Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
One of the hinges on our underbody locker was completely seized when I went to get the van ready for its first outing of the year. When I opened the locker it was very stiff and then I noticed that it was the screws holding the hinge on that were bending. The hinge was not moving at all. Tried WD40 and boiling water then but it still won't move at all. Got the screws off the door side but one of the screws holding it to the body was completely stripped... clearly not the first time this has happened. I tried to drill it out but couldn't make an impression on it (being a mere female and trying to use the drill from underneath in a confined space.) I've sourced another hinge but frustrated that I can't get the old one off.
I'm thinking my only choice is to take it in to the repair shop but does anyone have any bright ideas before I do? At the moment I have tied it to down so it doesn't flap when we drive it.
Thanks
Mags

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you mean the cross in the screw head has rounded off, Aldi are currently selling a set of four stripped screw removers.

they fit in a drill and work in reverse, biting into the screw head as they turn.

drilling it out will result in a hole too large for a replacement screw.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
if you mean the cross in the screw head has rounded off, Aldi are currently selling a set of four stripped screw removers.

they fit in a drill and work in reverse, biting into the screw head as they turn.

drilling it out will result in a hole too large for a replacement screw.

^^^what he said! If you cannot find their, then most JML stockists will do a version.

One thing it would pay to do, is pick up some silicone grease and smear some on the hinges before putting back on. That is on the metal shaft (they pull apart)

A little non-drying bedding sealer dropped into the screw hole before you screw in, will ensure a watertight seal and prevent any possible ingress to the wooden frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Oh dear. I fear it may be too late for the screw removers. I went to B&Q yesterday to try to get some and the chap there said you can't get them anwyahere and my only option was to drill it out. I started the drilling process - couldn't get beyond the head but totalled bxxxxered the head up in the process. I'll trot down to Aldi's this morning though and see if they have any in stock and see if anything can be done.
Thanks for the tips.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mags just so you know what you are looking for
Link Removed
terry

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Mags, seems to be a common problem Sue had the same thing with her van. :Doh:

Link Removed

She will be on later when she gets up! :hardhat::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And tell you all about it. ::bigsmile: Bob.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Siezed hinge

Hi Mags, seems to be a common problem Sue had the same thing with her van. :Doh:

Link Removed

She will be on later when she gets up! :hardhat::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: And tell you all about it. ::bigsmile: Bob.

I'm up ha ha
Was my birthday and had lots to drink last night:RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Have had this problem on all my hinges and really dont know why it happens. Seems to be a Geist thing.:cry:

Even occured down in sunny spain!

Engineer mate of mine took then all off and noticed one on the doors with three hinges and one hinge the wrong way round, which he said was causing stress on the others. Phones Geist uk
and they sent me new hinges, but there are left and right hinges. They have been partially replaced, and he put vaseline on them, so we shall see what happens.

But I really do not know why it happens:Angry: and I dont know if it will happen with the new ones

S

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Silicon Spray works for Me...

Gets to places normal grease doesn't.....

BTW Hope you had a great Birthday Sue.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would attack the offending screw head with a tiny dremel type grinder removing the head completely allowing the hinge to be removed.:thumb: this should then leave a stub of the screw (at least the thinkness of the hinge) sticking out, Use mole grips to remove the remainder
Invoice in the post:Smile:
Geo

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Guys
Got the screw removers but not had chance to try them yet. If that fails I'll go with the taking the head off the screw advice.
My replacement hinge is a different make but same size. I'm hoping it'll fit.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for all the help.
Mags

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I got that tip from watching Roman films::bigsmile:
Off with there heads they would shout:Doh:
I agree:thumb:

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
..pesky seized hinges

Yes, weve had 3 in the space of 4 yrs...on Our Transit Kentucky ..and ALL were on the 'BUNKER' [large O/S locker to gain under-bed space]

Squirted freqently and the 'Plastic end caps' removed so as to squirt with several different types of WD40 etc.--To no avail. !!:Angry:

I have now drilled out the 'BRASS' pins that hold these Cast ALU' hinges together.The Brass & Alu was as if they had been 'welded'....

This was the last resort., but now solved with new S/steel spindles [no brass in the shed !]
but made them a little smaller so that future 'squirts' will get in ...well packed with vaseline

The lower hinges below Floor level & in all the rain spray all seem OK. ???:whatthe:

I am most grateful for this small mercy:roflmto: :roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
most seized things can be freed by using vinegar, make a Plasticine mould around the affected area, fill with vinegar and leave 24 hours
be sure to clean up afterward because it is a mild acid. I have free winches and even seized brake cyls in the past.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Yes, weve had 3 in the space of 4 yrs...on Our Transit Kentucky ..and ALL were on the 'BUNKER' [large O/S locker to gain under-bed space]

Squirted freqently and the 'Plastic end caps' removed so as to squirt with several different types of WD40 etc.--To no avail. !!:Angry:

I have now drilled out the 'BRASS' pins that hold these Cast ALU' hinges together.The Brass & Alu was as if they had been 'welded'....

This was the last resort., but now solved with new S/steel spindles [no brass in the shed !]
but made them a little smaller so that future 'squirts' will get in ...well packed with vaseline

The lower hinges below Floor level & in all the rain spray all seem OK. ???:whatthe:

I am most grateful for this small mercy:roflmto: :roflmto:

DONT use oil - use silicone spray or grease (if hinges are apart) Oil based (wd40/vaseline) will react with the plastic housing making it soft, causing it to seize. It will also attract grit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back