Seized vehicles and Insurance (1 Viewer)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Just noticed a change to one of our policies where the policy holder is allowed to drive another vehicle.

There are the restrictions that have been there ever since I have had insurance - motor trade etc., but now there is a new one.

I am not insured for use where I may attempt to recover from storage (secure the release of) a vehicle that has been seized by, or on behalf of, any government or public authority.

It may be worth checking the small print in those amendment sheets that appear.

Note this is driving away the vehicle concerned, I could still go with a trailer to collect it.

As lots of vehicles are being seized for no insurance, it's not beyond probability a friend/relative could ask you to collect a vehicle for them.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Interesting.........

I suppose the reason is that the vehicle itself was uninsured as the reason for seizure and therefore they want to make sure that the actual vehicle is insured before releasing it. Therefore I don't think that they would permit the removal on a trailer without an insurance document pertaining to the vehicle in question

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
They will allow removal on a trailer.. No problem at all. Insurance not required if you do that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Really?

A colleague of mine was told emphatically not when his mate turned up to do just that. It was a couple of years ago, though

The "really" was an expression of surprise - not doubting your word. Things must have changed

Edit - what is the point of taking them off the road for being uninsured if someone can just go down with a trailer and take it back without actually insuring the vehicle? beats me.......

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Its taken off the road and the driver will have been fobbed £200 and recieved 6 points... Or a court summons.. Then there is the recovery charge... Storage...
A car doesn't need to be insured if it's on a trailer.. (the dvla sorn thing is another matter though)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ok thanks for the clarification.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
As someone who processes releases for seized vehicles - may I explain the process?

When the vehicle is seized for either no insurance or a driving licence offence the recovery garage will only release once a "release form" has been completed at a designated Police Station.

In our force the registered keeper must attend with his/her driving licence (both parts in the case of a photocard), the V5 (in his/her name) and a current insurance certificate.

Once that has been examined a phone call is made to the dedicated police line at the Motor Insurers Bureau who will then contact the relelvant insurance company. They will confirm (or not as the case may be) that the policy holder has declared the seizure and a pending conviction for either the insurance offence or the driving licence offence, and will then confirm the vehicle can be released.

Only then will the release form be stamped and signed.

It is a fact that the number of vehicles seized is reducing as motorists become aware of the likelihood of detection (due to ANPR cameras in Police Vehicles) and the robustness of the release process.

As someone who pays for insurance I do not have a problem with this.

Steve

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Even Motor Trade insurance policies that cover any an all ocasions, now also carry the not to be used for vehicle release purposes endorsed on the policy
G

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
So, my question is actually answered - effectively you cannot release the vehicle without the insurance referring to that vehicle specifically. Correct? Cheers......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back