Security warning with respect to Apple Tags. They can steal your account. Affects all apple device owners. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Tony68000

Free Member
Sep 10, 2021
North Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 999M
Exp
Super Newbie
Thanks for the tip off. To be clear, this vulnerability doesn’t affect the owner of the AirTag, but could affect the finder of the tag. If the owner has put malicious code in their phone number field, then the finder, when scanning the device, could be redirected to a phishing page.

Users of these tags have nothing to worry about, finders of these tags, maybe. I think this is one of those extreme edge-cases - a hacker would have to purchase an AirTag, plant malicious code in their phone number field, then drop the £29 device somewhere hoping someone finds it and falls for the phishing scam. There are easier and cheaper ways for hackers to get your details. I suspect Apple will address this soon regardless.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Air tag ?

I had never heard of them until an alert popped up on my phone at the Stratford Fun rally, I can only assume that somebody there had one.

Jul 7, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Carthago Cmpct i143
Exp
In the meantime, you can (partially) mitigate this by enabling Two-Factor Authentication in Settings > iCloud > Password & Security.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Safer to assume anything can be hacked….if someone thinks your device is worth hacking.
use any security systems / advice for your device.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I believe Apple have closed this loop hole now, but more worrying is air tags can be used to track people in effect.

That sounds fine if your talking about your kids, but what if someone wanted to effectively spy on you?

There are cases of untrusting spouses etc putting these in cars etc and following people’s movements, in effect your own iPhone is reporting your movements without you knowing, scary stuff.

Its possible to stop this by using a Bluetooth tracker app such as BLE but how many of us are going to run a trace each day?

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I believe Apple have closed this loop hole now, but more worrying is air tags can be used to track people in effect.

That sounds fine if your talking about your kids, but what if someone wanted to effectively spy on you?

There are cases of untrusting spouses etc putting these in cars etc and following people’s movements, in effect your own iPhone is reporting your movements without you knowing, scary stuff.

Its possible to stop this by using a Bluetooth tracker app such as BLE but how many of us are going to run a trace each day?
This is incorrect. To prevent the very point you are making about tracking unsuspecting people they make a loud audible noise if out of physical range from your iPhone after a few hours. You will find the link if you search 'spare keys' on this site. You can track your children if the have a phone and turn the location manager on - sadly a mate of mine has his wife's tracker on so it alerts him when she is 2 miles away from home so he can....put the kettle on and make a her a cup of tea!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
This is incorrect. To prevent the very point you are making about tracking unsuspecting people they make a loud audible noise if out of physical range from your iPhone after a few hours. You will find the link if you search 'spare keys' on this site. You can track your children if the have a phone and turn the location manager on - sadly a mate of mine has his wife's tracker on so it alerts him when she is 2 miles away from home so he can....put the kettle on and make a her a cup of tea!
The audible alert is easily turned off.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The audible alert is easily turned off.
That's not my understanding but I am not an expert, don't have one and it rather defeats the objective of that feature. If you could it could therefore be worth investing in one as an inexpensive tracker for the electric bikes so please let us know how to turn the feature off.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
That's not my understanding but I am not an expert, don't have one and it rather defeats the objective of that feature. If you could it could therefore be worth investing in one as an inexpensive tracker for the electric bikes so please let us know how to turn the feature off.
I’ve no idea, but having been tracked by some of these bloody things for a few months I can assure you it’s possible.

Im actually moving away from Apple devices for this very reason.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I know at least one person on this forum is using them, but can't find the thread.

This doesn't just affect those who own the tags though it affects all apple device owners.

Be wary.

People are more likely to get hacked by leaving Bluetooth on and in discovery mode. I just love these scare stories no doubt a patch will come along soon. What is the random chance someone finds a lost tag and is able to create code and ‘inject it’ pretty slim at the moment so just turn the feature off if your worried.

The more you open your devices up the more chance of being hacked. It doesn’t matter what manufacturer. Leave a door open and some idiot will gain access.

I should add I use tile and never leave it connected permanently only connect via Bluetooth if I want to use it that way it greatly reduces tracking and hacking.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
BUT!!! :D

And there are some 600 tile users in my locality there is no way I leave my blue tooth on all the time and only occasionally switch on tile locator if needed. You will note tracking is not unique to air tags and if your using Facebook, Google and a Plether of other apps you are being tracked quite nicely thank you.

So use air tags if you need and choose which features you may want to use to if not then don’t, you have a choice to be tracked or not from any of these products and services.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And there are some 600 tile users in my locality there is no way I leave my blue tooth on all the time and only occasionally switch on tile locator if needed. You will note tracking is not unique to air tags and if your using Facebook, Google and a Plether of other apps you are being tracked quite nicely thank you.

So use air tags if you need and choose which features you may want to use to if not then don’t, you have a choice to be tracked or not from any of these products and services.
I was taking the mick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back