Secure Parking In Spain To Leave MH (1 Viewer)

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Been working on a plan for 2019 prior to a bit of full timing maybe in 2020

Which is to take the MH down to Spain in January 2019 and stay for a few weeks then leave the MH down there

Been looking at Chris Parking and from what I see seems pretty good as a place to leave the MH for a few weeks fly back do some work then fly back done again and keep repeating this through the year.

Sorted insurance on MH and security etc

Anyone got any views on this and any recommendations. Good bad or ugly.

Go to do some work next year but really like the idea of just flying in and out as and when I can with everything down there

Cheers
GB

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Will your insurance cover you to leave it unattended? in Europe as usually there are restrictions to how long it can be left away from your stated place of parking (driveway ,storage etc)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
Monty don

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Yes it will
I have a slightly different set up with insurance from the norm
So Im covered
Thanks

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We could do with a list of secure motorhome parking in Spain. May I add that the Motorhome Aire near Dos Hermanos (Seville) would be one to include. Others have recently been mentioned near Alicante and Malaga. They all seem to provide airport transfers.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be interested in who gave the insurance ??? I have left van at storage and campsites in the past but must admit I risked it . :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Monty don

Monty don

Free Member
Oct 15, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Since 2000
Yes indoor.
Whats the official line on a vehicle in Spain on uk plates for an extended period of time
Is it 6 months or 12 or can you just wing it before it technically needs to be registered?
What if you moved about the EU

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Been working on a plan for 2019 prior to a bit of full timing maybe in 2020

Which is to take the MH down to Spain in January 2019 and stay for a few weeks then leave the MH down there

Been looking at Chris Parking and from what I see seems pretty good as a place to leave the MH for a few weeks fly back do some work then fly back done again and keep repeating this through the year.

Sorted insurance on MH and security etc

Anyone got any views on this and any recommendations. Good bad or ugly.

Go to do some work next year but really like the idea of just flying in and out as and when I can with everything down there

Cheers
GB
Our van is at Chris Parking at the moment! We wanted more-or-less exactly what you do, but in our case just for the winter. We took the van over in September and left it at Christ Parking at the end of the month. Then back out in mid-October until 9th November and plan to continue, although there's a slightly bigger gap until we next go out.

From our perspective, Chris Parking has been excellent and great value - we are booked in for 6 months and have free airport transfers. The site is like Fort Knox and our van is in the enclosed parking hall. We called in in February this year to check the place out and made a reservation there and then. Paying €400 for the half year, which I reckon is reasonable, and much better than having the van parked on the drive at home in the wet and cold. By the way, when we dropped off last time, the hall was getting pretty full.

Oh and yes, insurance was a challenge, but managed in the end - so all risks covered there. If anybody wants info on that score just ask.

My understanding is that a foreign registered vehicle should only be in a single European country for a maximum of 6 months out of 12. But it might be possible to achieve your objective by storing for some of the time in different countries eg France, Portugal etc.

Last edited:
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've done this using Umbrella parking beside Alicante airport. Chose Alicante Airport as there are dirt cheap flights from Aberdeen (where I am) so you might want to have a look at different flight routes to decide which airport you want to park beside.

I didn't tell my insurance but my van isn't worth that much.

Never been asked about length I have had the vehicle in another country. My guess is you will be fine until you need to go back to UK come MOT time anyway.

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have stayed on an aire in Malaga it is also a secure storage site with covered bays. It has 24 hr guards with dogs. I believe they can arrange transport to the airport. There is gantry for washing your van. I have not got the Aires in Spain and Portugal book to hand as it is in the van but you will get full details from there

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it 6 months or 12 or can you just wing it before it technically needs to be registered?
6months but technically you staying 90 consecutive days become a resident automatically & therefore make the use of the van illegal as a 'resident' cannot drive a foreign registered vehicle. By leaving & returning the clock resets for you.
6 consecutive months for the van is a problem ,or could be if they were inclined to do anything about it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
6 consecutive months for the van is a problem ,or could be if they were inclined to do anything about it.
So just to clarify, do you think we are in contravention of Spanish law, by having the van located in the country for 6 consecutive months - whilst we are coming and going to and from the UK, with a maximum stay in Spain at any one time of less than 30 days?

If things go to plan, during the year to 1st April 2019, we will have spent:

Mallorca - 7 nights
Mainland - 24 nights
Mainland - 25 nights
Canary Islands - 9 nights
Mainland - 11 nights
Mainland - 13 nights
Mainland - 21 nights

TOTAL - 110

But the van will only have been kept and/or used in Spain for a maximum of 6 months during the year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Our van is at Chris Parking at the moment! We wanted more-or-less exactly what you do, but in our case just for the winter. We took the van over in September and left it at Christ Parking at the end of the month. Then back out in mid-October until 9th November and plan to continue, although there's a slightly bigger gap until we next go out.

From our perspective, Chris Parking has been excellent and great value - we are booked in for 6 months and have free airport transfers. The site is like Fort Knox and our van is in the enclosed parking hall. We called in in February this year to check the place out and made a reservation there and then. Paying €400 for the half year, which I reckon is reasonable, and much better than having the van parked on the drive at home in the wet and cold. By the way, when we dropped off last time, the hall was getting pretty full.

Oh and yes, insurance was a challenge, but managed in the end - so all risks covered there. If anybody wants info on that score just ask.

My understanding is that a foreign registered vehicle should only be in a single European country for a maximum of 6 months out of 12. But it might be possible to achieve your objective by storing for some of the time in different countries eg France, Portugal etc.
Not:D2:D2 much of a van if you cant park it in the wet and cold,,,,thought thats what they were built for,,,and 400 euros for 6 months,,,sounds expensive to me,,but all to their own,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So just to clarify, do you think we are in contravention of Spanish law, by having the van located in the country for 6 consecutive months - whilst we are coming and going to and from the UK, with a maximum stay in Spain at any one time of less than 30 days?

If things go to plan, during the year to 1st April 2019, we will have spent:

Mallorca - 7 nights
Mainland - 24 nights
Mainland - 25 nights
Canary Islands - 9 nights
Mainland - 11 nights
Mainland - 13 nights
Mainland - 21 nights

TOTAL - 110

But the van will only have been kept and/or used in Spain for a maximum of 6 months during the year.
But the van will have been in Spain for longer than 6 months,,BUSBY,,

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Not:D2:D2 much of a van if you cant park it in the wet and cold,,,,thought thats what they were built for,,,and 400 euros for 6 months,,,sounds expensive to me,,but all to their own,,
I agree, 'value' is in the eye of the individual.

For me, insurance approved security; weather-tight storage; regular battery charging and transfers to and from the airport - not to mention the convenience of motorhomng in southern Spain whenever we like during winter - for circa £355 is just fine! :)

What would you consider acceptable value, for a similar service accessible to Alicante, southern Spain's airport offering the biggest choice and most competitively priced flights from the UK?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back