Seitz sliding window - fitted upside down? (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Autotrail Dakota '05....it's laid up for winter and I had a nosey inside to make sure all was well especially given the continual rain we've had for the last few days
Noticed a small puddle of water at the bottom of the window, no condensation on window is it's not that and couldn't see any wetness at the top of the frame - so it didn't appear to dripping down from above.

I'm 100% confident it's not water finding its way from outer frame into the van, the window was taken out recently because I found several quite high damp readings around the inner frame, it has been sealed properly.

Had a look at Leisure Spares site and they have tech information on Seitz sliding windows (I'd post a link but iPad isn't letting me do it!) It shows a "water run off slot" and it's at the bottom of the window. The slot on both my Seitz sliding windows is at the top. This slot appears to be covered by a 2" long black plastic bung, if it wasn't still peeing down I 'd have a better dig around.

Having another closer look I can see a a very slow water trail coming down the inside of the window on the vertical finishing strip in the middle.

First thoughts are that the window is fitted upside down, in fact both windows are. However, if the window is removed and fitted what I think is in the right orientation I'll be looking at water being driven into the overlap of the two half's of the glazing panels when driving...difficult to explain, but I guess that's the reason Seitz offer a left and right hand opening window?

Can anyone shed some light on my problem, assuming you get the gist of what I'm on about!

The run off slot is fitted in the aluminium channel above (but should be below?) the glazing panels

Thanks, David

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Both our sliding windows have this at the bottom

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
They appear to be upside down but I don't believe that it makes any difference. I installed one of mine upside down as I wanted the sliding part to be at the front. You will often also see them installed vertically on a Rapido.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We had the same on our Savannah ,took the black plastic bung out and turned it over.
Idleness or ignorance at Autotrail,!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is the locking button on the top or bottom of the window handle?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If its anything like a sliding sash window on a house

The outer slider should be at the top, otherwise water will sit on the join of the two sliders.
Then when you open water runs into the room

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Both our sliding windows have this at the bottom
Seem's yours are in the right place - mine are not!

They appear to be upside down but I don't believe that it makes any difference. I installed one of mine upside down as I wanted the sliding part to be at the front. You will often also see them installed vertically on a Rapido.
Mike
Having done a little digging around the bazaars, some appear to have the run off's top and bottom, but most are on the bottom.

In your case, wanting the sliding part at the front, is that not why Seitz offer left and right hand versions?

We had the same on our Savannah ,took the black plastic bung out and turned it over.
Idleness or ignorance at Autotrail,!

Just pop out the bung and fit the other way round and it'll stop this small leakage? I do hope so...it seems this may have been the problem when I mis-diagnosed seal failure between frame and MoHo body. Pulled and resealed every window thinking if one was failing the others wouldn't be far behind!

Is the locking button on the top or bottom of the window handle?

If you're referring to the locking handles/slider grips they're fitted slightly above midway 'tween top and bottom?

If its anything like a sliding sash window on a house

The outer slider should be at the top, otherwise water will sit on the join of the two sliders.
Then when you open water runs into the room

Understand what you're saying- my windows slide side to side, not up and down!

Thinking some more, the run off slot surely should be at the bottom to drain any water sitting in the runners?
I'll certainly try reversing the plug but I 'm at a loss, just now, to understand what purpose it serves sitting at the top!
If it doesn't work I'll try a bead of sealer between the aluminium channel and outer frame.

Appreciate your replies - your all a helpful bunch, thanks:)

David

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
If you look at them they are shaped too let the water out when fitted the correct way round but if upside down they let the water in and ours were right under the end of the awning housing which funnelled the water in a steady steam!

Richard

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The slots are in the frame to drain rain water that sits in the bottom of the frame otherwise it can find its way inside, the same as your DG at home holes drilled into the frame under the glazing and then drains between the frame and the cill. As you have worked out yourself they need to be I the bottom of the frame.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
That's both the sliding window drains flipped over...see how they're supposed to work if fitted in the bottom of the window. As they were fitted, more rain catcher than rain drain.

Stopped raining now, guess I'll have to wait 'till it starts again to see if I've improved matters.

Appreciate all your comments:)

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back