Security camera. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I’m thinking about getting a security camera to cover the driveway and motorhome. Prices seem to vary from £20 upwards. Can anyone recommend what they are using and a short description of what they do? I understand some may not want to say what they have so a pm would be fine. Thanks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My mh is not kept at home but I do have a couple of security cameras. Victure PC660. They seem very good with high resolution.
1615561558948.jpg

This one is mounted on the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden.
They are from Amazon, prices seem to vary but around £50-£60

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Expect to pay £50-60 for a wifi security camera you can login to from anywhere.
Some of the very cheap ones work differently, they create their own wifi network that you can login to view but you need to be within range of its wifi eg about 4 metres. From reading descriptions it isn't always obvious of this limitation.
Price is a reliable indicator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Blink - again Amazon - seem quite good and don’t require any subscription. Outdoor ones are battery powered so can fix anywhere. Indoor ones are mains powered, but don’t work through glass. Various videos on set up and operation on line. Tried an indoor one in garage, infrared vision very clear, didn’t realise how active moths were during night, couldn’t find where they hid in daylight either. When on you get alerts to phone

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The imou Ranger 2 is good. Just over 30 quid. You can pan tilt zoom, save to sd or cloud, set ignore zones, alarm, text alert etc.

This is from the upstairs bedroom window sill, through double glazing..

Screenshot_20210312-154241_Imou Life.jpg

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just been looking at this type of wireless 2 camera system, it doesn't even need a USB charging lead as batteries last 6 months plus before they need bringing in & charging via USB.
This reviewer knows his stuff, describes several systems in his Vlogs Features, Warts & all.
I cannot find this two camera system on Amazon for £200, its priced just above that, but I guess you get what you pay for, and having watched the BBC Gadget shows reviews on video Doorbells the results from most were sadly disappointing at any price.
Here you go.
LES

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I use Ring cameras, with a Ring Protect sub. (£80/yr) but I have 12 of them, and if one fails, a replacement is sent out f.o.c..... Used mainly for hedgehog watching, but have three at the front of the house, and one in the ‘van connected to the house Wi-fi. As a backup, I also have a couple of Neos Smartcams in the ‘van too which are usb powered - the Rings are battery/solar.

OP
OP
IRHP
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
My mh is not kept at home but I do have a couple of security cameras. Victure PC660. They seem very good with high resolution.View attachment 472905
This one is mounted on the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden.
They are from Amazon, prices seem to vary but around £50-£60
Does that connect to WiFi in the house. Is it ok at that distance?

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
I use Anran cameras 4 cameras all connected to WiFi and can be viewed remotely using phone also have small monitor live in house text alerts and email alerts with video playback great night vision.
A1AF67CC-360A-4BD5-B801-5D751D994381.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I’m thinking about getting a security camera to cover the driveway and motorhome. Prices seem to vary from £20 upwards. Can anyone recommend what they are using and a short description of what they do? I understand some may not want to say what they have so a pm would be fine. Thanks
I installed a number of ring cameras straight after being burgled, these are Wi-fi and a mix of battery and mains powered. A friend recently had a break in to his garage neither his or his neighbours ring camera picked up the intruder around the time of the incident the thought is that they may have use a Wi-fi jammer. So I have invested in some Uniview IP cameras I now have a mix and match of uniview and ring. The Cameras are all running over a Lan I am using BT mini power line plugs to extend the lab to my garage where I have a TP link 4 port Poe switch and one power line adapter and to link 4 port Poe link in my airing cupboard.

the turret cameras I am using have edge storage (SD card) and a Uniview NVR that will store the video the NVR has Poe ports on the back of it which I could have used if connecting the cameras direct. If someone stole the NVR the recordings would still be on the edge storage.

also heard of a burglary where the phone line was cut first so the ring devices did not record the Burglary! So if you have external services I would recommend you secure those as well.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Does that connect to WiFi in the house. Is it ok at that distance?
Yes connects to WiFi in the house, 80% signal strength at about 100ft from the house. All controls from phone anywhere with a phone signal including pan and tilt. They can also be set to track motion.

OP
OP
IRHP
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Yes connects to WiFi in the house, 80% signal strength at about 100ft from the house. All controls from phone anywhere with a phone signal including pan and tilt. They can also be set to track motion.
Sounds good, thanks

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Living in a bungalow we would need to mount it on the house end. The van stands about 9-10 feet away from the house. How much of a view would I get, if I mounted it about 15 feet up, when the van so close

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Suggested that you should not mount higher than 7ft if you want to see faces, the top of someone's head is not very recognisable especially with a hat.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Got a 4 camera WiFi system covering van and motorcycles.

Not linked to the internet to contact me, can’t be bothered, but recordings on a 1TB hard drive.

Writes over ever 28 days.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Uniview are also great products at reasonable prices and also provide much flexibility and have to say the tech support when needed is fabulous identified a minor software issue and the factory has responded really well so a big thumbs up for customer support.

Can’t help feeling that some of these manufacturers may source the same components hikvision and Uniview are both good brands👍

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
The reason's I prefer Hikvision over Uniview is simply
1. CCTVkits give a better back up service and
2. As a professional installer CCTVkits give a much better trade discount.

Hikvision offer an online training course and to get the trade discount you will just need a business name (I'll leave the rest up to your own imagination)

Once you get the trade recognition at CCTVkits check out the discount on the alarm systems such as Ajax

Dacswells

Free Member
Sep 6, 2020
Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar Road
Exp
Put up two Eufy cam 2Cs to keep an eye on the campervan. We got the Eufy’s because we did not want the hassle of having to drill holes and hardwire them; a battery seemed the easier solution. Had them about a year, no problems as such. Battery lasts well, roughly about two months (goodness knows what settings are used for the claimed 6 months bet charges) between recharges on the setting we have - so long as we do not use the spotlights at night time! Picture quality is good but if you want to record sound or use cameras as intercom, the sound is pretty awful.

The Eufyapp is quite good allowing control of cameras and base station remotely, and is regularly updated.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Put up two Eufy cam 2Cs to keep an eye on the campervan. We got the Eufy’s because we did not want the hassle of having to drill holes and hardwire them; a battery seemed the easier solution. Had them about a year, no problems as such. Battery lasts well, roughly about two months (goodness knows what settings are used for the claimed 6 months bet charges) between recharges on the setting we have - so long as we do not use the spotlights at night time! Picture quality is good but if you want to record sound or use cameras as intercom, the sound is pretty awful.

The Eufyapp is quite good allowing control of cameras and base station remotely, and is regularly updated.

We have just bought the eufy cam2 been up a month now and the batteries are still showing full well impressed so far I do suppose it's what settings you have used which will impact on battery live.

Screenshot_20210402_075211_com.oceanwing.battery.cam.jpg

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
IMHO for CCTV to be of any use whatsoever you need reliable push notifications of movement. We have all seen pretty much useless CCTV images of scum in hoodies making off with people's property after the event. This is extremely difficult to achieve reliably without many false notifications. I came across these cheap (for what they are capable of) 2mp 1080p, humanoid detecting, PTZ human motion tracking, ONVIF capable, 12volt (mains adapter supplied) wired or wireless, built in microphone, infra red night vision, colour night vision, built in siren, built in loudspeaker, two way audio, record either alarm events or scheduled/continuous to internal SD Card (not supplied) and work with the CamHiPro App on Android all for £50 plus a tenner for a 32gb decent SD card. These cameras although not foolproof (some false positive notifications) are the best I have found. I now have six of them covering the Motorhome and my house. One sensibly positioned would cover a Motorhome easily because of the humanoid tracking. I also bought another cheap (£89) Evtevision IP NVR and used a 1tb 3.5inch drive I had laying about. This also records 24/7 and has a excellent App called XMEye for Android. So for under £450 I have a six camera system all of which track human movement and give me push notifications of anyone approaching the house or vehicles. Someone like the postman will set off three of these cameras, give me three quick notifications on my phone and track his path in and out of my driveway. I have even got one inside the van running off the leisure batteries whilst on the drive.

Camera CTronics

Outdoor Security Camera with Color Night Vision, Ctronics 1080P PTZ Digital Zoom Wifi CCTV Camera Surveillance IP Camera Home Security with 355°Pan 90°Tilt Auto Tracking Human Detection Two-way Audio​

Typical quality

Screenshot_20210402-081355_XMEye.jpg
Screenshot_20210402-081214_XMEye.jpg

Last edited:

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have a couple of Eufy E cameras, one at the front and one at the rear of the property rechargable battery's so no wires run with upto 365 days between charging, adjustable trigger zones and sensitivity, they have their own built in anti-tamper alarms so should deter moving or removal.
Sends a notification to your phone, computer or Alexa of any incursion and records it to the memory card in the hub, no subscription required.
<Broken link removed>

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The reason's I prefer Hikvision over Uniview is simply
1. CCTVkits give a better back up service and
2. As a professional installer CCTVkits give a much better trade discount.

Hikvision offer an online training course and to get the trade discount you will just need a business name (I'll leave the rest up to your own imagination)

Once you get the trade recognition at CCTVkits check out the discount on the alarm systems such as Ajax
Oh er, I did not say anything was wrong with Hikvision but I did say support from Univision is very good.

Regarding discounts Univision try and only sell through approved outlets and you will find minimal kits via eBay and other channels, this means you don’t have to worry about anyone undercutting or leading on a discounted price.

So back to product quality and features both Hikvison and Univision have good quality products.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I use Ring cameras, with a Ring Protect sub. (£80/yr) but I have 12 of them, and if one fails, a replacement is sent out f.o.c..... Used mainly for hedgehog watching, but have three at the front of the house, and one in the ‘van connected to the house Wi-fi. As a backup, I also have a couple of Neos Smartcams in the ‘van too which are usb powered - the Rings are battery/solar.
Do you not have any lookout towers with sniper’s positioned. 😂😂

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
I have a small mobile hotspot permanently powered on in the van as well as a small wifi security camera which is usb powered. If the dog is in the van it's great as we can check on him remotely to see he's ok. If he's out with us, any activation of the camera sends us an alert, automatically uploads a 20 second clip (from the time the camera was activated) to the cloud as well as emailing the clip to us and a friend of ours. The camera was about 25 quid and there is no subscription needed. Not the most high-tech solution, but works for us.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Oh er, I did not say anything was wrong with Hikvision but I did say support from Univision is very good.

Regarding discounts Univision try and only sell through approved outlets and you will find minimal kits via eBay and other channels, this means you don’t have to worry about anyone undercutting or leading on a discounted price.

So back to product quality and features both Hikvison and Univision have good quality products.

I've just read my post back and can see nothing criticising Univision, just that the installer discount from CCTVkits (a Hikvision re-seller) is much higher than any Univision dealer I've found and CCTVkits back up is fantastic.

If I have inadvertently ruffled you feathers believe me it was not meant.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
IMHO for CCTV to be of any use whatsoever you need reliable push notifications of movement. We have all seen pretty much useless CCTV images of scum in hoodies making off with people's property after the event.
Thats exactly right, theres a lot more to fast alerts than just camera choice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back