Self isolating? (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I love riding my motorcycles all the year round. Given the current situation (coronavirus) should I stop going for rides?on my own? or small groups of 2 or 3 mates?

I went out today 80 miles on my 160 honda. Didn't stop anywhere. Perfect bliss.
Just restored it.

Picture taken on Friday. Above llangollen looking towards Liverpool.
20200320_151420.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That was my dream bike about 1966. It had everything a 16year old would dream about. Twin cylinder, twin carbs, twin leading brake, electric start -- awesome. Apprentice electricians could only afford a ratty old Honda 50.

airhoguk

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
3 years
We were out today packing up our van and noticed lots of bikes out. I ride myself but thought if one crashes then thats a burden on the NHS thats not needed at this time. Bikers are usually very sensible when it comes to making the right choice, unfortunately today was also the first sunny day of the year that wasn't a working day for most

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I don't live that far from you and enjoy a couple of hours out on the bike especially as the weather is so kind at the moment.
Love the cb160 I used to have the cb72e many years ago whilst I was at college, great sounding twin cyl 4 stroke.
Currently have a couple 0f W650/800 Kawasaki's and a recently restored Cb550/4
Honda CB550 1.jpg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had a CB160 just like that, ah what a fine machine it was. Yours looks immaculate, thank you for sharing the picture.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nice looking bikes, all of them.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We have been isolating for two weeks ,for those who don't know us we have a daughter with disabilities . We made this choice to protect our family so we can take care of our daughter for as long as we can while we can .we live in a very quiet lane in a small rural village in Shropshire . Those who know Bill my hubby will tell you he will.help anyone out if he can it's in his nature. A few days ago he went out to put something in the bin which is near the road . There was three bikers bending over a bike trying to resolve an issue with it . Seeing Bill they asked if he had a screwdriver they could borrow I had also at that time gone out towards were Bill was as I needed something out of the motorhome .I heard voices and Somone caughing I couldn't see Bill at that time as he was in the motorhome gettin the screwdriver which I was unaware he was sorting for them . I panicked at that point as they were very close to us and caughing . I immediately stated to them . We are in isolation and the reason why ,I then asked them to keep there distance . Bill then goes to hand them a toolbox I screamed at Bill NO he was doing it without thinking as it just comes naturally . I think me shouting NO bought them all to their senses they stood back one whipped out a pkt ofantieptic wipes (pity they hadn't thought bout bringing a screw driver ) the others started working on the bike . Bill then followed me into the motorhome as we could still hear one of them coughing at which point I gave Bill a rollicking. I had read Hildweilers thread bikers 1 virus 0 and knew large groups of bikers had congregated a few days before Bill was unaware . As much as you love yourbiking and freedom and wind inyourface been on here a number of years and met many bikers and read their threads PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU DECIDE to get on YOUR BIKES DONT PUT OTHETS AT RISK wether it be you might have accident ,breakdown, or stupid actions like meeting others . I'm just praying his coughing hasn't passed anything onto us as we have no one to look after Amanda . Please act responsible for youRSELVES and others .
Kind regards Kate X

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Agree. I think bikers are BRILLIANT people and do wonderful work supporting others..... BUT they are still meeting up en masse as per norm. Normally I love seeing these large, interesting people and bikes, but social distancing MUST apply to them too.

As for the guy coughing, let's hope he was turning his head away at least. We can't have a world without Bill.

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for the comments. With regard to to putting the medical profession under pressure, yes perhaps you are correct.
I would like to think people are being more aware, you've given me food for thought.
Stay safe everyone.

Rob, that's a nice looking bike. The first proper bike I had was a 500 four. It had the original exhausts but with many patches welded on.
Yes we do live close. I'll keep an eye out for you when things are better. I'll keep in touch.
Frank.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
One of the reasons recreational cycling is now banned in France is because it presents a needless risk of an unnecessary accident, requiring medical services that are stretched to breaking point, dealing with the outbreak. They don't need additional casualties as a result of leisure activities.

I appreciate your frustration but it's just going to have to be damned hard for everyone, for the foreseeable future...

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Thanks for the comments. With regard to to putting the medical profession under pressure, yes perhaps you are correct.

We heard sirens yesterday and then started to see a fair amount of traffic that looked to be diverted past us. I found out later that there had been a collision between a motorbike and car. The result was seeing three ambulances, two police cars and two recovery vehicles tied up for about three hours.
I don't know the outcome, but seeing the vehicles on the recovery vehicles, it didn't look good :(

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We heard sirens yesterday and then started to see a fair amount of traffic that looked to be diverted past us. I found out later that there had been a collision between a motorbike and car. The result was seeing three ambulances, two police cars and two recovery vehicles tied up for about three hours.
I don't know the outcome, but seeing the vehicles on the recovery vehicles, it didn't look good :(
? How awful for everyone involved
?PLEASE don't go out on your bikes ,Funsters we don't want anything happening to you and those it may effec emergency services are greatly over stretched . My niece a paramedic had been working so hard her holidays have been cancelled by NHS , she will work all the hours they will let her do as she is so dedicated to her job and her country as is her father who is in the police force . Glad we are giving folk something to think about . TAKE CARE EVERYONE do your bit by looking after yourself and others around you stay SAFE ❤❤❤

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Well I really have spent the day self isolating. Mowing the lawn and generally tidying up.
And look what I found under a dust sheet at the back of the shed. Started 4th kick.
Now I can do my bit for the environment aswell ??

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
A friend made a good point, he said that while we all want to ride our bikes, are you prepared for your next ride to be your last... ??

Now we always know it could be, but are you prepared for it to be something you caught off a petrol pump?

Wise words.. you cant remove risk, but you can lessen it.. its a lovely bike, but its not the time to be enjoying it. I have a new (to me bike ) that hasn't left the living room since before Xmas.. its time will come.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would say I can see the OP was on the 21st March if it was this weekend you would have been stopped by the police here in North Wales and on the Route to Llangollen the police are pulling people over, I love travelling in our local area Llangollen is only 20 miles from our house and 3 road blocks that I know of. so it could be a while before any of us are going there for pleasure

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Same here, spent 2 years worth of my state pension on a brand new Suzuki GSX-R 1000R and it's just sitting in the garage with the other 3 (well other 2 actually, my classic race honda is in the dining room!)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
In reality, the current isolation is not as bad as we think motorbiking wise, let me explain:

As bikers, we spend more time tinkering than riding - we can still do that

As bikers, we spend more time talking about bikes than riding - we can still do that (remember a true biker is a man who talks about women when he's with other bikers and motorcycles when he's with a woman)

As bikers, we spend more time on forums/Facebook discussing bikes than riding - we can still do that

The current beautiful weather (here in South wales) means frosty nights and the steep hill close to my home gets gritted every night, motorcycles & salt do not mix, so I wouldn't be riding anyway

OK OK I'm just trying to make myself feel better and failing miserably ?

So here's a picture of my old mum on her 90th birthday testing my race honda - plenty of years left in us to go blasting
IMG_20200105_152846.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
In reality, the current isolation is not as bad as we think motorbiking wise, let me explain:

As bikers, we spend more time tinkering than riding - we can still do that

As bikers, we spend more time talking about bikes than riding - we can still do that (remember a true biker is a man who talks about women when he's with other bikers and motorcycles when he's with a woman)

As bikers, we spend more time on forums/Facebook discussing bikes than riding - we can still do that

The current beautiful weather (here in South wales) means frosty nights and the steep hill close to my home gets gritted every night, motorcycles & salt do not mix, so I wouldn't be riding anyway

OK OK I'm just trying to make myself feel better and failing miserably ?

So here's a picture of my old mum on her 90th birthday testing my race honda - plenty of years left in us to go blasting
View attachment 372776

Oh, I so wanna have a coffee and cake with your mum. X

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if one crashes then that's a burden on the NHS that's not needed at this time.

"If" is a much bigger word that it looks.

I have been doing the shopping on my bike for obvious reasons. Technically I don't have a car, that went I retired long ago ( wife has a car ).

So am I being reckless ? 20 miles or so on near deserted roads, the risk of a crash is very low. The benefits incredibly high. Cars have crashes too.

OP
OP
franknjan
Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
It's OK to go for a bicycle ride?? Not really.

They are just as much at risk as motorcycle riders and can put the emergency services under pressure also. Speaking from experience. This happened on Friday.
20200327_125804.jpg

My wife had been to the supermarket 1st time in over a week. Yes, it was her fault. She didn't see the 54 year old cyclist. Fortunately, he only had slight injuries but 4 police vehicles attended. There was no ambulance available, so the police took the cyclist to hospital. ?
He's ok.
As the incident happened 20 metres from our home (10 miles from his) I took his bike home to keep it safe. He came for it Saturday morning.
As earlier posts state. We all should think about what we do. ?
Stay safe everyone. ??

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Oh, I so wanna have a coffee and cake with your mum. X

As you've already ascertained from the picture she is one hell of a lady, with lots of stories to tell (lived in London during the war)

She lives in Christchurch now, South coast of England, if you're down that way you'd be most welcome for coffee & cake - but she would try to marry me off to you!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As you've already ascertained from the picture she is one hell of a lady, with lots of stories to tell (lived in London during the war)

She lives in Christchurch now, South coast of England, if you're down that way you'd be most welcome for coffee & cake - but she would try to marry me off to you!

She wants you to be a toyboy!!!!! :)

I wish.

She sounds lovely and I would definitely let her know if I were down there. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back