lockdown and Remote functions would obviously be better but then it costs alot more than 22 pounds plus a 10 pound sim. I did try/play with the small TK102 model it worked, but not ideal as was not hardwired in and the battery life was rubbish. This looks a much more comprehensive product, if you can wire it up, you don't have the backup of a tracking company but at least you may be able to immobilise and find the van, without it your worse off.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
We bought some for under a fiver each. Ten quid on a SIM card and you are sorted, and after checking with a phone call now and then, still going strong. I am sure if you reported it stolen to the police they would welcome such information you could supply as to its present where abouts. Main problem with them is though, they only work where there is a good phone signal, and I am sure the clever thieves know where these bad areas are, or know how to block a phone signal. Plus once the battery on the vehicle is disconnected, the device stops working. I still think it gives you a chance to locate the vehicle to a fair degree, even though I have just told any would be thieves how to get away with my cherished vehicles.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There are plenty of self fit GPS trackers available and I really do see the benefits of having a tracker on board. When I had my Vanbitz alarm fitted, I had them fit the Non-Starter option, which essentially stops someone stealing your van even if they have your keys. However the Non Starter is a tracker as well, so if it moves, or is placed on a low loader, the Non starter will track it on a live google map and let you listen in if you like. I did a review of the Non Starter here >Broken Link Removed
Thanks Jim - isn't it possible for thieves to simply locate and bypass the Non-Starter device?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks Jim - isn't it possible for thieves to simply locate and bypass the Non-Starter device?

There's nothing visible for them to know it's even there. All they will know is that the van won't start.

Even if they did know or suspect it's located somewhere different on each vehicle. I don't even know where they've put the one on my van.
How many thieves are going to strip the dash right out on a vehicle they can't start on the off chance that there might be a device hidden somewhere?

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Although an initial outlay is required, I have just bought a SmarTrack Protector Pro from Tracker Fit for a reduced £185 with £399 for the life you own that vehicle. I doesnt mean life as in 5 years as some do, it is for the life you own that vehicle. If you swop it to another vehicle you can, but will need to re-register.
Obviously far more than self monitoring, but another option.

If it's the same one that I had from tracker fit they will only swap to another vehicle within the first twelve months

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I also had Vanbitz Non Starter Tracker coupled with the Growler, if a thief could stand that row whilst he searches for the tracker he deserves the bloody van..... it really is a nice bit of kit.

I had the insurance companies dictate that every van over £60k has to have a Thacham cat# whatever which would have meant £190 per year for me to insure the Insurance company against the loss, well that kinda defeats the object I think.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
If it's the same one that I had from tracker fit they will only swap to another vehicle within the first twelve months
@maxsdad . Thanks for the info. If that is the case it is not very well advertised. :cautious: Hopefully this one will be our forever MH . 4 weeks to go :clap:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No experience Robert, but my concern would be what would you do if it was stolen? would the police take your word for the information and pursue it, I seem to think they are still only set up for Tracker, wouldn't fancy a private pursuit, or even venturing into the area where you think it is on your own (y)
Lots of small haulage companies track their own vehicles and pass that info on to police if the trucks are stolen. If you called the police and told them where your stolen vehicle was they would absolutely act on that info.
As for big set up for tracker... tracker systems pay the cost of installing their equipment in police cars. Not many police cars have it and before the npas existed the mets helicopters wernt fitted with the equipment.
A self tracking system has to be better than nothing.

Nothing beats good physical security and good key security though IMHO.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Lots of small haulage companies track their own vehicles and pass that info on to police if the trucks are stolen. If you called the police and told them where your stolen vehicle was they would absolutely act on that info.
As for big set up for tracker... tracker systems pay the cost of installing their equipment in police cars. Not many police cars have it and before the npas existed the mets helicopters wernt fitted with the equipment.
A self tracking system has to be better than nothing.

Nothing beats good physical security and good key security though IMHO.
Thanks for that
How would you describe good key security?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I always dismissed diy trackers as useless.....no call centre so no police involvement.

I now have a TK102 hardwired.
Even if the police wont become involved it takes seconds to get a live location and with the 102 it can be tracked live....well every minute or so.
Wont be much use if the van is on a Itinerant encampment though....would you venture on and demand it back ?

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
:rolleyes:
@maxsdad . Thanks for the info. If that is the case it is not very well advertised. :cautious: Hopefully this one will be our forever MH . 4 weeks to go :clap:
Yes it's pretty well hidden in the small print can't check because all the paperwork went with the van when we sold it last week , now van less until January, going to go for a good alarm on the new one and had been thinking of one of these self monitoring trackers as well, sick of paying for the life time and then selling after two or three years but hopefully we will keep this one for ever

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have Pinpointpal tracker & works well for us as a budget option.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that
How would you describe good key security?
Key security is essential. Most modern cars and vans are stolen with keys. At home a key safe or a place that's not obvious would be the place.
It's a matter simply of not being predictable.
The amount of cars and vans stolen with keys kept on a key rack in the hall or by the front or back door is staggering.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I always dismissed diy trackers as useless.....no call centre so no police involvement.

I now have a TK102 hardwired.
Even if the police wont become involved it takes seconds to get a live location and with the 102 it can be tracked live....well every minute or so.
Wont be much use if the van is on a Itinerant encampment though....would you venture on and demand it back ?
If the worst happens..
Do a 999 call and tell plod your brother has lost the plot and has gone to the van location with a shot gun
You would be amazed at the response times !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the worst happens..
Do a 999 call and tell plod your brother has lost the plot and has gone to the van location with a shot gun
You would be amazed at the response times !!
Waste of time round here John.

By the time local plod have run round like headless chickens, contacted the nearest firearms division at leeds and spent an hour getting here the van would be in another county.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bloody hell..
We have a fire arms unit about 12 miles from us down a 100mph+ wide open dual'ed road.. They usually arrive inside 10 minutes !

Shaggy

Free Member
Aug 8, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 700 LEG
Exp
I'm a newbie!
iPhone MoHo Tracker Solution
I have tested this DIY solution for a few days now in various locations and it is very accurate, consistent and reliable. Another thing that I really like is the ability to geofence the MoHo with alerts if it moves. GPS signal is also very strong despite the phone being hidden. However, it does require a small data package (I have a £3/month plan with a free O2 Sim) so that it can use 3/4g Cellular Data, GPS & WiFi for its location accuracy. It does not have a fuel stop system, which is something I think would be an advantage, but with it's tri signal technology it should be harder to defeat and less prone to blackspots? As pointed out by a Funster on the link thread, it is a great recycling idea!
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/vehicle-tracker-using-old-iphone.119616/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back