Security, what to get? (1 Viewer)

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
1995 VW T4 Compass Calypso, so hopefully old enough to not become a victim, will be kept on driveway, cul-de-sac with lots of neighborhood watchers.

Security advice please, already have mini shopping list, looking for thoughts.

Wheel clamp (rear)
Corner steady lock nuts
Autolok gearstick
Disclock
Pedal lock (either clutch claw or pedal box)

Number plate on roof in 2 ft letters

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
One of these ;), it works for me:

20190102_123310.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having had a Motorhome stolen, my first tip is to have a special place at home to keep the van keys.
My home was broken into, the house searched and keys found, which they used to drive the van away.
Afterwards we bought for our next van, every gadget going. We use none of them now. A hole drilled through the seat baseplate when the seat is facing backwards (Captains chair), has a good clutch lock fitted through it. I don't think it would be easy to drive the van facing the wrong way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sidaorb

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
Having had a Motorhome stolen, my first tip is to have a special place at home to keep the van keys.
My home was broken into, the house searched and keys found, which they used to drive the van away.
Afterwards we bought for our next van, every gadget going. We use none of them now. A hole drilled through the seat baseplate when the seat is facing backwards (Captains chair), has a good clutch lock fitted through it. I don't think it would be easy to drive the van facing the wrong way.

MH keys will be in the gun safe, so fairly secure from Vamoose theft.

My thoughts are home is very secure more concerned about roadside whilst away if left unattended. Hence thoughts of high visual deterrents.

Which reminds me, when parked up, window reflectors fitted all the time yes or no?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sidaorb

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
Security for the MH door, any preferences?

Fiamma or Thule handrail or similar?

Fiamma Magnum door lock ?

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I read a story in a car mag many years ago about a boy racer who had some GTi something or other with loads of stereo gear etc, had spent 1000's on it. He fitted 3 alarms and 2 immobilisers, had an anchor point on his drive that he chained it to and it still disappeared one night!

There is a balance between sensible precautions and making something a challenge to scroates!

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
1995 VW T4 Compass Calypso, so hopefully old enough to not become a victim, will be kept on driveway, cul-de-sac with lots of neighborhood watchers.

Security advice please, already have mini shopping list, looking for thoughts.

Wheel clamp (rear)
Corner steady lock nuts
Autolok gearstick
Disclock
Pedal lock (either clutch claw or pedal box)

Number plate on roof in 2 ft letters
Wheel clamp suggestions https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ered-saunderson-security.183736/#post-3018951
Clutch Claw info. & discount code taking £9.90 off https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ies-discount-codes.184590/page-5#post-3098432
Discount code mhmad-10 for 10% off Disclock https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/ but consider the steering wheel cover too https://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/steering-wheel-cover-for-disklok/ to prevent damage if it's leather covered.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Security for the MH door, any preferences?

Fiamma or Thule handrail or similar?

Fiamma Magnum door lock ?
I would give both of those a miss, if someone decides to break in it makes it easy for them. Gives then something to lever on doesn't take much effort to pull the fixings through the van wall and do loads of damage.

A few years ago a friend had his van broken into at City Europe he had one of Fiamma hand rails, they pulled the fixings right through the wall. £3000 damage to the van, £20 of CD's stolen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sidaorb

sidaorb

Free Member
Mar 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dont know yet
Exp
I would give both of those a miss, if someone decides to break in it makes it easy for them. Gives then something to lever on doesn't take much effort to pull the fixings through the van wall and do loads of damage.

A few years ago a friend had his van broken into at City Europe he had one of Fiamma hand rails, they pulled the fixings right through the wall. £3000 damage to the van, £20 of CD's stolen.

I did wonder if the amount of damage outweighed value of items, nothing of value will be in it at home, just basic electricals, laptop, camera, tablets when away

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As I have often heard, if someone really wants to steal your van, they will find a way, so you may just as well make them work for it.

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I read a story in a car mag many years ago about a boy racer who had some GTi something or other with loads of stereo gear etc, had spent 1000's on it. He fitted 3 alarms and 2 immobilisers, had an anchor point on his drive that he chained it to and it still disappeared one night!

There is a balance between sensible precautions and making something a challenge to scroates!
I read a story in a paper many years ago about a big red bus appearing on the Moon!

Shouldn’t believe everything you read, even when you read it many years ago ;)

Upvote 0

fursty ferret

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi we also own a VW Compass Calypso 1996 2.4 diesel it's kept parked in the drive &for peace of mind my wife bought me a TK Star 915 tracker for Christmas. I know it won't stop them stealing it but we will know immediately they step into it as it will set off the Vibration Alarm it also has a Senser Alarm & is a brilliant bit of kit for the money &was only about £35 so well worth it . You can download a Free App & control it all from your phone with the GPRS linked to Google maps so youyknow excactly where your moho is at all times Good Luck,Gray & Pat

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Cambs
Funster No
MH
In between.
Exp
Since 2017
We have a Disklock and New Defender wheel clamp. It won’t stop them breaking in but with the Thatcham alarm blasting out, hopefully they will not have the time to steal the van. :confused:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back