May 3, 2014
ex/Rochdale now fulltiming
Funster No
MH
Hymer 614sl
Exp
Since 2000
Hi all

It’s my first post and after reading hours of interesting and informative threads I am ready for my first post.

I – like quite a few on Fun will be heading down to southern Spain this winter and I am wondering how you go on with security within your vans.

I would worry about the contents (passport, credit cards, cash, and other easily pinch able valuables) while you are away from your van. Do you use a safe, a hiding place or do you carry everything of value on your person while out for the day.

I ask because a few weeks ago I was talking to a fellow motorhome owner whose van was broken into while he was out and he said that his van was totally trashed – there was nowhere that he could have hid anything that wouldn’t have been found.

Now it’s bad enough if this happens in the UK but if it happens while you’re abroad it must be a nightmare.

Generally we just take bare essentials while travelling in the UK but if you’re spending a few months in Europe you need substantially more stuff.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have a belt pouch which carries passports, camera, keys, cards and cash. My OH usually carries a handbag. Nothing else valuable really goes with us.. we have a PVC so security is as good a works van potentially carrying thousands of pounds of stock. If it's good enough for them it's fine by me.

Of course if there are laptops etc with us then we hide them away somewhere but if we get broken into they will be pinched. That's what insurance is for.

I have toyed with putting a safe in but it feels like a lot of hassle for not much benefit IMHO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi @The Camper and welcome to Fun
We leave most stuff in the van but have a good alarm which will hopefully scare off most intruders. There are always the persistent b#+*tards that you will never stop. Just have to hope they don't pick your van.
As @mjltigger said, that's what insurance is for.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have a safe bolted to the floor underneath the bed which is hidden by a load of items stored under there, whilst i am sure if they had enough time they would find it it is only a deterrent. I also take photos of all our key documents just in case we do lose them so at least we can get them back although it will be a lot of hassle. There are plenty of posts on here around securing the van when either in it or not, most are common sense but there are some good ones. We have been to Spain the last 2 winters with no troubles, this year we will have a proper alarm with a gsm alerter as we plan to leave the van a lot more (with new scooter).

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I carry money , cards, passports and camera with me. In addition to a cat 1 alarm I also have deadlocks on habitation and drivers doors. Mind you it would make an awful mess of the doors with any attempted break in.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a small safe that I installed in a secret compartment bit of a b***er to get at but its out of the way and I also fitted Abus deadlocks to the doors I was a Crime reduction officer in my work and am a chippy so it was relatively easy for me to do if you fit things that are highly visible they act as a deterrent to the opportunist thieves who will probably move ont to something that takes less time to get into as the longer they are there the more chance of getting caught! Harrison locks are very expensive and they charge to fit them as well,I paid £70 for two Abus deadlocks so saved quite a bit but if you are not confident pay someone to do it.I have also made up a special lock for the side sliding window.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had a safe fitted under the built in bed, loads of stuff stored round it and on it. It was very awkward to open even with the code so I hoped it would delay any would be thief enough.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
So a new member is asking about security within your MH and 3 post here have already stated were their security is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE people keep how and were you store your private things to yourself. You wouldn't tell someone you just met at a camp site..... WHY tell someone here. No disrespect to the OP, but how I do it and were they are stored is my business
(y)
Anyone can read these posts

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The problem with carrying money and passports and so on is what about if we go to the beach and want to swim ? Or if the bag carried gets lost ?

there are waterproof options if you need a swim or you just have to stick to places where you can keep things safe. If you are concerned about your passports going missing then realistically about your person is the only safe place.. what if your vehicle was stolen or involved in an accident or a fire while you were away? A safe isn't the answer unless the only possible risk is a toerag who knows a good fence.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
those modern and cheap digital safes are as secure as a biscuit tin. can normally be opened without tools or damage

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Photocopy all your documents and passport, driving licence, EHIC card etc and leave a copy with someone at home then if you lose any of it you can get ref nos etc from someone. Someone once told me to put a dog bowl filled with water outside the door, simple idea suggesting there may be a dog inside (if you haven't got one).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
those modern and cheap digital safes are as secure as a biscuit tin. can normally be opened without tools or damage

Which you pointed out years ago so I stripped mine, worked out a solution using a blob of greace and that problem is solved.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We have a USB drive each "very small" password protected with everything document wise scanned for the MH. If the worst thing happened at least we have copies of everything on the drive. A simple back up system

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Avoid honey pot locations. Thieves rely on getting easy pickings they may stumble upon you in a remote location, but to me the risk is about the same as being swallowed by an earthquake or washed away by a Tsunami or winning the lottery. Thieves go to locations where they know there are lots of vulnerable people or vehicles.
Take precautions that the best you can do.
We don't leave the van unattended at supermarkets, one shops while the other stays in the van. We try to park where we can see the van, if we go to a beach or other visitor attraction. Just use common sense.

Deleted User
I have done the same as others and fitted a document safe under the rear lounge seats with things on top. I don't see it as a problem telling people as I only use it when away from home and not expecting a burglar to follow me on my holidays especially as they don't know my personal details. I agree it is not the strongest safe in the world but I did get a Vanbitz Growler fitted so by the time the scum have found the safe and ripped it out they will be bleeding from the ears.
I keep the passports and vehicle documents in the safe as well as a spare credit card. I have photo-copies of my passport and vehicle documents in with my vehicle user manual as a backup in the very unlikely case that the originals are stolen.
The Growler was expensive but for peace of mind when you are away from the van or when you are sleeping in somewhere a bit isolated, I think it is worth the money and it must add some value to the van.

I did once hide my wallet in the biscuit tin and then the next day cancelled my cards as I forgot I had hidden it and thought I had lost it. Morale of that story is you should have tea and biscuits more often and worry much less about getting your stuff stolen. It is very rare.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We have a safe hidden away, but we carry our Passports with us and we both carry a set of keys. Wallets and purse stay with us. I scan all our documents and email them to myself so I can access them from anywhere. I also keep all the contact details of insurance, breakdown etc with me. Not much use if it's in the van! We also have a Cobra Alarm fitted on all access pints to the van.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have sufficient security to put off the opportunist thief, but nothing is going to deter a professional. A well hidden safe is going to be fairly easy to open when the motor has been nicked and is in a chop shop!

My advice, do what you need to put your mind at rest, and then simply enjoy the whole motorhoming experience! :D

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I also have deadlocks on habitation and drivers doors. Mind you it would make an awful mess of the doors with any attempted break in.[/QUOTE said:
Same here - had them fitted when I bought the MoHo - pricey but pretty secure - apart from smashing a window and climbing in through it then it would take a while to get in the doors and be noisy and obvious!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
there are waterproof options if you need a swim or you just have to stick to places where you can keep things safe. If you are concerned about your passports going missing then realistically about your person is the only safe place.. what if your vehicle was stolen or involved in an accident or a fire while you were away? A safe isn't the answer unless the only possible risk is a toerag who knows a good fence.

yes have a waterproof swim safe its small, for cash and cards only. always have fitted a safe, as most theft smash and grab, a safe secured through floor top the chassis will not interest many..... window/door alarms (cheap as chips)

no cat 1 alarm anymore as I consider them pointless, as mainly annoying, who takes any notice anyway..the smash and grabs theives could not care less:)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Which you pointed out years ago so I stripped mine, worked out a solution using a blob of greace and that problem is solved.

Ditto. Oh, and a baffle plate.

Ditto. Oh, and a baffle plate.
still bothers me though that an average person buying such a safe would think its secure. we should not have to strip it down and adjust the mechanism or fit a stronger spring.

I know its too big for a motorhome, but I recently saw a strong magnet used to defeat an insurance approved safe. must get hold of one and try it on the smaller ones

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back