Seems like the ideal van for us .... but ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
A bit more information .....
The van is in his wife's name, perhaps to make it look less like a trade deal?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
traders do that so there is no come back, adding credence to the private sale image. It is bought as seen no warranty from a private buyer. Whilst many of us do buy privately quite happy in the knowledge that whatever goes wrong can be fixed you are obviously very unsure about it. That nagging doubt will always be there so go to a reputable dealer for your own peace of mind. you know you want to. It is too much money to part with if you have continual nagging doubts.

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
traders do that so there is no come back, adding credence to the private sale image. It is bought as seen no warranty from a private buyer. Whilst many of us do buy privately quite happy in the knowledge that whatever goes wrong can be fixed you are obviously very unsure about it. That nagging doubt will always be there so go to a reputable dealer for your own peace of mind. you know you want to. It is too much money to part with if you have continual nagging doubts.

Not really concerned about condition of van (although from my own inspection it seems A1), as I will get a M.A.C.I.C. inspection.

My only concern is securely paying for the van and gaining ownership.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
Well, did you buy it:Smile:

Not yet, although it is on my shortlist of two, and in the lead by a short head.
The guy selling wants cash, which I always said I did not want to pay that way.

However, I really like the van, so.....

I have spoken to the previous owner, and assuming the HPI comes in clear tomorrow......
How many of you would be ok paying cash, and what precautions should I take to ensure that I get the van as he gets the cash?

Thanks again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Always used cash myself except for this last one we have got now (didn't fancy walking round with 18 grand in my pocket) so did bank transfer , cost £30 though but if its just you and him there , don't see no probs getting the van. If you think it would be a prob take someone with you.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Irish and insists on CASH only.................. dont walk, RUN!

It is against the Money Laundering Acts to pay cash over about £9k without declaring it.

Cash = Dodgy

Peter

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah, as I said always pay cash , like cash if I am selling something as well.
The van I had before this one ,I bought off eBay unseen from Bristol ,took the cash with my son in law (big lad) and came home with the van, no regrets ,it was brill went all round France and Spain in it last year but thought we would have a bit more comfort in our old age and put it back on eBay and sold it in ten minits for what I paid for it and the bloke brought cash with him again unseen.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have only ever paid cash for everything I have ever bought. Its the way my mother taught me. The only things I don't pay cash for is stuff from the internet that I have delivered. But then again am old school which does not necessarily mean its the best way to do business.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
So, has nobody paid cash for a motorhome then?
It this really so unusual ?

Cash in my book means £notes and as such we would not accept anything over £9k, too much hassle reporting it and the banks charge .56% commission to bank it, so every £10K would cost us inbank charges £56

Seller insisting on pound notes is dead dodgy in my book, cash is untraceable

Peter

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Irish and insists on CASH only.................. dont walk, RUN!

It is against the Money Laundering Acts to pay cash over about £9k without declaring it.

Cash = Dodgy

Peter

Cash in my book means £notes and as such we would not accept anything over £9k, too much hassle reporting it and the banks charge .56% commission to bank it, so every £10K would cost us inbank charges £56

Seller insisting on pound notes is dead dodgy in my book, cash is untraceable

Peter
YEAH RIGHT give me cash any day ::bigsmile::thumb:
Terry

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely Money Laundering Regs don't apply to personal transactions?
Can understand your reluctance perhaps as a commercial business...

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Oh they do! I deposited a large amount in the form of a cheque to my bank recently and they wanted to know it's origin, conformation from the issuer, what was it for, etc; And i have been with this bank for 50 years!

Craig

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You would have better with cash then:Smile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How many alarm bells do you want to ring?

Not wanting to put a damper on things, but you have been on here for some time wondering about the sale and if it is genuine or not. Once you have your head around each point you are suspicious of, another comes up.

The only thing that sounds genuine in this deal is you and your desire for the van - the rest is a little complicated really. Your instinct is shouting at you.

At the risk of sounding like my mother, 'There are plenty more fish in the sea!'

Please don't take offence, it is just my opinion - far too many alarm bells for me!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So what happened, does anyone know, why is there so many threads that don't have a final answer

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
So what happened, does anyone know, why is there so many threads that don't have a final answer

The van is still available and has been reduced by £2500.
It was obviously overpriced anyway, as there is another identical van (year & mileage) down south for a similar price as he was asking, and that has not sold either.
Seems to me that motorhomes generally are just not selling in the current financial climate.

I am still considering as I am not in a rush.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back