Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Before you go away on holiday in your Motorhome you should record all your valuable items on the immobilise/MendUK database. Whether you are leaving valuables at home or taking them with you, get them recorded. Everything from your modem/phone through to those prize pieces of art. But especially those items that have sentimental value. Record them today so if you are robbed the chances of recovery are very high.

Here is the link you need <UK National Property Register>

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim,Sorry if I sound Sceptical, but you hear of so much identity theft and databases being hacked into.This site COULD effectively host copies of birth certificates, Title deeds etc.Lists of all your valuables, insurance documents etc.While I think the idea is good, I think I'd be happier with them in a Vault somewhere.What do you think?

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All that information is out there already. I would judge the National database to as secure, if not more so, than the insurance companies own. However many things in life are a risk to assess and then try and negate as best we can. Judging by the tens of thousands of stolen items that are recovered but never get back to the rightful owner, then it seems the chances of you being robbed are a lot greater than hackers breaking into the database and tracking you down to nick the Gucchi phone you registered:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

david1805

Deleted User
david1805

Hi everone out there , i have just joined and am a bit rusty with the forum , i am travelling to italy in aug and very concerned with security , i have been told to be very carefull where i stop overnight as gassing to gain access to the vans is very common , this has concerned me greatly as we have 2 children with us, can you advise me on the safest way to go about overnight stops ,and is there a good alarm i can buy , thanks for your help david

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
i have been told to be very carefull where i stop overnight as gassing to gain access to the vans is very common , this has concerned me greatly as we have 2 children with us, can you advise me on the safest way to go about overnight stops ,and is there a good alarm i can buy , thanks for your help david

:RollEyes: Here we go again. GASSING?

:RollEyes: Myth? Don't start this off again. I KNOW some have said they have been gassed and robbed. I've met some of them. Just let me say that I take it with a pinch of salt.
In 8 years of traveling all over Europe and parking in Aires, Truck stops and other supposed dangerous places. We have NEVER, NOT ONCE been gassed. We HAVE had bikes stolen (while we were not there) and have on occasion felt the need to move. But that has NOT stopped us carrying on parking wherever we feel the need.
Happy RV'ing/Motor-homing. May your travels be many and your troubles be few. :winky:

D

david1805

Deleted User
Thanks for the promp reply, its allways good to get pos feed back it does help , i have just bought a swift kontiki 2.5 td 1988 and never owned a motorhome before can you advise me on anything to look out for on these models, the engine is a citreon , i do find her a bit thirsty around town but not yet gone on a long run so hoping it will be a bit better , she has just had a full service with 88000 on the clock and runs well but you cannot be to carefull any advise before we set out will be greatfully recieved , david swansea

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
:RollEyes: Here we go again. GASSING?

:RollEyes: Myth? Don't start this off again. I KNOW some have said they have been gassed and robbed. I've met some of them. Just let me say that I take it with a pinch of salt.

That your view, I don't share it:winky:

Alway be cautious when not staying on a site:thumb:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Before you go away on holiday in your Motorhome you should record all your valuable items on the immobilise/MendUK database. Whether you are leaving valuables at home or taking them with you, get them recorded. Everything from your modem/phone through to those prize pieces of art. But especially those items that have sentimental value. Record them today so if you are robbed the chances of recovery are very high.

Here is the link you need <UK National Property Register>

Mine would be a very short list nowadays :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Hi everone out there , i have just joined and am a bit rusty with the forum , i am travelling to italy in aug and very concerned with security , i have been told to be very carefull where i stop overnight as gassing to gain access to the vans is very common , this has concerned me greatly as we have 2 children with us, can you advise me on the safest way to go about overnight stops ,and is there a good alarm i can buy , thanks for your help david

Hi David:
Whether gassing occurs is very debatable. If you are concerned you can buy alarms that sense gas and can also be useful for detecting carbon monoxide and LPG leaks. However, thefts from motorhomes do occur.

The answer is 'sensible precautions.' We have motorhomed for six months every year for the last five years without incident stopping on sites, aires, sostas and wild camping. We toured France and Italy last winter spending 3 months in Sicily. We feel safer than we do at home.

However, there have been definite incidents of motorhome robberies both when the van was unoccupied and the occupiers sleeping. A lot of these occur on motorway service stations or aires so these are best avoided. Often what looks sensible isn't - for example parking with the trucks might be seen to be a good step but it also provides cover for miscreants and the noise from truck generators can hide the sound of someone breaking in. Don't leave handbags or wallets or mobile phones or other valuables on display and when you retire - hide them in the van.

In France it is very easy to find an aire a short distance from a motorway in a village or small town. The French welcome motorhomers. If you have doubts stay on a site.

Do you have alarms fitted? Do they work in the habitation area when you occupy the van at night? The most likely access points are the van passenger and driver doors as the locks can be breached easily and their quarter-light windows and plastic windows in the rest of the van that can be forced. Skylights can also provide a point of entry for some of the houdinis. I have met someone whose front window was taken out.

We bought an alarm to supplement the vans original alarm - it cost me about £20 on Ebay and senses any pressure on windows or the opening of a door or window. We bought a heat and movement detector that starts a barking-dog alarm.
If not on a site we chain the two front doors together so they can't be pulled open and turn the front seats so they block access. Remember that any defensive measures you take mustn't compromise your ability to escape the van in case of fire.

If you think safety you will in all probability be safe - thousands of motorhomers tour every year without incident and have a wonderful time. Enjoy your travels.

:Smile:
Keith

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Thanks for the promp reply, its allways good to get pos feed back it does help , i have just bought a swift kontiki 2.5 td 1988 and never owned a motorhome before can you advise me on anything to look out for on these models, the engine is a citreon , i do find her a bit thirsty around town but not yet gone on a long run so hoping it will be a bit better , she has just had a full service with 88000 on the clock and runs well but you cannot be to carefull any advise before we set out will be greatfully recieved , david swansea

:Cool: Hi David. Our 1989 Talbot Express Kontiki 2.5TD (basically all the same) does around 24/25mpg on a long run. Ours is showing 89000 on the clock which is now not working, although the Trip still works along with the speedo. I think it's been clocked before we bought it, so it may be very much higher. However. It DOES run well compared to our Fiat 1.9 Dethleffs. Quite happy with it apart from it has been sadly neglected.
Make sure the Cam belt has been changed. If you don't know? It is worth having it checked. It should last you many years. Happy travels.

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
you just have to be as carefull as u can ive slept o/night on aires and never been gassed dont beleive it myself but there u go .last year i slept in a picnic type layby about 1 mile of the m/way in a quiet area by the river very nice , but one year i took the advice which e/body gives you to get amongst the lorries for a safe nights sleep thats the thing to do [36 feet m/h] and at 8.30am a lorry driver about 6 feet thirteen who i had never met or spoke to arrived parked about 10 bays away came up to the m/home shouted a load of abuse in a foreign language kicked a dent in the side of the m/h went back to his lorry and came back with an iron bar to attack us me wife and kids .i managed to pull of just in time so he thru the iron bar after us never could work out why and believe me everybody looks the other way. some times you can just be in the wrong place at the wrong time but off we go again this year next fri

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
...I have just bought a swift kontiki 2.5 td 1988 and never owned a motorhome before can you advise me on anything to look out for on these models...

David, You'll probably get a better response if you post a new thread on this question(s) :winky:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I honestly think rather than buying an alarm just be sensible and avoid motorway services however inviting they look especially in Spain:winky:

We did have an incident (along with 10 other vehicles) that cannot be explained but sure an alarm would not have helped us.

We could just as easily had an incident in the UK but reckon we would have been more aware of how it had happened.

Good luck the worlds a wonderful place seen from a motorhome where you choose the place and pace of your trip.

Last edited:
J

joseph97

Deleted User
Gassed in Italy

Hello...........in response to any scepticism my cousin has 1 month ago been gassed & robbed in her holiday home in southern italy . They never felt a thing new car stolen after keys & money were taken from bedside table when they were both asleep . Apparently the gas they use is ordinary car start spray that you can spray into the inlet manifold when you have trouble starting cars especially older diesel cars etc .
If it can happen in a locked house then surely a motorhome is easy prey .

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hello...........in response to any scepticism my cousin has 1 month ago been gassed & robbed in her holiday home in southern italy . They never felt a thing new car stolen after keys & money were taken from bedside table when they were both asleep . Apparently the gas they use is ordinary car start spray that you can spray into the inlet manifold when you have trouble starting cars especially older diesel cars etc .
If it can happen in a locked house then surely a motorhome is easy prey .

I'm sorry please don't take this personally but I doubt that it was 'car start spray'. Can you be more specific, are there any more details? I hope your cousin has recovered from her ordeal and that this doesn't put her off. It is very easy for people to be robbed whilst they are asleep without being drugged. I could sleep through a thunderstorm. A few drinks and some people could sleep through an earthquake.

Jon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sorry please don't take this personally but I doubt that it was 'car start spray'. Can you be more specific, are there any more details? I hope your cousin has recovered from her ordeal and that this doesn't put her off. It is very easy for people to be robbed whilst they are asleep without being drugged. I could sleep through a thunderstorm. A few drinks and some people could sleep through an earthquake.

Jon

a few drinks and i can sleep standing up:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
You got no chance of me recording there

Have heard the rumours and stories.

I post a recorded delivery letter to a relative (any particular relative i choose) on the day I leave home) that way there is no previous knowledge

and i have some relatives i can trust with anything

and i realise some people dont because i also have relatives i cant trust xxxxxx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back