secure storage (1 Viewer)

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hi everyone. Having taken delivery of my Mileo 286, I notice there are no anchor points in the garage to secure our two electric bikes and other bits of kit.
Any suggestions you may have for securing items safely, would be appreciated.

Regards DelMar.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
I think you can buy the bars and bits and fit them to the floor or walls yourself, sure I have seen them on ebay.
I have used bungee cords and strapped my deck chairs to the sparewheel.

Tezza

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Thanks Tezza, will have to do some research, maybe email the factory and see what they suggest, also check out ebay.
Del.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
remember to ask Marquis, you probably have a 10% voucher to use with them when you bought the van

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi Delmar

If you are around any update on the new van, how you getting on, any issues yet?

Tezza

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hi Tezza.
Just returned after a week away and the 286 performed well. After two nights at VanBitz we headed for a site just outside Wells, so got everything tested over another five day period and everything worked as it was supposed to. Weather was cold but the heating kept us very warm and comfortable.

We tried different heights with the drop down bed to save crossing over each other to get out, this enabled one of us to slip out onto the cab seat, then underneath the bed to the loo. It worked, but will it last?

Like you have said previously, we also found the two wardrobes

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Sorry, slips----rather cold also, which could be a condensation problem in waiting and need watching.
The Fiat drove well with plenty of power so all in all we are pleased with it so far. We left the heavy table behind and used a very light camping table instead, when not in use we stored it in the cab area out of the way.

I think a good indicator was that we were comfortable with the 286 layout and quickly got used to it's workings. Lets hope we don't have too many problems.

Regards DelMar.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Yeah I agree, we use some coat hanger type moisture traps, these hang on the clothes rail and the water collects the the bottom half of the bag, seem to work very well.
But be aware and don't do what we did, we put a big moisture trap on the wardrobe floor (in another basket) on the bathroom side and forgot about it, then we thought we had a leak on the back wall but in fact the trap had a crack in the floor of the container and very sticky water was everywhere, both wardrobes, garage, kitchen floor, took us ages to clean it up, but relieved that it wasn't the van at fault.

i'm in the process of making another table using the legs off the original one, the new ones we looked at were either too expensive or too low to get our legs under, not sure if it will work, we will see.

Where you off to next?

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hi Tezza.
Where are we off to next, good question. We have changed our minds so often we are still unsure.
First it was Italy, then Spain, then France, but after talking to some people when away last week, Portugal has also been added to the list. I'm hoping after next week to book a crossing, which is much later than usual.

Another trip we have talked about is the " Romantic Road" in Germany. But not this year.
As you can see, although experienced motorhomers, we seem to be more confused than ever, possibly because of how long we have waited for delivery of our vehicle, therefore unable to book a crossing and too much time to think, with no decision yet made.
This sums up what's great about owning a motorhome. But hopefully we will be away before the end of May for about six weeks.

Reading the hand book of our 286 it says the vehicle in running order includes driver 75kg, full tank of water, therefore 127kg and 90% of fuel. So these figures are over and above the 380kg of payload. As I never travel with a full tank of water but about 27litres or less, this means I have an extra 100kg of payload.
This I will check when in full touring mode at a local weighbridge.

Regards DelMar.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
One thing I'm not sure about are the tyre pressures for the Mileo 286, on handover, these were pointed out to me inside the the drivers door, but I think these are for a white van driver.
On a recent trip the wind although not excessive made the 286 a little skittish, I thought maybe the tyre pressures were too high.
I will try and get some info from Mitchelin re recommended pressures for Agilis tyres on the motorhome.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Thanks Peterc10, that makes sense, I will check that out.

Regards DelMar

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
I had puncture safe put in my Tyres and the guy reinflated them to 60PSI as we nothing to go on, on my trip to Scotland i found the van a bit wallowly on overtaking so after we arrived I increased the rear pressure from 60 to 66 and she handled much much better.
The Tyre rating is 70PSI max

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Mine at the mo are set at 72.3psi front and 79.5psi rear, as per handover, I am positive these are far too high and are Fiats recommended pressure for a working delivery van.
None of my previous MH's were ever that high.

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Hi everyone.
I have spoken to Michelin Uk re Agils camping tyres 215/70/15.
These are the pressures they recommended.

Front 63psi rear 80psi, tweek the rear, 1psi at a time if one finds this too hard, but on no account drop below 72psi on the rear.
I think I will start with 76psi on the rear a happy medium and take it from there.

Hope this helps.
DelMar.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Good investigative work Delmar, Just be careful, check the pressure rating on the Tyre before over inflating, I think mine says 70PSI max

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Tezza, you should have Agilis camping tyres on your van which take a higher pressure.

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Nah mine came with Vanco, max 69PSI, had these on my last van when new and found them very soft, had to change them around 18K miles, worn out, then switched to Michelin Agilis.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
On my Vanco sidewalls it says 69 PSI it also states do not exceed 5.5 Bar which as near as dammit to 80 psi,

OP
OP
D
Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Re my request for ideas about securing our electric bikes etc, I have now fitted 2 Fiamma garage corner bars 200cm × 5cm.
These are fitted to the floor and base of each wall on each side of the garage, had to cut one because of the spare wheel storage, but not a problem.
I also bought a tension strap, threaded this through the eyelets, weaved it in and around both bikes from one side of the garage to the other, protecting each of them with pipe insulation to prevent scratches. Tension then applied and both bikes secured, no movement.
Most of this was done from the garage access door inside the van, once the stap was threaded through the rear wall bar. Other bits and pieces were fitted in around the bikes.

This worked well during our last trip.

DelMar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back