Seen a mature processionary Caterpillar at Calpe (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Just a heads up to anyone in the area, we've seen (and despatched) a mature processionary Caterpillar near Las Salinas area near Aldi. We've reported it to reception on site, who say they reported sightings to the council 10 days ago and they are coming on Saturday 2nd February to deal with the nests.

Not wishing to alarm anyone, but forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers

estresao

Free Member
Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
Just whatch, any pine forest in Spain could have processionary. Be more cautelous if you are traveling with dogs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
While it's wise to check the ground ( as much as you can) where you exercise your dog, always look up, especially in evergreen / fir tree forests. Nests look like spun cotton balls or cone shapes.
Never try to hit them or knock them out of a tree, you'll be covered in the horrible things.
Saw quite a few nests in different parts of France but thankfully never saw any in my garden
processionary-nest.jpg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Saw some in the trees today at Montserrat but never noticed on the ground

I hope not as jade was exploring

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
They've been coming to ground since December. Not normal, but the wet then warm weather seems to have activated them. Just be aware and don't let your dog sniff them. Don't touch them, or their nests, and you'll be OK.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Making their way to you on a camp site in Southern Spain. (Seen this morning...I pointed them towards Benidorm)

IMG_6059.JPG

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,they’ve been seen by a neighbour near here,Lagos,Portugal.

Worst still (for me),I found a tick trying to eat it’s way into my tummy a couple of days ago. I managed to remove it with tweezers and doused the spot with brandy..........so now my guts have brandy on the the inside and the outside.

I think it got on to me when I stopped for a pee on the roadside adjacent to a forest.........just as well it didn’t fancy another part of my anatomy. Maybe couldn’t find it,hahahahaha.

Anyway,lots of ticks about as well as naughty caterpillars,so beware.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Sort of along the topic.

Have only ever had one tick attached in my life, unfortunately it was on my left nut.:eek:

Decided to remove it myself as my Mrs couldn't see properly through the tears of laughter.
Thought it much safer.(y)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I had one very close to my lady garden - think it crawled up the leg of my shorts when resting during a yomp. Husband had to remove it - he's a bit cack handed - think I've got Lyme disease now. :LOL:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I had one very close to my lady garden - think it crawled up the leg of my shorts when resting during a yomp. Husband had to remove it - he's a bit cack handed - think I've got Lyme disease now. :LOL:

Oh! Ann. I've just discovered that I've got a vivid imagination!!!

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Last year we pulled up in Spain to give Charlie a pit stop in the middle of nowhere
no trees for miles.
I spotted a few 4" balls of caterpillars in the short grass thankfully I scooped Charlie up before we got too close.

Never went back to investigate it they seemed smaller than the Processionary caterpillars I'd seen before but did look similar.
Anyone advise me are there similar looking caterpillars or do Processionary also survive on grasslands.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
…………………………..
Anyone advise me are there similar looking caterpillars or do Processionary also survive on grasslands.

Similar thing happened to us in France on the way back from Spain. Pulled up in a forest clearing for the night, had a REALLY good look round and looked clear. Let our cat out for a mooch and within a few minutes, suddenly found some. You've never seen a cat scooped up so quick in your life!
Panic? Over-reaction? Quite possibly, but would you want to take a chance with your best mates health/life?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We found some on a campsite in France last year Reported them to the site owner who came over in his wellies and stamped them to a pulp. I was expecting something more technical.

OP
OP
Oscar
Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
UPDATE - we've just moved to Benidorm- just back from a walk to El Raco to see if they had any room, and seen lots of processionaries on the pavement near there, we crossed over to the other side of the road where the shops are, and narrowly avoided walking on (with Oscar dog) a massive seething ball of them :mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back