Second Cassette (1 Viewer)

Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Has anyone found it necessary to have a second cassette tank when touring Europe using Stelplatz

Hi sorry if this isn't in the right place - not sure what Im doing yet on the forum. - Ive posted in another place as well as here - sorry I wouldnt normally but Im a bit lost in the woods on here yet.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Never had any problems discharging in Europe (France, Holland, Germany and Italy so far over 10 years). I have a back-up (old) cassette tank from the time I bought a Thetford refresh kit with a new one and have made a mental note to take it next time we go to Scotland. When wild-camping in the Highlands there can be a bit of a time delay between suitable dumping points.

OP
OP
Steadycam
Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Thanks very much. Got a fresh kit to get the wheels n handle version so we now have a spare but as you've said extra cassette is more for when we wild camp in Scotland. Very much appreciate the quick response. Too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have been toying with the idea, like you mostly when wilding in Scotland. a few years ago we would have been ok but if I have a pint now i have to Pee two :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am not over enamoured about carrying a spare cassette. First there is the space factor for the empty cassette, then when full (full) there is the additional weight and finally although collecting vintage wine may appeal to some people..... No! I definitely do not fancy the build-up of hidden gasses, maturing contents or ultimately disposing of same.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
We used to have two. An assuring back-up but one that we never needed to use, even on extended wild camping. Bear in mind that, should you need to start filling a second cassette, you’ll need to ensure that it is stored in a way that there could be no unfortunate circumstances.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Quite agree with above posts re Scotland. We've had a couple of weeks on the Hebrides and emptying points were always an issue. Nearly a disaster when we found the one at Leverburgh blocked. But with careful planning and the odd tree it's doable. Europe is a far easier proposition.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm thinking of making a cover for the cassette so that it looks a bit like a wheeled trolley. I'd add pockets to the cover for gloves, air freshener and wipes then I could take it into a public loo to empty in a more discrete manner. Always leave a facility AT LEAST as clean as you find it ..........

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Quite agree with above posts re Scotland. We've had a couple of weeks on the Hebrides and emptying points were always an issue. Nearly a disaster when we found the one at Leverburgh blocked. But with careful planning and the odd tree it's doable. Europe is a far easier proposition.

the Leverburgh point was blocked last August when we were last there, hopefully not been blocked since then o_O

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Carry a spare cassette in a carry holdall in a belly locker . Not used very often but as posters have said invaluable for off grid and using public toilets to empty leaving no mess, it was useful last year when we lived in Scotland for four months .

OP
OP
Steadycam
Mar 22, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail V line 635se
Exp
Caravanner since 1993
Great - everyone and thanks for posting your tips- very helpful.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm thinking of making a cover for the cassette so that it looks a bit like a wheeled trolley. I'd add pockets to the cover for gloves, air freshener and wipes then I could take it into a public loo to empty in a more discrete manner. Always leave a facility AT LEAST as clean as you find it ..........
You could use a simple shopping trolley ... plenty to choose from ... just find one you can pop it in easily (inside a plastic bag ideally ... just in case of leakage!).

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My van comes New with two cassettes and the spare has it's own locker which doesn't vent to the hab area. I like the thought of carrying a spare and so far I'm pleased to be able to say it's unused.

I hope it continues that way.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to say, we have a spare ... bought it before one of our 7 week trips to Spain/Portugal etc just in case ... haven't had to use it yet but came very, very close a couple of times!

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Ours came with 3! Never used all three but have used 2 a few times when wilding.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You could use a simple shopping trolley ... plenty to choose from ... just find one you can pop it in easily (inside a plastic bag ideally ... just in case of leakage!).

I just wanted something simple I could wrap round and hold in place with velcro!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I just wanted something simple I could wrap round and hold in place with velcro!
In which case cut down a holdall/sports bag to fit round ... (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back