Seatbelt Advice (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2021
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit SWB
I've recently purchased a Ford Transit custom, and has a company install a set of two seats from a mini-bus ( also ford ) behind the front seats - the seats are supposed to be new as they have been removed from a mini-bus as part of a disabled conversion.

The seats look fine ( and new ), but when I sit in them and do the belt up - if I pull hard on the strap than runs from the shoulder to the hip the belt just flows - in the front seat if I do that the belt it sort of locks - but these don't - don't know whether the locking thing is only for front seats because there is more damage to do there, and for rear seats it just sort of keeps you in place.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
All seatbelts should lock when you jerk them forwards.

Someone on here with the solution will be able to help soon hopefully.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
When seatbelts first became law, they were adjustable to fit the person in the seat. They were not self locking like today. If fitted to a vehicle they would not pass a mot. So you need to have them checked out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I've recently purchased a Ford Transit custom, and has a company install a set of two seats from a mini-bus ( also ford ) behind the front seats - the seats are supposed to be new as they have been removed from a mini-bus as part of a disabled conversion.

The seats look fine ( and new ), but when I sit in them and do the belt up - if I pull hard on the strap than runs from the shoulder to the hip the belt just flows - in the front seat if I do that the belt it sort of locks - but these don't - don't know whether the locking thing is only for front seats because there is more damage to do there, and for rear seats it just sort of keeps you in place.

Any advice gratefully accepted.
Faulty locking mechanism.

Needs looking at.

Cheers James

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

The primary mechanism for seatbelt locking is actually decelleration sensing, not sensing the spooling out of the belt. Typically, a sudden jerk does initiate lock, but I'm not actually sure if it is legally required to. The MOT test does not include the operation of the seatbelt locking mechanism, which suggests that they can only be tested dynamically, not by jerking.

You could see if it is working by finding an empty road and braking firmly with a well briefed passenger in the seat. Whilst braking, they can see if the belt can be further spooled out or if it remains locked until braking ceases.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The primary mechanism for seatbelt locking is actually decelleration sensing, not sensing the spooling out of the belt. Typically, a sudden jerk does initiate lock, but I'm not actually sure if it is legally required to. The MOT test does not include the operation of the seatbelt locking mechanism, which suggests that they can only be tested dynamically, not by jerking.

You could see if it is working by finding an empty road and braking firmly with a well briefed passenger in the seat. Whilst braking, they can see if the belt can be further spooled out or if it remains locked until braking ceases.

Additionally, seats from a minibus must only meet M2 standards, whilst vehicles with 9 or fewer total seats need the more strict M1 rated seats. I have no idea if this affects the seatbelt design standards. Of course, some minibuses would have M1 standard seats anyway.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Are the spools mounted at the same angle that they were in the van they came from? If the angle is different it will alter how the lock operates.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Assume the floor they came off, and the one you are fixing them too are both flat?

I can’t see anything else that would suddenly stop them working, and there is no point having/fitting/making a seatbelt that doesn’t lock.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The mounting angle of the reel unit can affect whether the belt is susceptible to jerk locking , inertia is a bigger factor as per cmcardle75 post .
Another important factor is floor strength where the seats are mounted as the belts are integral .

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The MOT test does not include the operation of the seatbelt locking mechanism, which suggests that they can only be tested dynamically, not by jerking.
I’ve had an MOT today, and watched the tester clip in the seatbelts then give them a pull to test the lock mech. Is that not how all testers do it?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted a double mini bus seat in my van with integral seat belts and they definitely lock if pulled quickly.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve had an MOT today, and watched the tester clip in the seatbelts then give them a pull to test the lock mech. Is that not how all testers do it?

Most probably. It is almost irresistable to do so. However, testing on the inertia activation appears not to be on the test list. It concentrates mostly on anchorages, belt and release mechanisms. I'm still unsure if the belt is required to lock on a quick jerk or not and, if so, if testing that is part of the MOT. Obviously, the vast majority do lock this way, but I've no idea if it is a legal requirement.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back