Security Alarm Up North! (1 Viewer)

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Hi folks,
Having spent some time looking at the subject MoHo alarms on this forum 'Vanbitz' near Taunton seems to be the one to go for. However, we live in the Scottish Borders and I wondered if any member could recommend an alternative a bit further North? I am looking for a 'dog-friendly' alarm/security system.
many thanks,
Nevis

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
We went down to Vanbitz from Fife (y) Great friendly site with all facilites next to the workshop and a bus ride/walk into Taunton while the work is being done. Dog friendly too.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
We went down to Vanbitz from Fife (y) Great friendly site with all facilites next to the workshop and a bus ride/walk into Taunton while the work is being done. Dog friendly too.
Many thanks, Now I think that could be our Plan B!
Can I ask if you have ever had the alarm sound with Dog inside?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
You can disable the internal alarm for animals left inside or when you are sleeping . In my opinion the best alarm you can get .

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Don't know of any "Northern" alarm fitters, but I have been down to VanBitz with two of my vans for alarm and other bits fitting, and I live on the Durham / Northumberland border. I just made it as part of a trip away to Somerset / North Devon area. Your funster discount will go some way to off set the diesel cost(y) Well worth the journey.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
Don't know of any "Northern" alarm fitters, but I have been down to VanBitz with two of my vans for alarm and other bits fitting, and I live on the Durham / Northumberland border. I just made it as part of a trip away to Somerset / North Devon area. Your funster discount will go some way to off set the diesel cost(y) Well worth the journey.
I think I am being won-over to this idea! Many thanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
interesting query above regarding the alarm going off with a dog inside

we have a vanbitz alarm and can set the internal sensors to off for night use or if leaving Lola inside and us out so as not to set it off ourselves

but from what I hear these alarms are seriously noisy, possibly damaging to health, if activated by attempted break in while we were away Lola would literally go bonkers while the alarm sounded

no problem when we are there we can cancel with key fob, I doubt that Lola is up to learning how to use the keybob at her age, :) will review setting it and leaving her in, just depend on her face and bark for security (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
interesting query above regarding the alarm going off with a dog inside

we have a vanbitz alarm and can set the internal sensors to off for night use or if leaving Lola inside and us out so as not to set it off ourselves

but from what I hear these alarms are seriously noisy, possibly damaging to health, if activated by attempted break in while we were away Lola would literally go bonkers while the alarm sounded

no problem when we are there we can cancel with key fob, I doubt that Lola is up to learning how to use the keybob at her age, :) will review setting it and leaving her in, just depend on her face and bark for security (y)
You can silence the internal sirens so that it is only the external ones going off - Blue LED switch beside the Red Internal sensor "off switch". This does dramatically reduce the noise.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I went to Vanbitz from Glasgow. Very Happy with the Strikeback Alarm, Non-starter and solar panels :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You can silence the internal sirens so that it is only the external ones going off - Blue LED switch beside the Red Internal sensor "off switch". This does dramatically reduce the noise.

interesting, I don't have the big bad system, mine is either on or off :)(y)

I get confused on the names, luckily there are only 2 :LOL: still don't know what I have :LOL:

mine is the less expensive version :)(y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
interesting, I don't have the big bad system, mine is either on or off :)(y)

I get confused on the names, luckily there are only 2 :LOL: still don't know what I have :LOL:

mine is the less expensive version :)(y)
Yours is Strikeback and you don't have to worry about internal sirens

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yours is Strikeback and you don't have to worry about internal sirens

thanks Eddie, I will have a reassuring chat with Lola :)(y)

but don't tell these guys caught on our CCTV on Monday o_O

IMG_4378.JPG

IMG_4377.JPG

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Dont bother...

put one of these on your external doors

upload_2018-1-25_13-17-40.png

I sell them for £5.00 EACH plus p @ p

To get the delux version, add on of these..

JS80285001.jpg
@eddievanbitz

That should be enough to put anyone off..

On a serious note, well worth the visit, free parking, free hookup, free booze and bacon butties...

Go for it....

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Nope
Many thanks, Now I think that could be our Plan B!
Can I ask if you have ever had the alarm sound with Dog inside?
No problem at all. You can immobilise the internal alarms from the key fob you'll get and then the dog is no problem.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
As always, folk have been incredibly helpful here. Many thanks for the time you take to help out a newbie. It looks like a trip down south will be a priority when my MoHo arrives!

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
As always, folk have been incredibly helpful here. Many thanks for the time you take to help out a newbie. It looks like a trip down south will be a priority when my MoHo arrives!

I would suggest that if you going to get a Vanbitz alarm (Growler / Strkeback) and / or Non-Starter, you call them and book a provisional date as soon as you know a delivery date for your van as they get booked up very quickly. It could otherwise be a 2 month plus wait if you don't have a date in their diary.

Cheers Trevor

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
I would suggest that if you going to get a Vanbitz alarm (Growler / Strkeback) and / or Non-Starter, you call them and book a provisional date as soon as you know a delivery date for your van as they get booked up very quickly. It could otherwise be a 2 month plus wait if you don't have a date in their diary.

Cheers Trevor
Thanks Trevor, I've been quoted a build date in April but there's bound to be slippage no doubt!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We had our van bitz alarm fitted by an agent(RV tex) quite a lot of years ago as they were much nearer to us, it was a poor installation and kept going wrong, not sure if they still have fitting agents but if you want one best go to Taunton.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
We had our van bitz alarm fitted by an agent(RV tex) quite a lot of years ago as they were much nearer to us, it was a poor installation and kept going wrong, not sure if they still have fitting agents but if you want one best go to Taunton.

We no longer as we haven't now for many years have any fitting agents that we recommend.

Among poor workmanship with regards to installations and when a number of companies seized trading the support wasn't there for their customers. So we decided that we no longer would want agents offering our products.

But on the plus side what it now means that when customers travel to see us they also get a free holiday on Cornish Farm Touring Park (y):LOL:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Another vote for VanBitz.

We made the trip from West Yorkshire to them and it was well worth it. An excellent installation, reliable alarm, and bl**dy loud too. Post installation support (user error, naturally) from the team has been superb.

In fact we even went uninsured for theft cover for a week as we couldn’t get cover without a Cat 1 alarm, and didn’t want the dealers normal offering as it is an inferior product...

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We no longer as we haven't now for many years have any fitting agents that we recommend.

Among poor workmanship with regards to installations and when a number of companies seized trading the support wasn't there for their customers. So we decided that we no longer would want agents offering our products.

But on the plus side what it now means that when customers travel to see us they also get a free holiday on Cornish Farm Touring Park (y):LOL:

Yes agree entirely, RV tex ceased trading and we had to come to you, which we should have done in the first place in hindsight.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We went to Cornish Farm (Van Bitz) from the Scottish Borders. The alarm on the previous van (not Van Bitz) was rubbish and we didn't use it. The Van Bitz alarm is the bees' knees and more. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got a local car security firm called by Kingston Car Sound in Hull to install a Cat 1 alarm for us after we had some messing about with the one we were originally having put in. The firm is well versed in both car and MH etc alarms so we were happy to go there they were well priced too, we also liked the fact that they are local to us so if we have any issues which we can't sort out we can simply take the van back to them. They removed the earlier part-installed Toad alarm for nothing (usually charge £50) and also discounted the cost of the new alarm by £49 to £350 (should have been £399) and set it up to work with our existing Fiat fob plus a separate 'blipper' for me. They also bought the Toad from us for £50 which was about half what we paid but we couldn't really do much else with it anyway. They were very good and will certainly use them again in the future without hesitation.

The alarm we got has internal sensors which can be turned off for when we're in it or leave the dogs in on their own.

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
We got a local car security firm called by Kingston Car Sound in Hull to install a Cat 1 alarm for us after we had some messing about with the one we were originally having put in. The firm is well versed in both car and MH etc alarms so we were happy to go there they were well priced too, we also liked the fact that they are local to us so if we have any issues which we can't sort out we can simply take the van back to them. They removed the earlier part-installed Toad alarm for nothing (usually charge £50) and also discounted the cost of the new alarm by £49 to £350 (should have been £399) and set it up to work with our existing Fiat fob plus a separate 'blipper' for me. They also bought the Toad from us for £50 which was about half what we paid but we couldn't really do much else with it anyway. They were very good and will certainly use them again in the future without hesitation.

The alarm we got has internal sensors which can be turned off for when we're in it or leave the dogs in on their own.
That's an interesting option Minxy Girl. Thanks for taking time to provide the details. It's a long time since I was in Hull and they seem to have gone the extra mile for you. I'll have to make a decision once I have a delivery date!

OP
OP
Nevis

Nevis

Free Member
Sep 24, 2017
Scottish Borders
Funster No
We went to Cornish Farm (Van Bitz) from the Scottish Borders. The alarm on the previous van (not Van Bitz) was rubbish and we didn't use it. The Van Bitz alarm is the bees' knees and more. :)
So it is do-able! I was hoping there would be an option close to home but I need to look on it as an opportunity to travel!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back