Second Leisure Battery Chausson (1 Viewer)

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Have new Chausson 640 arriving next week, have asked for a second leisure battery to be fitted and have told it not policy to do so. A friend has just had an extra one fitted to his new Chausson at a different dealer. Anyone had any problems or advice with your Chausson ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cant see how one make of van would be any different than another , electrics still 12 volt or 240 mains, you can have as many batteries as you like as long as they are joined together properly.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
They probably don't like doing it as it involves taking out the passenger seat, or at least it did on my 718 and 717. Highbridge were quite happy to do it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As well as maybe taking out your passenger seat, which is a big, heavy and awkward lump, they might have to fabricate a none standard fastening to hold the two batteries in place.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ha
As well as maybe taking out your passenger seat, which is a big, heavy and awkward lump, they might have to fabricate a none standard fastening to hold the two batteries in place.
d our hab check this week the bloke said he recently fitted a second leisure battery onder the seat it had to be exactly the same as the first one to fit and was b*****r to get in . I suspect its so tight it might not need a bracket!!!!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Ha

d our hab check this week the bloke said he recently fitted a second leisure battery onder the seat it had to be exactly the same as the first one to fit and was b*****r to get in . I suspect its so tight it might not need a bracket!!!!

The standard bracket, at least on ours, has to be replaced to get the second battery in. Not only for the front to back space, but to stop both batteries moving up or down. I'll be putting the 2 new batteries in next week, so will post some pics of how I did it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The standard bracket, at least on ours, has to be replaced to get the second battery in. Not only for the front to back space, but to stop both batteries moving up or down. I'll be putting the 2 new batteries in next week, so will post some pics of how I did it.
Will be interested to see as thinking of doing ours is it a Ford?. Interested to see how to get the seat out for starters!!

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Our supplying dealer fitted an extra 110ah battery alongside the original under the passenger seat last year for our new Chausson 627GA with no issues.

Edit Ford also

Last edited:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Ive got the 620 on a ford base..
I fitted two batteries under the passanger seat...
And the securing plate on the original single battery was modified to secure the two batteries..
Before and after photos in best blue peter tradition:LOL:

20160507_123154.jpg

20160716_165642.jpg

Albi1

Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Stan just found your thread and the pics you mentioned. Looks like you can do it on the ford. Best of luck

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Our Benimar Ford already comes pre-wired for a second battery. They even supply a second battery box and plastic cover for it. Each battery has its own in-line fuse.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I would be interested to hear what story they come up with as to why it can't be done.

OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Here is the wording of an email I received from Chausson
The leirsure battery has to be placed under the cab seat, passenger seat so it is forbidden to fit two leisure batteries under that seat.
If you want a second leirsure battery, you have to see where it will be fitted with the person who will make it.
This is under your and fitter responsibility. This is under your and the fitter responsibility.
If the fitting isn’t correct with regard to the regulation and our recommendations of course the warranty will be invalid.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
I find that really surprising. Benimar include all the necessary bits to fit a second battery under the passenger seat of the Ford. (Ours is just 3 months old.) All the wiring and battery connectors are in place, there is a spare battery vent tube fitted, and they even include the spare battery box and flat cover. Chausson say it is forbidden to fit two batteries in the same model Ford. Benimar and Chausson are both sister companies owned by Trigano.

It may be worth going back to Chausson and ask why Benimar include an extra battery box and pre-fit the wiring for a second battery if it is forbidden.

We looked at the Chausson, glad we finally went for the Benimar.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
so it is forbidden to fit two leisure batteries under that seat.
k
You might also point out to them that ford themselves often fit two batteries under the driver seat plinth... a start battery and an auxillary vehicle battery..
The seat plinths are identical and ford in their recommended procedures in the document they provide to converters make it quite clear its ok to fit additional batteries under the passanger plinth...
I cant remember what they call the document but its available as a free download to anyone from the ford etis site..
Andy.
Ps.. just looked it up...
The document i refered to is the bemm... body and equipment mounting manual... that ford produce for converters...

Last edited:
OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Interesting and thanks to thebriars and Andy, will be sending off these queries to Chausson, wonder how long I’ll wait for a reply and to what they say?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Interesting and thanks to thebriars and Andy, will be sending off these queries to Chausson, wonder how long I’ll wait for a reply and to what they say?

Chausson and the dealer that stick to that line of advice must surley loose any credability...
You havent been given any credible explination as to why it not viable..
If they are suggesting their electrical system ie charger and circuitry isnt up to two leisure batteries it would indicate their product isnt really fit for purpose...
My advice would be just get someone who can do the job and get on with it..
Lifes to short to be dealing with that sort of thing...:whistle::LOL:
Andy..

OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Have sent off query to Chausson quoting the points mentioned above, will also bring these up with the Dealers Rep
Again thanks for everyone’s support

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
You could also ask if their objections are based on mechanical (ie batteries not secured properly) or electrical issues.

Anyway, I have fitted two new leisure batteries under the passenger seat. Not a job I'd like to do every day. I made up some new metal brackets to ensure that the batteries could not move around, tho even without the brackets there was limited space for them to move. But at least it complies with the MOT requirement that the batteries are mechanically held.

IMG_20190319_154608.jpg
IMG_20190319_154337.jpg
IMG_20190319_154325.jpg
IMG_20190319_152611.jpg

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Have sent off query to Chausson quoting the points mentioned above, will also bring these up with the Dealers Rep
Again thanks for everyone’s support

Let us know what they say?

If they say the wiring is not up to it my Chausson is going straight back to the main dealer that fitted a 2nd battery!!

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I removed my battery from under the seat on my Chausson, if for some emergency reason you had to disconnect it , it would take quite a bit of time especially if it was overheating and gassing , I put 2 in the garage ,but, made up a support board to help distribute the weight on the garage floor and also made sure the weight of the batteries was over the chassis , also used steel clamps for security the good thing for me was they were placed quite near the Inverter and the batteries breather system is piped through the floor, the electrical work was carried out by a fully qualified Electrician

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
We have a 2018 Chausson 628eb which we are over the moon with but wish that we had bought the 640 as you have. With experience it is a better layout. The Ford engine is superb.

It is nonsense for Chausson to have refused a second battery. We had a lithium setup installed in the rear garage but would certainly have had a second battery fitted if not. If they won't do it then take it to a auto exlectrician or other dealer and get it done. Keep us informed on what you hear back from Chausson and enjoy the new vehicle.

OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Reply I got from Chausson as you will see they totally ignored the information I sent from other Fun Members.
Dealers told me they used to fit extra batteries but have been told from Chausson not to fit anymore
They say it could invalid the warranty on one hand but say it’s up to the Dealers
Just hope we love our van when we pick it up next week, then it’s down to Vanbitz to get alarm fitted unfortunately they only have time to fit the alarm I have ordered.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Stan,

How are you getting on with the 640? We have the 630 on a Ford. We like it but feel it limits our wild camping needs with only the one leisure battery. Mike.

Jun 25, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Joined 2014
Ive got the 620 on a ford base..
I fitted two batteries under the passanger seat...
And the securing plate on the original single battery was modified to secure the two batteries..
Before and after photos in best blue peter tradition:LOL:

View attachment 290093

View attachment 290096
Hi what was the make and model of batteries please thanks in advance don’t know the vehicle battery do you

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
cant see how one make of van would be any different than another , electrics still 12 volt or 240 mains, you can have as many batteries as you like as long as they are joined together properly.

Possible problem if the battery charger isn't up to charging that amount of batteries. Charger will have to work harder and could overheat/fail.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back