Secure your windows locks (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Just got an email from Vicarious books who are selling an ingenious gadget to go on all types of window locks on your m'home from Lock M Out.
I googled and found this
£9 from them and £11.99 from Vicarious. I'm not bothered about the difference between Vicarious and the manufacturers prices because I like Vicarious and think they desrve to survive in these diffficult times so the reason for the post is that to do all our eight locks would be expensive and I wondered what you all think. I suppose in the scheme of enjoying our expensive hobby its not much but everything adds up in the end!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Had them fitted for past 4 years.

Brought them at a rally when lock-m-out had a stall.

Worth the money in my opinion, even as a deterrent and clear indication as to the levels of security you've incorporated.

You don't need them on every single window catch. I have 2 on the large windows (6 locks on 3 windows) and 1 on a side slide window.

OP
OP
S
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thanks. We did wonder if we needed them on all the locks on every window but then thought that maybe if thieves managed to get one lock open that didn't have the security on it the could just pull the window open from there. What do you think?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Like relying on a piece of chocolate to keep the lid on a hot teapot. the windows are PLASTIC Oh Please! and a good pull on a corner rips the catches off along with the bits of bent tin you are relying on for security. lock-m-out covers are a gimmick and worthless for security

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Like relying on a piece of chocolate to keep the lid on a hot teapot. the windows are PLASTIC Oh Please! and a good pull on a corner rips the catches off along with the bits of bent tin you are relying on for security. lock-m-out covers are a gimmick and worthless for security

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Yep, sure the windows are made of plastic, but a deterrent like I said.

And besides, it makes me feel better:)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Windows on Motorhome's are plastic. A stanley knife would soon get a theif in.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We've got them as a deterrant hopefully someone would think twice and move on we bought ours at malvern
With funster discount

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So on that basis, when you go away in your van you leave the front door to your house unlocked.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So on that basis, when you go away in your van you leave the front door to your house unlocked.
no I use decent locks on all the windows and doors, which have toughened glass and stainless steel hardware

if you push gently on a motorhome or caravan window, they flex easily, showing how easy it is to pull the window open regardless of the plastic catches,. I have seen loads of vans broken into this way.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I have put a trembler alarm on each window that is visible and signed should a thief want to break in at least he’s going to make a noise and then the strike back alarm will activate as well.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
no I use decent locks on all the windows and doors, which have toughened glass and stainless steel hardware

if you push gently on a motorhome or caravan window, they flex easily, showing how easy it is to pull the window open regardless of the plastic catches,. I have seen loads of vans broken into this way.

And most houses are broken in through windows toughened or not. On your doors do you have hingbolts. It’s the hinge side that’s kicked in mostly. If you have hingebolts. Is the door frame reinforced and so on. Your wasting your time with locks if they want to get in they will. But you still lock them.

As for van windows. Most are tougher than you think and the corners are recessed making it harder to breakin without using tools. The same tools that could easily break into your house. But you still bother to lock it. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ANYTHING that a determined thief wants to break into, given tools and time, they will breach. plastic windows take mere seconds to open and the resulting damage is often more expensive than what they take

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The whole idea of crime prevention items is to deter prospective thieves who are very often opportunists and do not want to be delayed,seen or heard so if you are able to fit devices that are highly visible and obviously are going to delay them or force them to make noise they are more likely to move on to a van that is going to be easier to breach, therefore IMHO it does not need expensive locks which obviously on a flexiglass window will not enhance security greatly,whereas something like tremblers are very visible and are going to be noisy, will probably deter more at less cost.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So why fit “decent” locks on your house then?

For exactly the same reason people fit window locks. Deterrent and peace of mind. :D
it slows the bastards down long enough to see the beware of the dogs signs long enough for it to register in their drug addled brains and go away

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think thieves are cowardly scum. They don't want to be noticed in the most part. So if smashing a window will get them attention they are likely to move on.
So if you have some additional security that will cause them to lose time and perhaps bring attention to themselves and the van nearby doesn't which will they go for?
Let's say you are on an aire near calais (usual scare story). Thieves are wandering around at night. You have deadlocks on the doors and these on the windows. Will they still attempt to break into your van or will they move onto the next van without deadlocks and window security?

I don't use these devices, but I can imagine scenarios where they will save you.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Easy enough to break a toughened glass window if you know where.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I have just emailed via the Lock M Out website to see if they can offer an online Fun discount code - ideal for Xmas! :)
Did a search & can't find any info. but if there is already one then please post here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back