Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have a second leisure battery that I have fitted to my MH. I have seen a couple of different ways to wire these up in parallel and wanted to know if what I had done was correct. Cant believe I spent 18 years working at BT with huge banks of batteries that caused me no problems, now, it seems, there are "better" ways of doing things!
So, I have 2 x 105 amp batteries, sitting side by side under the offside side facing sofa, both in secured battery boxes and breathing through a tube through the floor. Both batteries ( same type and size) have clamp and screw terminals. I have connected the second battery neg lead( clamp) to 1st battery ( screw terminal)
Pos lead from second battery ( clamp) to first battery (screw terminal) via 25 amp fuse and holder. Both leads are about a foot long and about 2mm multistrand cable ( from my old BT batteries) First batt pos then goes via another 25a fuse to the van 12v wiring
Is this correct? I have seen diagrams that suggest the pos lead from batt 2 goes to the van wiring via a 25A fuse and 1st battery's Pos terminal is connected to this via a 25A fuses. So, 3 fuses in all. Does this make sense?
Allan

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
im no electrician but the cable sizes and fuses seem undersized to me a discharged battery will draw as much current as the alternator can provide

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Sorry, thats a typo, cable size is 5mm, which is bigger than the original cables and fuse is the same as the original inline fuse, so i am not bothered about them, its the method of linking them that got me wondering.
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonytange

Free Member
May 19, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 98
No no no do not connect the battery's this way it will output at 24 volts and blow up your electrical units lights etc for 12volts connect +to+ - to - the - going to earth use a fuse no more than 20%above the Max output input you need

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
easy........positive from one battery ALWAYS goes to positive of the second, or as already said...you get 24v.

connecting the main van 12v supply wires to either battery, or even pos of one and neg of the other if access is awkward, will give the same results.

if the inter-battery leads are short and direct then only one fuse will be needed in the pos wire....if the batteries are quite far apart, or the link wire could chaff and short to earth, then 2 fuses are recommended as in the attached image.

cross wiring only really works if you have 4 or more batteries then its a minefield of different configurations.

Attachments

• 03 May 2010.jpg
    03 May 2010.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
No no no do not connect the battery's this way it will output at 24 volts and blow up your electrical units lights etc for 12volts connect +to+ - to - the - going to earth use a fuse no more than 20%above the Max output input you need

They are connected in parallel as I stated at the start of my post, so no worries there.

PJ, both cables are only about a foot long and both go inside the plastic battery boxes, no metal or anything else to chafe so I have fitted only one fuse ( batt 2 on your diagram), but I can see your reasoning and I will fit a second fuse on the other end of the + wire at Batt 1. Referring to your diagram, I also have a fuse between 1st battery + to hab 12v.
Thanks all
Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back