Security Kill Switch: Which Circuit to Interupt? (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Hi Folks

Wondering if anyone has fitted a Kill Switch to prevent their van from being driven away.

I have a Tracker and the usual Ducato Key and Security etc, but I'd like to have a hidden Kill Switch installed.

It seems the Ducato has two fuel pumps, one of which is mechanical (or so I'm lead to believe), and one electric. My understanding is that if a Kill Switch interrupts the fuel pump circuit the engine will still turn over and start and it may be driven some short distance before there is fuel starvation. And once it has stopped the mechanical pump may allow it to start and drive that distance again. I guess that would cause some degree of problems for thieves but not exactly what I'm looking for.

So I think interrupting either the ignition feed well away from the key and steering wheel (so cant easily be traced and reconnected), or even the starter (relay)feed would be preferable, in which case the engine should not even turn over.

Have any of you Funsters actually done this on a Ducato, and if so would you share the method you used?

Appreciate your feedback.

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
A little risky on an open forum to advise how to fit a battery kill switch then all and sundry will know how to bypass to steal, Private message perhaps to members only ?

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Hardly going to discuss the location of a kill switch! I think discussing the best circuit to interrupt is unlikely to start a rush to steal Motorhomes!

Which member would you recommend I PM ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I fitted a switch in the starter motor solenoid cable on the old MG I owned. This stopped the engine from cranking. Nothing very technical but it might slow down any potential theft by a low life.

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I fitted a switch in the starter motor solenoid cable on the old MG I owned. This stopped the engine from cranking. Nothing very technical but it might slow down any potential theft by a low life.
Thanks bigwood Yes that is a definite option but I believe that is a 20amp circuit, so would prefer a lighter circuit to splice a switch into. Perhaps the signal feed to the starter relay (that I think feeds the Solenoid)?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks bigwood Yes that is a definite option but I believe that is a 20amp circuit, so would prefer a lighter circuit to splice a switch into. Perhaps the signal feed to the starter relay (that I think feeds the Solenoid)?
I think that's what Big wood is referring to.
The other starter soliniod cable would need a switch capable of carrying 200 or 300 amps.
The trigger switch wire would be my preferred choice and would be the least obvious.
Using the electric fuel pump could throw a fault code for the fuel system. IE: ignition on, no fuel pressure, fault code.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The other starter soliniod cable would need a switch capable of carrying 200 or 300 amps.

My mate has one of these in the starter motor cable. He takes the key out with him

s-l1600 (2).jpg

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I think that's what Big wood is referring to.
The trigger switch wire would be my preferred choice and would be the least obvious.
Using the electric fuel pump could throw a fault code for the fuel system. IE: ignition on, no fuel pressure, fault code.
Thanks Pappajohn, which is the trigger switch wire you are referring to? The wire to the starter relay?

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
You could potentially fit one of these, but maybe into the starter motor cable rather than the main battery supply.......

Car Remote Control Battery Switch Disconnect with Positive Connection Cable DC 12V Latching Relay Electromagnetic Solenoid Valve Terminal Master Kill System Anti-theft Amazon product ASIN B07ZFPYML1

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yeah that really needs to be under the bonnet, I’m hoping for something in the cab a bit more discrete.

He has come through the bulkhead and the switch key / lever is inside the cab

OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
You could potentially fit one of these, but maybe into the starter motor cable rather than the main battery supply.......

Car Remote Control Battery Switch Disconnect with Positive Connection Cable DC 12V Latching Relay Electromagnetic Solenoid Valve Terminal Master Kill System Anti-theft Amazon product ASIN B07ZFPYML1
That’s a nice find, unfortunately that will completely disconnect the battery so the likes of clocks etc would need to be reset after each activation (AFAICS). I think something simpler is the answer.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
That’s a nice find, unfortunately that will completely disconnect the battery so the likes of clocks etc would need to be reset after each activation (AFAICS). I think something simpler is the answer.
As I said install it in the cable to the starter motor instead.....rather than a total battery disconnect.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think that wire to the solenoid will be 20amp too, I know in other vehicles the feed to the ECU and the starter relay is only around 1 amp or so, but I’m open to an education on it.
In that case (which I doubt) you could break the solinoid feed wire and fit a 30amp N/C automotive relay and switch that instead
It would probably be in Milliamps to trigger it.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I know I'm a bit late to this, just took out subscription, but I did the following, obviously not saying where it is but it's been in place for a few years now. One thing I did was work out a way to disable when it goes in to the garage, didn't want to tell the garage how to use it.

Attachments

• 1617133735899_Screenshots~2.png
    1617133735899_Screenshots~2.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 391
OP
OP
I
May 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
I know I'm a bit late to this, just took out subscription, but I did the following, obviously not saying where it is but it's been in place for a few years now. One thing I did was work out a way to disable when it goes in to the garage, didn't want to tell the garage how to use it.
Thanks for that and welcome to the Funhouse! I haven't got my van from storage as yet but my first plan is to interrupt the negative (ground) on the ignition/starter relay, assuming I can identify it and access in in the relay panel. I'll use an on / off switch rather than a momentary to avoid the issue with servicing etc.

Nice design though, thanks.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
IanRJ If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I’ll try to answer them - I have ideas to improve the switch part (magnetic reed switch, Arduino with blue tooth access via phone) but I’ve not gotten round to them yet, it works so there’s no hurry to improve.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Remember that any solution involving the starter circuit can be defeated by bump starting. It is also easy to hotwire, if you know what you're doing.

Sidthegreat

Free Member
Nov 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
knaus
Hi all
have you worked out a simple solution to this?
im looking to do similar to me 2017 Ducato

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
:welco:A variety of options already mentioned but you may get more response and answers to many other questions if you pay the membership fees and join. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back