Jul 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two Years
Greetings
We've just bought our first MH - leaving several tents behind. The last owner's Towtal tow hitch is plated: Max Down Weight 130kgs; Max Draw Weight 1000kgs so we can't put a scooter or small m'cycle on it as intended. We are complete (pensioner) novices and any advice on the pros and cons of using a small trailer - to carry a m'cycle or Smart car, or maybe an 'A' frame to pull a Smart car would be much appreciated. We didn't particularly want to add any extra length to the MH (28') but it appears this is now the only option. A bicycle rack is not a realistic option as we intend to travel further than our legs will now propel us!
:helpsos:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Cotswold lad and welcome. :welcome:We started MHoming 18months ago and love it- even if we are between mhomes at the moment!
I know someone more experienced than us will be along soon to give you an answer.
Lucille

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
You also need to consider rear axle weight as weight on the tow bar can lighten front a bit and put all the load on the rear axle. So check axle weights at a weigh bridge.

No idea about draw weight - can't be tow weight as 130kg nose is quite hefty.

Have you considered GOOD electric bikes? 15mph and 20 mile easy range? These will fit on a rear bike rack.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Motorcycles/Scooters

Hi I had a Towtal Scootrack that accepted my 250 Yamaha Enduro (106kg.) , however although it was legal i wouldn't recommend . I agree 2ndary transport essential 3-4 options 1 Cycles -PEDAL/ELECTRIC/PEDELECS 2 A-frames 3 Trailers for car/scooter /motorcycle Over the last 6 years i have tried them all sometimes at the same time ! Your needs constantly change -we fulltime and month to month find we need something that we have not towed/carried with us happy looking Al

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi and welcome Cotsweld Lad:thumb::thumb:

Have a read of thread "disaster towing smart car":Sad:

Click on search at the top of home page, type in the title and click "go"

Its a long thread, but will answer some of your questions.:Cool:

We all make our own choices, if you intend touring only in UK, then an A frame (I think) is the answer, if in doubt about the Smart, then there are other models. We use a Suzuki Altro, the small Fiat is popular, as are Corsa's etc.

I think I am correct that an unbraked trailer with a max weight of 750 kgs, can be towed, over that it has to be braked. How heavy is the motor cycle?

The vin plate, (under the bonnet) will give you the train weight, less m/h weigkt = the max weight you can tow, including A frame or trailer + car/motor bake.

This is a start for you, others will be along shortly.

Good luck.

Nomadic

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool:We have a KIA Picanto Toad pulled by our Swift Suntor 630G. Just been away for 4 days and never even noticed it was there until we needed it. We are usually cyclists, but a Tow Car allows you to get about more in the typical UK weather.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, there seems to be enough there to put a small m,bike n still tow an a frame . daxweighs 80kg leaving 50kg for aframe they dont put hardly any weight on ball . lots kgs spare.

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi and :welcome:

We've generally used bikes for shortish journeys, public transport for longer ones and occasionally get a hire car for a week or so when down in Spain / Portugal. We've found public transport to be pretty good wherever we've been, although a bit of planning is sometimes needed.

We've toyed with the idea of an A frame but the horror stories and car mods put me off; might look at a trailer for our Panda in the near future.

Electric bikes might be a good option; they can be a bit heavy to lift onto a high bike rack I believe, so you might need one of the racks that drop down and then wind up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i use both an A frame and a trailer depending on where/what im doing.

a bike trailer can have the load adjusted back or forth to allow a minimum hitch downforce so taking the load off the rear axle and allowing more usable payload and of course it can be used for other purposes as well.

an A frame will only impose, roughly, its own weight down on the hitch so would be a better option if you travel close to the max payload.

whether towing the bike or the car i have to check my rear view camera from time to time just to make sure its still there.:winky:

the only time the car makes any difference is if i have to make very rapid manouvers.....emergency lane changes etc then you can feel it wanting to continue straight on for a split second.

OP
OP
Cotswold Lad

Cotswold Lad

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two Years
Wow...........thank you for the suggestions. I believe we will just get used to the rig first of all without adding to its 28' length with undue haste. Evaluating some of the suggestions is fun and we realise that's what the forum is all about. I think it's 'shank's' pony and public transport for a while but we really appreciated the welcome and the helpful tips. If anyone has electric roller-skates for sale we may be interested; they can go in the garage!
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wow...........thank you for the suggestions. I believe we will just get used to the rig first of all without adding to its 28' length with undue haste. Evaluating some of the suggestions is fun and we realise that's what the forum is all about. I think it's 'shank's' pony and public transport for a while but we really appreciated the welcome and the helpful tips. If anyone has electric roller-skates for sale we may be interested; they can go in the garage!
:Smile:

you could try a pair of these.

Link Removed

hydrogen-peroxide rocket powered roller skates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back