Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
Hi,
I have a problem with my 1991 Talbot Avalon, the second battery does not seem to be charging. It is flat, only showing 10v, with the vehicle running the voltage does not increase. Does it charge from the vehicles alternator directly or via the Zig CF8 unit?
If it comes through the Zig unit does anybody know if there is a seperate fuse I can check for this circuit? I have checked the 3 on the front of the unit and they are ok.
Any other help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi,
I have a problem with my 1991 Talbot Avalon, the second battery does not seem to be charging. It is flat, only showing 10v, with the vehicle running the voltage does not increase. Does it charge from the vehicles alternator directly or via the Zig CF8 unit?
If it comes through the Zig unit does anybody know if there is a seperate fuse I can check for this circuit? I have checked the 3 on the front of the unit and they are ok.
Any other help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil.

Hi, Neil, if the batt is only showing 10v it is probably knackered, so won't take a charge. Take it off and put another(good) battery in its place and see if that chargesup. If it does you need a new battery!
Sorry if this is bad news.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Even if the battery is knackered it will stuill show a higher voltage when on charge, as this voltage is that of the charger rather than the battery so it looks like a fault in the charging circuit, possibly a fuse.

As the battery has got as low as 10v with no load it will be damaged anyway so will need replacing.

Does it charge on mains hookup, if it does it may be a fuse near the split charge relay, usually in the engine compartment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

barno

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
Thanks for the pointers guys,
I changed the second battery today and found an inline fuse in the positive connector, it was hanging on the battery tray and got all corroded and blown. So I replaced the fuse and holder and now all is well.
I thought that there was on power from the second battery because it was flat but it turns out it was this blown fuse as well.

Barno.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back