Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
How many people can sit in a seat facing backwards without seatbelts? I have 2 seats facing forwards with seatbelts, but have been told I use the other seat without belts, is this true? In France as well as here? Don't want to break the law!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Denny, not sure about France but in uk no S/B's req for rear or side facing seat pre 2008 build :thumb::Smile:
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How many people can sit in a seat facing backwards without seatbelts? I have 2 seats facing forwards with seatbelts, but have been told I use the other seat without belts, is this true? In France as well as here? Don't want to break the law!!
Hi Terry is quite right, however check with manufacturer as in certain models it clearly states certain seats are not to be used in transit, ie dinning area seats in my Kontiki were designated for use when stopped only,seat belts are not reqd for side facing seats also.
What insurance implications apply if passengers are injured in seats not designated as passenger seats I dont Know:Eeek:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
I believe the law changes re these seats in May 2009.

Anybody know better?

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Terry is quite right, however check with manufacturer as in certain models it clearly states certain seats are not to be used in transit, ie dinning area seats in my Kontiki were designated for use when stopped only,seat belts are not reqd for side facing seats also.
What insurance implications apply if passengers are injured in seats not designated as passenger seats I dont Know:Eeek:
Geo

Thats funny Geo how come VOSA insisted on checking my diner seats for belts ? :whatthe:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mot Checks are for forward facing seats only inc diner seats, is this the same Vosa that has passed your Motor home with no rear reflectors fitted:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You should go back and DEMAND a fail:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
was wondering about this myself having recently bought mh with side facing seats found there were no seat belts and meant to find out about the law. Don't like the idea of the grandkids being 'loose' though when we get to take them out! so if possible I would prefer to have them fitted.

"the wise man puts himself last and finds himself first":winky:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
It is generally recommended that seat belts are not fitted to sideways facing seats. It is also advised that passengers should not be carried on sideways facing seats when the vehicle is in transit.

Phil.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It is generally recommended that seat belts are not fitted to sideways facing seats. It is also advised that passengers should not be carried on sideways facing seats when the vehicle is in transit.

Phil.

Hi Phil,that is a little different to my understanding,I thought lap belts were ok,but not full belts :winky: Don't know why but I am sure sombody will.:thumb:::bigsmile:
edit now I rememger somthing to do with 3 point belts garotting people while lap belts stop you flying around

Last edited:
R

revbj

Deleted User
side facing seat belts

Don't forget the law is strict about children needing car seats and side facing seats with or without seat belts.. It was the main reason for us having to change our motorhome to include 2 forward facing seats to enable us to carry grandchildren when babies and even now at 3 years old.

best wishes to all
Btrian

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
No matter what the law states I would not risk family members and friends in seats without belts.

Side facing seats are not fitted with belts as they would probably inflict serious injuries in a crash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back