Self build for 6, need a little guidance! (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are some very interesting ideas there terry! Apologies for the late reply my email is receiving no notifications what so ever I only came on to write a reply and ask a question and noticed there were several more comments!

I’ve seen a Mercedes 814 bus for sale, apparently it comes in at 7.5t. The seller told me if you convert it to a camper/motor home it’s class can be changed to a “class 4” and it can be driven on a standard car licence?

I can’t find any info to substantiate this, the only reference I can find is to do with grandfather rights driving up to 7.5t.

Also regarding the caravan, it really isn’t an option for me at this moment in time. I’d like to not have to rely on camp sites etc, understandably whatever we end up with won’t be at all “stealthy” but I want something a little more portable and I just feel a caravan limits your options!

Class 1 and a heavier vehicle may end up being the only Option!
If it is not more than 7.5 ton then it can be driven on a grandfather rights licence . The conversion to camper (motorcaravan) makes no difference from a driving licence pov . The class 4 has no relevance to the licence it is purely for the type of MOT , and applies to any motorcaravan even over 7.5 tonne my 12 tonne RV was a class 4 mot .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I’ve seen a Mercedes 814 bus for sale, apparently it comes in at 7.5t. The seller told me if you convert it to a camper/motor home it’s class can be changed to a “class 4” and it can be driven on a standard car licence?

I can’t find any info to substantiate this, the only reference I can find is to do with grandfather rights driving up to 7.5t.
He'll be on about changing it from a bus for which you need a passenger carrying class (can't remember what it's actually called) on your licence which most people won't have, thus changing it from being classified as a bus to a motorhome will mean someone with a 'grandad rights' licence (ie pre-1997) can drive it if it remains below 7.5t. Also the vast majority of the travel seats will be have to be removed so that only those left in/replaced with new ones are for use as a MH (not sure how many you can legally leave in). Anyone with a standard 1997 onwards car licence still won't be able to drive it even when changed to a MH as it will be over 3.5t.

Also regarding the caravan, it really isn’t an option for me at this moment in time. I’d like to not have to rely on camp sites etc, understandably whatever we end up with won’t be at all “stealthy” but I want something a little more portable and I just feel a caravan limits your options!
Catch 22 ... if you go for a caravan you'll need to use sites, if you go for a MH you will probably still need to use sites as you'll need the facilities because you won't have them on board a self-build if you don't include them ... an alternative would be to use the smaller 'Certified Sites' and Certified Locations' which the 2 major clubs have, these have less facilities but may be sufficient for your needs but you'd still need your own loo for most of them, these types of places are also a lot cheaper than fully fledged campsites.

Class 1 and a heavier vehicle may end up being the only Option!
... sounds like that may be the case if you really want a MH that will meet your needs and be able to carry you all legally.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Adam the Merc will always be 7.5 ton but will become class 4 for MOT instead of class 7
To be clear on layouts the one earlier will work on the longer Iveco,crafter,sprinter vans. If you put same layout into a Fiat,pug,or Citreon you would need to use transverse bed across the van.Still same layout but you only have 12 ft in the back so still forward and rear seats/ dining table approx 4ft6ins then a 4ft rear bed/ seats Leaving 3 ft 6 ins in middle for loo/shower and opposite the kitchen .
With 4 small kids they will all sleep in one bed plus bed across front seats so you may not need the pole bed just yet (y):)
Just to make it clear the seats behind from seats would need to slide/ extend to make bed up once side door is closed/ I would suggest using twin seats from a VW with belts fitted.These would leave plenty of room to get in/out of side door

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back