LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well done Mo, left untreated grass seeds can kill a dog. Sharp as a needle one end and the back end resists it going back out, so just continues to migrate in. Exacerbated by the dog frantically scratching

Not just ears, but eye sockets and paws are like magnets for the bloody seeds

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Has anybody had their dog to a vet to have a seed taken from their dogs ear hole..????????

Judy just phoned and they had to put Daisy to sleep/sedate to get one from her ear which had worked it`s way down to some canal... :(

How much have you paid.????

You tell me and in half an hour I will tell how much Judy got charged... :crying1:
Why didnt you water the seed and wait until it grew, you could then pull it out for free.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
................................................................ "Ouch"...:frowny:

Well thanks for all the comments....:hugs:

Seems only right I should name the vet, as it seems they are reasonable reading some of your stories..

Vet`s 4 Pet`s...(y)

They have looked after her from the day we got her...
We use vets4pets can't recommend them enough, and being all over the country they have your pet's medical record at the touch of a button no matter what branch of pets at home you are in. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
But she is worth it... :inlove:

Every brass farthing VeryOldFella. :restmycase:

I would pay a lot of money to bring Lady Faith back into our lives if only for one day. They eat your heart and soul. Every time we come around to getting another doggy, our good intentions just fall away with one look of the picture on the kitchen wall. Completely irreplaceable.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Them that`s dogs have had the same sort of treatment..!!!!!!

How long after were your dog`s off their food, lethargic and sleeping so much..??

Daisy is just flopping around and not interested in anything... even peed in her bed last night which she has never done anything like that in the house let alone her bed... :frowny:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Mo

You know my garden yes? A lot of seeds there , very sticky ones.

When I had my toy poodle Licorice , I used to ask to the lady in charge of his summer fur cut to remove all the fur from his ears. And after that, every day I was putting oil in them. Never had a prob, seeds could not grip (hang?) in his ears

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Wouldn’t it have been possible to just leave it to root? Once it takes hold and grows the plant will start coming out of the ear and you simply pull it out like a weed.;):giggle:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Slightly off topic as it is me.

I had a wisdom tooth removed and part of the root started growing out of the side of my gum. It was annoying.. Very.

The dentist said I may need local anaesthetic etc to sort the root out.

After a week I got it out myself by tugging with tweezers. It turns out it was a flax seed which had stuck in my gum and seemed quite happy there. :(
I did have quiet a battle with a lovely piece of Sirloin the other day after lunch! Took some minutes with a tooth pick so I understand your pain!

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016

How long after were your dog`s off their food, lethargic and sleeping so much..??

Daisy is just flopping around and not interested in anything... even peed in her bed last night which she has never done anything like that in the house let alone her bed... :frowny:

It was awhile ago now, I don't remember her being subdued much more than the following morning, she's a little deaf now or I would ask her.:ROFLMAO:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
When Monty had seed treatment for his nose he appeared drunk for the evening when we picked him up. Next day he was ok, but a bit lethargic, so lazy day then all ok the following day. No pee issues but he’s always been good that way. He’s still sneezing loads and loads and I’m sure still has the seed up his nose, but now I’m £800 worse off.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I'd defo ring the vet - have to say I don't know how well dogs recover from anaesthetics, and it's a more than reasonable thing to query!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Merlin was very groggy after his recent cancer op and despite being perfectly house trained had a couple of little accidents over the next 24 hours. It varies from dog to dog how they tolerate anaesthetic and of course their size. I would expect Daisy to be back to normal by 24-36 hours

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Update on her highness"....

She seems to be nearly back to normal... running around and back to her bouncy self.. (y) :Grin:

The vet said it is only natural for some dogs to go into a deep sleep after an anaesthetic and some do have a little accident while asleep...

Only did it the once... since she whines and paws at the back door to go out for a pee, like normal..:clap:

I mentioned she was still occasionally shaking her head and one ear.. (The one that had a seed in it I think.).. was still lower than the other one... she had both ears syringed and cleaned out while they were at it... anyway.... he said........... your ear would be a bit saggy and you would shake your head if you had what she had stuffed down your lug hole..

Give it a day or so to settle.... and if we are still worried to give him a bell...

Obviously a dedicated vet....:hugs:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
"Update on her highness"....

She seems to be nearly back to normal... running around and back to her bouncy self.. (y) :Grin:

The vet said it is only natural for some dogs to go into a deep sleep after an anaesthetic and some do have a little accident while asleep...

Only did it the once... since she whines and paws at the back door to go out for a pee, like normal..:clap:

I mentioned she was still occasionally shaking her head and one ear.. (The one that had a seed in it I think.).. was still lower than the other one... she had both ears syringed and cleaned out while they were at it... anyway.... he said........... your ear would be a bit saggy and you would shake your head if you had what she had stuffed down your lug hole..

Give it a day or so to settle.... and if we are still worried to give him a bell...

Obviously a dedicated vet....:hugs:
To you Mo it is an emergency and something you are not used to. Our vet friends see similar day in and day out, with grass seed season being so long. As for Daisy, she got stoned up to her eyeballs and it takes time and plenty of drinking to flush the drugs out

Imagine you had something sharp inside your lug hole and you rubbed it. The seed will have scratched the delicate skin inside the ear, may be drawing a little blood. Then somebody took a pair of foreceps, stretched your ear hole open and pulled out the seed backwards.

The inside of her ear is still sore and will be irritated for days after as scabs form, heal and drop off. An ear infection straight after this sort of trauma is absolutely normal and to be expected

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Mo, I don't know but could be that the infection is not gone yet and she has vertigo from it.

Vertigo is HORRIBLE when severe... her whole world will be spinning and she needs to lie still.

If she stood up to wee, she woulf feel like she is in a rolling barrel and would flop down in her bed again. Has she still got some antibiotics left?

Big hug Daisy. Xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back