maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
best way is to immobilise the engine by putting a secret switch on the fuel cut off solenoid, it will never start and they would have to tow it away!

Currently looking into additional security and found this buried in another thread about wheel clamps. Like the sound of it but have no idea how to fit it. Is it only a DIY thing or could I get one fitted by someone who actually knows what they're doing? :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Currently looking into additional security and found this buried in another thread about wheel clamps. Like the sound of it but have no idea how to fit it. Is it only a DIY thing or could I get one fitted by someone who actually knows what they're doing? :RollEyes:
Simple diy job or garage will do it for you :thumb:
some soleniods are buried in the fuel pump so difficult to get at directly but find the wireing that goes to it, with ign on find the live one and cut it
run both cut ends to a suitable hidden switch and its done:winky:
Just dont forget where you hid it:Doh:

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Possibly better than a secret switch would be to put a fuseable link in the live feed, then all you have to do is take the fuse with you in your pocket and replace when you're back in the vehicle. The fuseable link would then not need to be so hidden as a switch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Personnaly, stick with the switch if that's what you fancy, fuses are not realy meant to be moved constantly and can and will break.

Upvote 0

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
We fit these to our vehicles:

Link Removed

You can also attach the key to your keyring so there's less chance of losing it.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We fit these to our vehicles:

Link Removed

You can also attach the key to your keyring so there's less chance of losing it.

Any self respecting thief would just wrap a bit of wire around the connections and off he goes.........

Doug...

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Only if he can find it ...

True, but if he is under the bonnet trying to get is going he stands a good chance of spotting the nice big switch, they might be low life's but not all of them are stupid.

Doug...

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
used to have a very similar item bought in south africa.

simply 3 'normally open' relay's in a fancy black box.

trace fuel pump live, cut and re-connect to one set of output wires on the pretty box.

do the same with the starter seloniod feed and, as it was a petrol car at the time, the ignition coil.

auto-arming on turning off ignition and just one 'secret' micro push button to deactivate with ignition on.

Cost......around R35........£7 at the time.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
When I bought a 1949 MG tc in the 50's it had an ordinary brass light switch in the ignition circuit.This was positioned in the footwell and couldnt be seen-you had to know where it was :winky:

Mike

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any self respecting thief would just wrap a bit of wire around the connections and off he goes.........

Doug...
Sorry Doug, but unless the scroat intends push starting the vehicle, it would need to be more that a 'bit' of wire...it would be carrying full starter current....400/500amps.
and you aint going to just wrap that round the terminals, but i do understand what you mean :thumb:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
When I bought a 1949 MG tc in the 50's it had an ordinary brass light switch in the ignition circuit.This was positioned in the footwell and couldnt be seen-you had to know where it was :winky:

Mike
Hi Mike
I also had a MG mine was a later model which somebody in the past had fitted a cut off switch to the ignition, I had to take it off it kept cutting in at the most in convenient times:Angry::Angry:, never did put an other one on, On the Vintage cars we had I always put a battery cut off switch to be on the safe-side of electrical faults. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Sorry Doug, but unless the scroat intends push starting the vehicle, it would need to be more that a 'bit' of wire...it would be carrying full starter current....400/500amps.
and you aint going to just wrap that round the terminals, but i do understand what you mean :thumb:

True, but I did not want to complicate the post.

I'm sure you remember when starters had an external solenoid on the starter and a screwdriver would start the engine no problem at all, didn't do the stud threads any good though.

Doug...

Upvote 0

Chani

Free Member
Mar 26, 2009
Somerset
Funster No
True, but if he is under the bonnet trying to get is going he stands a good chance of spotting the nice big switch, they might be low life's but not all of them are stupid.

Doug...

They're not under the bonnet on either vehicle, and when the key is removed it's just a black piece of plastic with a hole in the middle. Only the key is red.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thanks everyone for your ideas. The 'secret switch' version is still my favourite and seems fairly easy to install - now I have to decide where to hide it. :Smile:

One other question has sprung to mind tho': would fitting something like this affect the van's warranty?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They don't need much of an excuse, to avoid warranty problems a proper propriety immobiliser should be installed
If your vehicle is new enough to have warranty issues does it not already have a factory fitted system?
Geo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
They don't need much of an excuse, to avoid warranty problems a proper propriety immobiliser should be installed
If your vehicle is new enough to have warranty issues does it not already have a factory fitted system?
Geo

It's a used van but it comes with a warranty. It has a basic factory-fitted immobiliser but I thought that that would be known about by any thief, so liked the idea of an additional 'secret switch'.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back