Second leisure battery question (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Just picked up my motorhome (second hand) and it only has one leisure battery. Should I be buying a second battery or not? If so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I would wait……see how the existing one performs and then you can judge if you use enough power to warrant the additional battery.

You may find your existing battery is failing in which case a new one may suffice or you could fit a matching pair of new batteries.

You may find you don’t spend much time off grid and mainly on sites with EHU I’m which case one will be enough.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just picked up my motorhome (second hand) and it only has one leisure battery. Should I be buying a second battery or not? If so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
If it were me, I'd just see how you get on with the existing one.

If you've got a fridge that can run on gas, OR you plan to use mains electric hook-ups at campsites, then you won't necessarily need a second battery.

We've always managed comfortably with just the one.

If you find you need a second, that's the time to sort it out - but try without first, would be my advice. :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It really depends on the type of camping you intend to do. If your using lots of campsites and will use their electricity then one is probably fine. If you want to be off grid a lot then the more battery power you have the better

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
What method do you have to charge the existing leisure battery.
Do you have a solar panel.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Just upgraded to two new leisure batteries and solar panel. Got engineer to to it so quite costly. After three weeks away this year so far, wildcamping with the odd night on a camp, I'm not convinced I needed the new kit. . If I was doing a month or two in Euope then yes. I would hold off as others suggest. Just make sure your existing leisure battery is in good order because it is such an.important item for a trouble free trip.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
We’ve been off grid this weekend! Battery fully charged. Solar panel on roof and tonight we’re low on power. Not been watching tv and have used minimal lights. Fridge on gas. I think our battery maybe old as we’ve only had van 8 months. Not sure how long it’s been in. Would you guys advise a new battery? We only have one and from memory it’s a 120ah one

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We’ve been off grid this weekend! Battery fully charged. Solar panel on roof and tonight we’re low on power. Not been watching tv and have used minimal lights. Fridge on gas. I think our battery maybe old as we’ve only had van 8 months. Not sure how long it’s been in. Would you guys advise a new battery? We only have one and from memory it’s a 120ah one
Not sure where you have been but the weather in Bristol was very grey, not much charge from my solar over the weekend.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
Not sure where you have been but the weather in Bristol was very grey, not much charge from my solar over the weekend.
New forest. It’s not the solar I’m concerned about it’s the actual usage. Have hardly used power. Thinking a new battery is needed but not sure what people think/ how much they get from one full battery. Caravans and mohos on site all watching tv tonight. If I turn mine on with a light battery level goes to 11.5v on display.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
What lights ? If halogen change them to LED
A7FCAF68-0444-4E79-B48B-605ED177CE94.jpeg

These led type. Roughly all this size. Some slightly bigger or smaller

Jun 4, 2019
North licolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Power can drop at night without using much, but if the power increases during the day with light it should be ok. Our charge drops to 12.5V sometimes 12.2V in the evening it never drops below 12.2V but it's back to 12.7V in the morning, upto 13.5V mid afternoon.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The battery is an energy store - you fill it and empty it, it can't generate its own power. Its level depends on what rate you take energy out, and what methods you have for putting it back.

Power usage depends on exactly what you use. In summer your usage might be minimal, sitting outside chatting and drinking until it's bedtime. A single battery could last a week. Others might be watching TV, charging phones and laptops, running a fan to keep cool, having a long shower each every day etc, so that one battery won't last a weekend.

To get away from handwaving and put up some actual numbers, a good starting point is the energy produced from a 100W solar panel. That's variable, obviously, but 30 amp-hours on an average day, and 40Ah or more on a good sunny day, is a reasonable estimate. Many find that in summer with a 100W panel, the 30Ah or so is enough to stay off-grid indefinitely.

I know you didn't mention solar panels, but I'm just giving that as an example of a quantity of energy usage. If you're using 30Ah per day, this is the reason people go for a second battery. A 100Ah battery may have only 50Ah of usable energy, since mostly it's best to avoid discharge below 50% for optimum battery life.

So the advice to see how you get on is based on this. If you only want to last a couple of days before moving on and refilling while driving, then you might not need a second battery. But for many people who want to extend their time off-grid, it's the first upgrade to make.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Despite having a second battery and solar panels, I needed a battery monitor to see what is going on with the batteries. Highly recommend you consider this if you are going to add stuff to your storage.

Pusscat

Free Member
Jun 16, 2019
Devon UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 320
Exp
Since 2015
What solar charge controller do you have?

we originally had a Sargent one that was originally factory fitted along with a 100w panel. i Was really disappointed with it. I changed it for an votronic MPPT controller and went direct to leisure battery (and also starter batter, votronic controller can do that) and the improvement was like night over day!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back