Securing 2nd Battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CJB, Jun 20, 2013.

1. CJB

CJB

Ratings:
    +63
    Hello,

I have just purchased a second battery. The other battery has metal brackets to hold it down, but there is nothing for a second battery.

I was thinking of a strap over the top and screwing the battery down via the screw holes in the skirt around the base.

Any comments or better ideas?

2. cmcardle75

cmcardle75

Ratings:
    +264
    You can get proper metal hold downs from eBay for under a tenner. You just need to cut some slots in the base for them to engage.

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers

Ratings:
    +1,728
    Assuming you have enough space in your battery box for a second, just no means of holding down, you can use a webbing type strap which you can get from camping stores.

I fyou do not have room in the box, you may have to purchase a sealed battery box and locate under a bench seat or suitable alternative - just remember to drill a hole through the floor and poke a vent pipe through. If fitting in the opriginal battery box with the first, you may be able to use a t peice to utilise the vapour pipe from the first.

4. jb0371old

jb0371old

Ratings:
    +409
    I replaced the original 85amp battery by removing the wooden box, and buying the plastic boxs.

To stop them moving around I placed some small pieces of wood around the base so that it wont move , but before I screwed down the battens I placed some straps underneath to keep evertyhing in place.

I could take a picture later on if you wanted

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ratings:
    +23,669
    Agree with drilling hole for vent pipe. However don't do what a selfbuild friend did and drill through and into the exhaust silencer box:ROFLMAO: