Self-isolating, dual and solo. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Since the Covid-19 recommendations for self-isolating for the more vulnerable have been around, I as the oldie(78) in the duo with some health concerns have hardly been out of the house and grounds, except for Dr.'s visits, one haircut and one quick visit to a government office. We are also careful not to associate much with the rest of our family downstairs since the grandchildren have been going to camps and the father has been mixing with work colleagues. These precautions are mainly to prevent secondary contacts to protect great grandmother (99) who visits about fortnightly, but we want her to come to relieve her from isolation in a first floor north-facing flat.

Basia, who is nearly 20 years my junior, is not in the vulnerable category and she goes out to do the shopping and to walk her mother, taking the recommended precautions.

So far life has not been too difficult as we have each other and a large first-floor apartment and a wide terrace overlooking a v. large garden full of trees which screen all houses, so we do not feel claustrophobic and we have our computer links, including Skype and What'sApp video calls to relatives in Turkey and Aus, and friends in UK.

The above has been the dual experience. All changed this week when Basia flew off to Turkey to visit her Sister, so I have been in isolation Solo. It is a very different experience. Obviously firstly because we do not have our usual conversations together, except a few minutes on Skype each evening. But the main difference is that except for the radio I do not hear another human voice most days. Also I cannot get out to do any alternative activities other than walking solo.

It has been an eye-opener even for me as somebody who lived alone for most of my life until we got together 10 years ago. The difference is the combination of being alone in the house and to a large extent being excluded from society.

I now understand at first hand what it must have been like for those who are solo and vulnerable. Also they have endured it for much longer than my week, which is a drop in.... My heart goes out to them, and I hope those of you who know such people are giving them what relief you can in their plight, as we are trying to do for Basia's mum - she even gets a couple of phone calls a day from Basia in Turkey just as when she is here. Thank goodness for these cheap internet calls and for the internet in general. This Covid would have had a much more drastic effect one solo people without it.

Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Do you think being in a foreign country adds to the effect? I suspect it would make me feel more alone. I guess it depends whether you still feel the UK is "home".

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Since the Covid-19 recommendations for self-isolating for the more vulnerable have been around, I as the oldie(78) in the duo with some health concerns have hardly been out of the house and grounds, except for Dr.'s visits, one haircut and one quick visit to a government office. We are also careful not to associate much with the rest of our family downstairs since the grandchildren have been going to camps and the father has been mixing with work colleagues. These precautions are mainly to prevent secondary contacts to protect great grandmother (99) who visits about fortnightly, but we want her to come to relieve her from isolation in a first floor north-facing flat.

Basia, who is nearly 20 years my junior, is not in the vulnerable category and she goes out to do the shopping and to walk her mother, taking the recommended precautions.

So far life has not been too difficult as we have each other and a large first-floor apartment and a wide terrace overlooking a v. large garden full of trees which screen all houses, so we do not feel claustrophobic and we have our computer links, including Skype and What'sApp video calls to relatives in Turkey and Aus, and friends in UK.

The above has been the dual experience. All changed this week when Basia flew off to Turkey to visit her Sister, so I have been in isolation Solo. It is a very different experience. Obviously firstly because we do not have our usual conversations together, except a few minutes on Skype each evening. But the main difference is that except for the radio I do not hear another human voice most days. Also I cannot get out to do any alternative activities other than walking solo.

It has been an eye-opener even for me as somebody who lived alone for most of my life until we got together 10 years ago. The difference is the combination of being alone in the house and to a large extent being excluded from society.

I now understand at first hand what it must have been like for those who are solo and vulnerable. Also they have endured it for much longer than my week, which is a drop in.... My heart goes out to them, and I hope those of you who know such people are giving them what relief you can in their plight, as we are trying to do for Basia's mum - she even gets a couple of phone calls a day from Basia in Turkey just as when she is here. Thank goodness for these cheap internet calls and for the internet in general. This Covid would have had a much more drastic effect one solo people without it.

Geoff

Thank you. It IS difficult and most people dont understand, no matter how much you try to explain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Do you think being in a foreign country adds to the effect? I suspect it would make me feel more alone. I guess it depends whether you still feel the UK is "home".

Don't think so DBK.

In fact being isolated means I do not really know which country I am in.

I do not feel UK is 'home'. I have not had any family for the last 25-30 years, not even close then, and although I still have a house there in Barnes even the area is not familiar as all my friends have died or moved away and I know the best shops, butcher, greengrocer etc. have gone and the pubs have changed.

If we were free we probably would not stay here. We have not discussed it much, because it would depend on Basia's Mother not being around, but we both like France and Portugal might be another possibility. Andorra is not out of the frame as a base, but probably with another lower down.

Geoff

Reactions: DBK
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Your post is a timely reminder of how lucky we are. We went into lockdown a week before it was official,and have been very careful. However we have been seeing grandchildren over the last few weeks. Just recently I’ve been been moaning about the boredom of it all,masks,distancing,etc., .......... but our situation is very much better than it is for a lot of folk.

So thank you for reminding me that we are actually doing pretty well!

In your situation my best offer is to suggest more time out walking,I find even a brief chat with a stranger about the weather brightens my day!

Good luck with it. :giggle: (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am old and infirm and I live very much alone (most of the time) and I am not in the least bit worried about catching the "virus" as I consider the chances of that happening are very, very, very, very, very low.

I do, however, wear a mask in the shops etc simply because I know there are those folk (as seen in this very thread) who worry themselves stupid about their risk of catching it... hence I believe it might reduce their panic levels if I wear a "mask".

JJ :cool:

PS. Visitors to QMJ can do as they wish... but I won't be wearing a mask.

PPS. I consider QMJ to be a totally relaxed, stress free area and anyone who gets concerned 'cos I am not wearing a mask might not blend in with this natural, calm paradise!

PPPS. Obviously we practise Social Distancing here because showering is not a thing I do every day... :rofl:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back