Security Tip - In case you are broken into (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2018
Funster No
We were burgled while away in our motorhome last year at the Malvern show the b****ard just took the jewellery left the cash even moved a couple of old pay packets with money in to get to the jewels. I don't think he had ever had a job so did not know what a wage package was!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We had our van broken into the first week we bought it. Minor things went missing, small tv, DVD player and sat nav. Thinking it was worth reporting to get a crime number I rang the none emergency number. The person on the other end was rude and accused me of leaving the van unlocked because there was no damage to the body. I lodged a complaint and heard nothing for two weeks.
Whilst we were waiting for the ferry in Dover the police rang me apologising about the attitude of the call handler. Apparently there had been a spate of Fords being broken into by cloning the central locking. This is why there was no damage.
We were lucky there wasn’t much else in the van but I fitted dead locks inside the front doors to slow them down next time.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Unless it happens in the UK where you'd get sued. 🙄
This is interesting, I’ve no end of Stanley blades in my tools . Should said toolbox be stolen and said thief cuts themselves would I be sued ?
seems a far stretch to me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago we returned to our motorhome and found that the battery in the alarm fob had failed and would not switch off the alarm. Aware that we had a spare hidden in the m/h we unlocked using the key and entered, triggering the alarm.

The problem was we had hidden the spare fob two years previously and couldn’t remember exactly where.

There we were, alarm sounding, visibly ransacking the cupboards looking for the fob, with people passing by totally ignoring what we were doing. After a couple of minutes we located the spare and silenced the alarm. It took us about twenty minutes to tidy up again.

No-one stopped or asked what we were doing.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013
The comment I made about alarms sounding is sound. So many people nowadays don’t want to ‘get involved’ Yes, if an alarm went off near me I would look around to see where it’s coming from, but would I challenge anyone? Not a chance, I value my health too much, I don’t want to become a statistic. I think that deadlocks are probably the best deterrent and are not too expensive.
I had my previous motorhome broken into, they just bent the habitation door out from the bottom and crawled in. Now the new one has a lock on the top and bottom (as well as the central door lock. Been ok up to now

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
An old very large German van we parked next to on a French aires had an alarm that was the sound of a large dog barking, and they also had a very large dog. The alarm dog was a little louder than the real dog who was no gentle giant, but when they left the van with the real dog, they accidentally set off the doggy alarm as they locked up. The real dog joined in, tried to pull away from the (small) owner who dropped his keys which skidded under the van. Mayhem. And we were parked door to door! But it was day time, so was a little light entertainment for us. Motorhome Fun!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Back in the day (1980-90’s) when working in Casablanca, Tangiers and Fez we used to buy Secondhand wallets in the local market and fill them with newspaper before putting them in our back pockets and going out for the evening, the game was to see who managed to catch the scrote, we seldom did, but we knew where the paper had been, and we knew they could get our money.

We also used to get issues when sleeping in the van or truck (not MH) and developed a protection policy, I’ve posted some details before, but basically if you enter my MH uninvited you’ll be more than wanting to leave in under 3 seconds and happy if you get out in 10.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
This is our additional deterrent.

<Broken link removed>

Likes scrotes but can't eat a full one in one sitting😁

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Try again, picky of our scroat deterrent

Attachments

• Norwegian-elkhound.jpg
    Norwegian-elkhound.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 17
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
A Police Crime Prevention Officer once told me that his job was misnamed. His job couldn't actually prevent crime, but what he could do is to divert the criminal somewhere else. He suggested that if your neighbour has no burglar alarm, and you painted a biscuit tin yellow and nailed it to your wall, the burglar would be slightly more likely to do over your neighbour.

The same principle would be then as a first defence, have very clear notification that your bus is alarmed, has high security locks or that nothing of value is inside. The first stage to encouraging the thief to go next door.

A second defence would then be to actually have high security locks and alarms! About half of professional thieves know about locks. The other half are probably too spaced on crack to even see straight. You then encourage about half of potential thieves to go next door.

But as has been said, a determined thief will get in and not care about what damage they do in doing so.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Visual cab deadlocks, every man and his dog knows how to open Sevel van doors. But when they see these bad lads they move along, nothing to see here😆 👍😎

View attachment 403725
My mate had those on his van. They just cut the whole thing out with a cordless grinder and were in.
A prepared thief will get in no matter what added secutiry is used but the harder you make it the more damage.they cause IMO.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My mate had those on his van. They just cut the whole thing out with a cordless grinder and were in.
A prepared thief will get in no matter what added secutiry is used but the harder you make it the more damage.they cause IMO.
Jeez that's pretty extreme determination to get in 🤔 was it a Snap On van or something?
The lock is actually in the frame you'd have to grind out a large piece of door just to get the grinder in 😳

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Jeez that's pretty extreme determination to get in 🤔 was it a Snap On van or something?
The lock is actually in the frame you'd have to grind out a large piece of door just to get the grinder in 😳
window fitters van he had dead locks on all his doors they just ground the whole locks out and broke in. Cost a fortune to repair. The van was only a year old too. B******* the lot of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back