Security post or bollard installation (1 Viewer)

Andy Freer

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi there

We are due to take delivery of our first motorhome in a couple of weeks, and was looking for a little bit of advice if possible.
I appreciate that if someone is determined to steal a motorhome it doesn't really matter what security you install, however, a few security measures I am sure might make them think twice!
We are looking to install a security post/bollard in front of the motorhome, and wondered if anyone could give any advice about which type? If anyone has any recommendations of someone/company to install in the Leicestershire area, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Andy

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, we installed a "RAMPOST" back in 2014. Found it on e-bay and they offer a supply only or supply, deliver and install service. Available in a number of colours.

If you choose to install your self, do ensure you have no gas, water or electric cables under your preferred site.
101.jpg

Upvote 0

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Don't forget that a motorhome thief will have no problem with driving over your garden and through a flimsy wooden fence or hedge to avoid a security post, so have a good look around for routes someone would take who isn't too bothered about damage. Anything that acts as a deterrent is a good idea though (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just take one of the drive wheels off.
Posts can be driven over or removed with a universal key as below.
I can’t see many low life carrying around one or two wheels so as to remove your pride and joy.
Along with alarm immobiliser etc all should be good.

226107DD-A048-47FB-8AE2-63DA27FFD8BE.png

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As well as above the scum are using gas welding cutters too, they cut wheel clamps and hitch locks off in seconds.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont rely on one item , as I "lost" a caravan with two wheel clamps , a hitchlock , behind a 5 bar steel gate with high tensile chain round post and hinges welded to prevent lift !!

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Don't forget that a motorhome thief will have no problem with driving over your garden and through a flimsy wooden fence or hedge to avoid a security post, so have a good look around for routes someone would take who isn't too bothered about damage. Anything that acts as a deterrent is a good idea though (y)
We're ok there - buildings both sides.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I think it's about delaying and providing a visible deterrent as much as anything. We have just fitted a post. Between the post and the wall, there is little room for manoeuvre. We leave the bed down too, so accessing the cab from the passenger door is nigh on impossible.

Upvote 0

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
By all means, fit one (I am going to) but whatever you do, do not declare to your insures that you have a security post. It will attract little or no discount on your premium and on the day you don't have it fitted and the pride and joy disappears you have handed them their get out clause - security device not used.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Andy Freer

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Many thanks for all of your replies and advice. I am sure I will be back asking other questions over the coming weeks/months!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back