Security! What Deterrent! (1 Viewer)

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Some lowlife has just gained entry to my "Van" and stole my TV.
19" HD ready LCD Digital with inbuilt DVD. How they gained entry is down to my fault and I will certainly make sure it does not happen so easily next time.

I suppose I should be grateful that they only took the TV and did not do any more damage than was necessary.
They unscrewed 4 Phillips screws to remove it from the swinging arm bracket and to release the power cable. They even had the cheek to open the Heki roof light blind to give themselves more light. Cheekier still they removed the DVD that was in the set and left that behind.

So, a big lesson learned, but, I do hope they try again because they will be in for a nasty shock when they do.
Police were informed but only as a matter of fact, no complaint was made as there would be no point in pursuing the matter. No insurance claim will be sought, only the sick feeling that these lowlife have been in my "Van" and are laughing as they pass by, probably daily.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Rigging live mains or whatever to exposed parts could leave you open to prosecution, besides which they have your telly, didn't like your choice of DVD why would they come back. hope your insurance covered the loss:Sad:.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
It's a pity they don't code these similar to Car radios.
Guess there might be some inconvenience but if you had to enter a code everytime the TV was switched on it might just deter the "opportunist" thief especially if it sported a sticker saying it was coded.

:Doh:Just a thought

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
after we were burgled at our villa in Turkey, we bought a 'trip wire' with a BLANK shot-gun cartridge which fits into a holder on the end. Make sure you put it in a place that the intruder is sure to fall over it and the cartridge goes off. Years ago, a friend of ours used this method in his garage (there was no electric supply) and one morning he himself accidently tripped over it and set it off - apparently he was 500 yards down the lane before he stopped running, his heart pounding, his legs weak with fear and it was 2 days before his hearing came back.
We used it in Turkey because of the same problem with intermitant electric supplies, and they must be legal because they are readily available in army surplus stores.
Ever since we fitted the one in Turkey, I have wished they would break in our middle floor veranda door again - I would just love them to drop 15 feet to the ground in shock!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
after we were burgled at our villa in Turkey, we bought a 'trip wire' with a BLANK shot-gun cartridge which fits into a holder on the end. Make sure you put it in a place that the intruder is sure to fall over it and the cartridge goes off. Years ago, a friend of ours used this method in his garage (there was no electric supply) and one morning he himself accidently tripped over it and set it off - apparently he was 500 yards down the lane before he stopped running, his heart pounding, his legs weak with fear and it was 2 days before his hearing came back.
We used it in Turkey because of the same problem with intermitant electric supplies, and they must be legal because they are readily available in army surplus stores.
Ever since we fitted the one in Turkey, I have wished they would break in our middle floor veranda door again - I would just love them to drop 15 feet to the ground in shock!

Probably give them a heart attack.......:Doh:

Wouldn't get away with it over here.The burglar would sue you ....and probably WIN.:Angry:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When we were robbed in Spain in our caravan they just used a something like a screwdriver at the bottom corner of the door and the secure plastic style like just popped open.

Left a little dent on the bottom on my door:Doh:

Real sorry to hear about you robbery.

OP
OP
N

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Not even bothering about the insurance Roger as it was my fault that they gained entry too easily.

paul&stella

Free Member
Jul 6, 2008
Funster No
Probably give them a heart attack.......:Doh:

Wouldn't get away with it over here.The burglar would sue you ....and probably WIN.:Angry:

We do use them over here - we can only buy them over here, they're good for anywhere there is no electricity for a full alarm system. The only place they don't work well is anywhere damp.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Sorry to hear about the theft of your TV. Hopefully they damaged it on removal or transport and it won't work!
Lucille

OP
OP
N

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
So do I Lucille, but I doubt it.
They knew exactly what they were doing.
I'm just grateful that they didn't trash the van.
A valuable lesson learned of course.
Still rankles though.

OP
OP
N

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
As I said previously, a valuable/costly lesson was learned.
There will be no TV in the van when parked up outside the house and extra locks have been purchased along with a new alarm system that makes it impossible for me to leave any door unlocked and not alarmed.

Only problem I've got now is how do I stay out of trouble when I shoot them if I catch them trying to gain entry next time.

(And I'm not joking!)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Really sorry for you, its a real sickener. Its the same old story.

A determined thief will get in anywhere. All that you can do is try to make sure that you make it as difficult as possible for the scum.

I think a lot of the time its complacancey. I (touch wood) have never been burgled, this leads me to not think about it to much. Its only when people like yourself report this kind of thing that I do start to wonder.

A lot is down to a bit of common sense and being constantley aware that these scum bags are about.

All the best (and keep smiling)

Jim :Smile:

A

Anne

Deleted User
Burglars

Hi, sorry to hear about them nicking your tv, It worries me endless about our motor home when its parked on the drive, a family around the corner from us came out one morning to find pellet holes all over her caravan, as some idiot kids had been using it as target practise thru the night! Turns out they found out who the kids were (14 & 15 yr olds) all they got was a caution! We use a proper motor home storage place which costs us £1 a day, but it has CCTV, a moat, electric gates and is hidden from the road, they dont even have a sign outside so anyone driving past wouldnt even see it! Its an hours drive away which is a hassle - but the peace of mind is worth it! We even had an alarm fitted, immobiliser and tracker, every time we set the alarm off by mistake we get a phone call from the tracker company - once again not cheap - but its the peace of mind we need...- but at the end of the day when we plan to go out and park it on the drive overnight there is nothing to stop some little s....t scraping a key down the side of it, or doing what ever damage they like!!! What can you do? :shout: Anne

TravellingCliffs

Free Member
May 15, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 1999
Hi, sorry to hear about them nicking your tv, It worries me endless about our motor home when its parked on the drive, a family around the corner from us came out one morning to find pellet holes all over her caravan, as some idiot kids had been using it as target practise thru the night! Turns out they found out who the kids were (14 & 15 yr olds) all they got was a caution! We use a proper motor home storage place which costs us £1 a day, but it has CCTV, a moat, electric gates and is hidden from the road, they dont even have a sign outside so anyone driving past wouldnt even see it! Its an hours drive away which is a hassle - but the peace of mind is worth it! We even had an alarm fitted, immobiliser and tracker, every time we set the alarm off by mistake we get a phone call from the tracker company - once again not cheap - but its the peace of mind we need...- but at the end of the day when we plan to go out and park it on the drive overnight there is nothing to stop some little s....t scraping a key down the side of it, or doing what ever damage they like!!! What can you do? :shout: Anne

As with all the other posts, very sorry to hear of your misfortune. We have been done twice and truly know the bad feeling it leaves that your space has been invaded, quite apart from the stuff you lose. We have now got an interactive alarm, they phone when the alarm goes off, and it makes us feel better when we have to leave the van. The only time they have phoned since is when we accidentally set it off ourselves but it does at least prove that the system works. Annoyingly we only ever set it off when we are abroad and paying roaming rates:Blush:. Phantom Interactive if you are interested, excellent. Tony

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
why would they come back. hope your insurance covered the loss:Sad:.

Wildman asks the above question and the answer is simple........"To steal the brand new TV you have bought to replace the one the low life scum bag stole":Eeek:

I

itinerant

Deleted User
Some lowlife has just gained entry to my "Van" and stole my TV.
19" HD ready LCD Digital with inbuilt DVD. How they gained entry is down to my fault and I will certainly make sure it does not happen so easily next time.

I suppose I should be grateful that they only took the TV and did not do any more damage than was necessary.
They unscrewed 4 Phillips screws to remove it from the swinging arm bracket and to release the power cable. .
Our flat screen freeveiw TV only cost a bit over £200 but we wouldn't consider leaving it on show when the van is not in use. I won't go into details but unless it is in use it slides away in a place where even the most devious of thieves would not find it let alone recognise it if he/she did. I would suggest you replacement gets the same treatment. Remember even the strongest lock can be defeated with a battery angle grinder or bolt croppers but if you can't see it....
Sorry to hear about ypour loss anyway.

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
"Shoot them and I'm not joking either"

I'm with you on that!:thumb:

I'd use a digital camera with manual overide to get maximum exposure, a good mechanical zoom lens and powerful flash unit.

Ian:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
security

Two air bag modules from steering wheels either side of the doorway at head height, wired to a pressure switch under the carpet and the battery.

The intruder will be deaf and knocked out, which will give you time to allow them to accidentally headbutt your fist and the ground repaetedly until the police arrive.

I am, though, truly sorry to hear about your loss, but until Mr and Mrs public take a hardline with this scum, they will never learn.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Security

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank goodness they didn't do too much damage while inside, you hear so much about some of them leaving calling cards.

We have had a problem with our habitation door lock recently (thread elsewhere) and were shocked to see how the lock had been fitted.

Only 4 screws through the lock and into the door, and one of those was spinning round and not holding. When I think of the nights we've wildcamped and thought we were secure I shiver. A bit of determination and the door could be forced open and leave the lock hanging inside.

These locks look good but how effective is yours?

We've fitted a fiamma lock for security outside and now we are working on our internal security.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back